RateBeer

Marinade / grilling experiment

read 1617 times • 23 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
Danko
premium
admin
15:10 Fri 4/12/2013

You can marinate over night or longer, then rest meat and pat them pretty dry with paper towels before applying rub. It makes quite a difference for the rub and surface but unless the marinade really sank in you might just as well not bother with the marinade.

 
AdamChandler
premium
beers 3743 º places 260 º 15:12 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by fiver29
Originally posted by adamjackson
Originally posted by fiver29
On a strip I use course real salt and fresh medium ground tellicherry peppercorn. Thatís all you need.


Came here to say this. salt & pepper..but I dip my steak in ketchup cause Iím a redneck.


I donít judge. You can dip your steak in barrel aged kopi ketchup for all I care. I like just good salt and pepper. Not all salt and pepper are the same.


Not gonna one-up but Iím all up on the artisan salt and peppers. We keep a few types and I am pretty picky on what I put on various cuts of meat or dishes. You wonít find McCormic Pepper and Iodized salt in my house.

 
jake65
premium
beers 2901 º places 120 º 16:38 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by fiver29
On a strip I use course real salt and fresh medium ground tellicherry peppercorn. Thatís all you need.


Agreed. I use a little paprika too and once in a while add some minced (fresh) garlic. Makes me salivate... still there could be something better out there, so itís tempting to try this marinade/rub combo.

 
StefanSD
beers 2218 º places 45 º 17:18 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by Godofthecellar
NY strip doesnt need to be marinated its already a tender cut of meat. combining both a dry rub after marinating is flavor overload. if applying a dry rub or seasoning, it should be done prior to the wet marinate.



get a flank steak, or london broil and marinate it in Soy Vey teriaki marinade for 24 hrs... its the easiest and one of the best tasting steaks, chicken, vegetables you could make. This isi my go to when i dont feel like making marinades from scratch.. dont add any seasoning to this marinade, its already the bomb


NY Strip can be marinated to affect flavor, not tenderness. I prefer a red wine marinade for this cut.

 
RABinCO
beers 1399 º places 87 º 17:53 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by StefanSD
Originally posted by Godofthecellar
NY strip doesnt need to be marinated its already a tender cut of meat. combining both a dry rub after marinating is flavor overload. if applying a dry rub or seasoning, it should be done prior to the wet marinate.



get a flank steak, or london broil and marinate it in Soy Vey teriaki marinade for 24 hrs... its the easiest and one of the best tasting steaks, chicken, vegetables you could make. This isi my go to when i dont feel like making marinades from scratch.. dont add any seasoning to this marinade, its already the bomb


NY Strip can be marinated to affect flavor, not tenderness. I prefer a red wine marinade for this cut.


This. In general, marinade doesnít affect tenderness. Though if not marinated properly it can increase toughness. However, salt does help with tenderizing.

 
jake65
premium
beers 2901 º places 120 º 18:26 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by StefanSD
NY Strip can be marinated to affect flavor, not tenderness. I prefer a red wine marinade for this cut.


How long?

 
StefanSD
beers 2218 º places 45 º 18:57 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by jake65
Originally posted by StefanSD
NY Strip can be marinated to affect flavor, not tenderness. I prefer a red wine marinade for this cut.


How long?


Depends on much red wine flavor you want in your steak, how you are going to cook it, and what you are going to accompany it with.

NY strip by itself should have a big beefy flavor and a thick satisfying chew--but not tough. So, mostly I now just use a salt and sugar rub with this cut, but on occasion I marinate it in a bit of red wine.

If I am going to grill on a gas grill or broil, and I am not after too much wine flavor, about a one-two hour marinade is fine.
If I am cooking over an oak wood fire a four hour marinade is good.<br Or you can always marinade overnight if you are after a lot of wine flavor
/>Try topping steak prepared this way with a Gorgonzola fromage and fresh roasted whole cloves of garlic.

A basic wine marinade is a couple of cups of wine a tablespoon or two of soy sauce, a tablespoon or two of lea & perrins, kosher salt, and garlic powder. Submerge meat and poke with a fork a few times to get marinade below the surface. Transfer meat and marinade to a zip lock bag and refer for a few hours.

for wine I prefer Merlot, Cab, or Chianti.






 
portableparty
premium
beers 2096 º places 19 º 20:15 Fri 4/12/2013

Everyone is a grill master when your at home! Thatís the beauty of it! Try, try, try again. Thatís how you learn what to do, and not to do!

 
HighWine
beers 955 º places 29 º 21:57 Fri 4/12/2013

Originally posted by fiver29
Originally posted by adamjackson
Originally posted by fiver29





I donít judge. You can dip your steak in barrel aged kopi ketchup for all I care.


ISO: BA Kopi Ketchup

 
Aurelius
premium
beers 4677 º places 133 º 19:11 Wed 4/17/2013

I now brine everything, spritz with Secret Sauce, and then use Chicago/Montreal steak seasoning at grill time. Itís similar to what you describe

Brine: 1/3 c salt, 1/3 c sugar for 2,3,4 lbs of meat. Water to cover.

Secret Sauce: 1 part worchestershire, 1 part bourbon/whiskey, 1 part malta (unfermented dark beer, you can get it in the ethnic section.) If you want to use dark/amber beer instead of malta that works.

Marinade is a bit ham-handed (hah, no pun intended) for a nice, tender cut like strip.

If Iíve got a borderline cut thatís going to take some finesse - skirt steak, flatiron, flank, sirloin - then add a little something to the brine if you like.