RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Micropubs

read 986 times • 31 replies • posted 3/31/2014 5:50:02 AM

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Erlangernick 1:2
So is it possible to earn enough to live from by running one, just enough to break even, get rich, or what?

Where should I fantasise about opening one? The CAMRA mobile app shows that the CAMRA pub nearest me is in fact, The Just Reproach, a new micropub in Deal. Itís only 437 miles, I suppose I should pop round sometime.

It really does sound like something Iíd like to do.
Reply to OP

Private message Send the author a private message

alovelydrop 7:42
You and me both!

I canít really get my head around how much beer youíd need to sell in order to turn a decent profit (I have very little experience of the trade) but presumably people do, or they wouldnít keep popping up everywhere!

3/31/2014 5:58:32 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

premium
imdownthepub 10217:499
Iím going to visit my first example of this latest phenomenon this week. There must be a massive balancing act between how much you can put through the bar and the counteracting Business rates and rent etc. Iím keen to see how it works.
3/31/2014 6:29:57 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
chriso 7355:371
harrisoni knows a couple of the people who run micropubs quite well. Iím sure heíd be able to provide some feedback on how the economics work.

I think most of them are "semi-hobby" judging by the (usually) limited opening hours.
3/31/2014 6:35:06 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Phil 178:28
they make money. believe me. They are a very very interesting business model. very much in the boot strapped fashion. Just a small, often cheap space, out of the way, low business rates, and low maintenance, over heads etc. and loyal customers - good word of mouth. They work in kent, because of the spaces that are available, so I am sure they are viable elsewhere. They are an old business, revisited.
3/31/2014 6:47:09 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Originally posted by chriso
I think most of them are "semi-hobby" judging by the (usually) limited opening hours.

most of them are full time businesses. The Just is, full time for two people.

thatís the most local to me, some 4 miles. But I do like the Ales of the Unexpected in westbrook. Thatís a full time gig for that guy.
3/31/2014 6:48:51 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Erlangernick 1:2
In our case, it would be one - two persons, me and half the Mrs. Never been to Kent, I suppose the beer down there must be great, given all the hops! No, really, the weather appeals, seemingly the warmest and driest in the whole UK, or so Iíve heard.

If I didnít profess to have an idea of how much work it is, Iíd really like to run a microbrewpub, but Iím getting old for such silliness. A bed-n-micropub sounds interesting, too. Mrs likes the sound of that.

How not to become your own best customer though...that might be the biggest challenge.
3/31/2014 7:05:18 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
harrisoni 13704:21
The ones I frequent are full time businesses. And they make a decent enough turnover. All of the landlords seem very happy and never complain about being strapped for money. As Phil says, they get low rent old shopfronts, do a bit of spurcing up, stick in a stillage and some cooling, buy a till, some glasses and some beer and thatís about it. Crisps, nuts, pickled eggs/onions, a bag in a box cider, a red and white wine, a few soft drinks for drivers. A couple of tables and seats.

First step is to get your 2 licences from the local council and then sign your lease on your space, do it up and bobís your uncle. Lots of help is here

http://micropubassociation.co.uk/

You can do virtually all the research online. And you do fit the right "character" to be a micropub landlord IMO.

Here is a good example of how my local council help people apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol and also licence to sell in a premises along with costs (change of use etc)

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/860/69/

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/910/69

The whole setup is less than £10,000

I did a quick calculation on fixed and variable costs and reckon you can make the initial outlay back in 10-20 weeks.

After that itís all gravy.

Any further help required then BM me Nick.
3/31/2014 7:15:23 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
harrisoni 13704:21
Originally posted by Erlangernick
How not to become your own best customer though...that might be the biggest challenge.

Neil at The Firkin Ale House in Folkestone (one I go to the most) has a rule not to drink before 19.00.
If it wasnít for the fact that I hate the general public and the thought of having to talk to them all day makes me want to throw up, Iíd start one up tomorrow.
3/31/2014 7:19:50 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Well if you want to do a tour, come stay. bring beer. :)
3/31/2014 7:20:59 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Erlangernick

Neil at The Firkin Ale House in Folkestone (one I go to the most) has a rule not to drink before 19.00.
If it wasnít for the fact that I hate the general public and the thought of having to talk to them all day makes me want to throw up, Iíd start one up tomorrow.

even being surrounded by beer, every day, and I have been for most of my working life, I just donít really drink. My job, and pleasure has been getting others to enjoy beer, rather than the consumption myself. Strange as it sounds. Yes, I like to taste. Of course, I will take a big box of beers home, in the name of research, but in general - when I am working, I am working.
3/31/2014 7:28:50 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ