Mangos

Reads 1535 • Replies 9 • Started Tuesday, September 11, 2012 11:18:56 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

HornyDevil
11:18 Tue 9/11/2012

Anyone used them in a sour/funky beer?

Just bought 10 medium-sized ones ’cause they were on sale at the grocery. Figured that I’d let them ripen, peel and chop them, add them to a fermenter, and then rack an existing sour beer onto them.

Any advice?

JoeinDahlem
beers 1664 º places 356 º 11:36 Tue 9/11/2012

I’ve never used them, but I eat a lot of them. I mean, a lot. I think a sour beer is the best route. I would also not wait for them to fully ripen... unripe or just starting to ripen might be the way to go. A more intense flavor thanks to that natural acidity. As the mango ripens (and in fact begins to ferment itself), the taste can get a bit syrupy and cloying. I’ll defer to anyone who has used them in beer, but I’m not sure the fully ripe flavor is what you want.

CLevar
places 23 º 12:31 Tue 9/11/2012

Bought a bunch of dried ones, which will be going into already soured beer (about 1 year old base beer)

bottleforager
beers 3211 º places 63 º 14:36 Tue 9/11/2012

Just traded for a Crooked Stave WWBY... havent tried it yet but its a 100% Brett beer with Mango, Turmeric, Honey and Spice ! Looking forward to trying it with some nice Indian food.

HornyDevil
15:48 Tue 9/11/2012

Originally posted by Lukaduke
Just traded for a Crooked Stave WWBY... havent tried it yet but its a 100% Brett beer with Mango, Turmeric, Honey and Spice ! Looking forward to trying it with some nice Indian food.

Had that one a couple weeks ago and liked it quite a bit.

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 16:52 Tue 9/11/2012

We just brewed a wit beer with amchoor, an Indian spice which is simply dried sour green mango powder. Added at the end of the boil. Has a great sour mango characteristic post fermentation.

CLevar
places 23 º 17:04 Tue 9/11/2012

Originally posted by Davinci
We just brewed a wit beer with amchoor, an Indian spice which is simply dried sour green mango powder. Added at the end of the boil. Has a great sour mango characteristic post fermentation.

I was wondering how this would work...

Any recipe insight? How much of the amchoor did you use?

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 17:13 Tue 9/11/2012

7.5 lbs in a 7bbl batch. I think that comes out around 1.5-2 oz in a 5 gallon batch. Just tossed it right in at 2 minutes. Settled out perfectly in the whirlpool.

Davinci
beers 295 º places 10 º 17:16 Tue 9/11/2012

Oops. my math was off. Long day at the brewery. More like 2.5-3 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

CLevar
places 23 º 18:29 Tue 9/11/2012

Originally posted by Davinci
Oops. my math was off. Long day at the brewery. More like 2.5-3 oz for a 5 gallon batch.

Awesome. Thanks!

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer