Manchester this summer?

Reads 2802 • Replies 47 • Started Monday, March 28, 2016 10:33:50 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 10:33 Mon 3/28/2016

I need an excuse to fly into Manchester sometime between early June and early October. At the same time, I would rate key places in Cumbria, Durham, East Yorkshire, Northumberland and Tyne & Wear, so the geographic area of interest could be rather broad. Might even stretch into Scotland.

Anything of beery interest around then?

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 12:29 Mon 3/28/2016

Plan to spend a few days in Newcastle. Lots to do beerwise (although I don’t know of any specific events) in some great pubs. We spent four days there recently - although one day was mainly a side trip to Durham - and didn’t get all the good stuff done. You can easily get the Northumberland place tick by a short train ride to Wylam and the pretty good pub right by the station. Northumberlnd doesn’t really have any centres of concentrated beery excellence.

There’s a direct train from Manchester to Newcastle so you don’t really need a car. There’s also a direct train from Manchester to Hull. Hull-Newcastle involves a change at York (or Leeds), which is no hardship bearing in mind that the York Tap is right on the station platform.

To get to the best places in Cumbria you would need a car.

How many days are you looking at for the trip?

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 12:33 Mon 3/28/2016

^^^ god info, thanks. probably two weeks if I return to IndyManBeerCon again this year; three if I don’t

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 12:34 Mon 3/28/2016

Originally posted by chriso

There’s a direct train from Manchester to Newcastle so you don’t really need a car.

is this a thinly veiled reference to the petrol mishap on my last trip??

chriso
beers 7540 º places 736 º 13:05 Mon 3/28/2016

One thing to bear in mind. Cumbria & the Lake District is a beautiful place to visit but, for that reason, gets very crowded at peak times, which rather dulls the appeal. The peak holiday season is June, July & August - even more so when the kids are off school, which is usually mid July to the end of August/start of September. So September might be the best time to visit.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 13:11 Mon 3/28/2016

Originally posted by chriso
One thing to bear in mind. Cumbria & the Lake District is a beautiful place to visit but, for that reason, gets very crowded at peak times, which rather dulls the appeal. The peak holiday season is June, July & August - even more so when the kids are off school, which is usually mid July to the end of August/start of September. So September might be the best time to visit.

yes, Sep would be ideal

Beersiveknown
beers 5380 º places 180 º 15:12 Mon 3/28/2016

Originally posted by Travlr
^^^ god info, thanks. probably two weeks if I return to IndyManBeerCon again this year; three if I don’t

Indyman is 6th-9th October his year; so looks like you’ll be coming end Sept,or forking out for two lots of flights!

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 15:34 Mon 3/28/2016

^^^ sadly, September may be difficult because of work

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 02:21 Tue 3/29/2016

I keep hearing about the Road to Wigan, which may be in October.

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 11:32 Tue 3/29/2016

Originally posted by Erlangernick
I keep hearing about the Road to Wigan, which may be in October.

is it this one? http://www.allgatesbrewery.com/road-to-wigan-beer-festival-24th-march-3rd-april-2016/
looks like it’s going on now, is it more than once per year?

minutemat
beers 14649 º places 551 º 11:36 Tue 3/29/2016

Gene I would consider taking the route Manchester-Huddersfield-Leeds-Newcastle. Some great pubs in Huddersfield including the Rat Brewpub & Magic Rock tap. Leeds is insane at the moment. Too much to mention here. You’d need at least a couple of days to make a dent.