RateBeer

Micropubs

read 1609 times • 31 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 07:33 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
The ones I frequent are full time businesses. And they make a decent enough turnover. All of the landlords seem very happy and never complain about being strapped for money. As Phil says, they get low rent old shopfronts, do a bit of spurcing up, stick in a stillage and some cooling, buy a till, some glasses and some beer and thatís about it. Crisps, nuts, pickled eggs/onions, a bag in a box cider, a red and white wine, a few soft drinks for drivers. A couple of tables and seats.

First step is to get your 2 licences from the local council and then sign your lease on your space, do it up and bobís your uncle. Lots of help is here

http://micropubassociation.co.uk/

You can do virtually all the research online. And you do fit the right "character" to be a micropub landlord IMO.

Here is a good example of how my local council help people apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol and also licence to sell in a premises along with costs (change of use etc)

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/860/69/

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/910/69

The whole setup is less than £10,000

I did a quick calculation on fixed and variable costs and reckon you can make the initial outlay back in 10-20 weeks.

After that itís all gravy.

Any further help required then BM me Nick.

Cheers, Ian (and everybody else).

Itís all just fantasy at the moment, but Mrs & I are discussing what we want to do in a few years, as we donít want to keep doing what weíre doing now for longer than that.

Iíve seen the Micropub Association webbie before, probably from you. Iím glad to see no mention of disqualification for being a colonial, and am intrigued to learn just what a "person of prescribed description" is.

 
alovelydrop
beers 8 º places 49 º 09:06 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni

I did a quick calculation on fixed and variable costs and reckon you can make the initial outlay back in 10-20 weeks.


Ian, any chance youíd send me some figures/workings? No worries if you canít be bothered but Iíd be interested to see them!

 
harrisoni
premium
beers 15317 º places 27 º 09:31 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by alovelydrop
Originally posted by harrisoni

I did a quick calculation on fixed and variable costs and reckon you can make the initial outlay back in 10-20 weeks.


Ian, any chance youíd send me some figures/workings? No worries if you canít be bothered but Iíd be interested to see them!




You have BM

 
Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 10:13 Mon 3/31/2014

One thing is freehold or leasehold. I see quite a few places for sale as freehold, but then thatís buying, not leasing. Which wouldnít be impossible, but, you know...

 
harrisoni
premium
beers 15317 º places 27 º 11:00 Mon 3/31/2014

Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.

 
tdtm82
beers 1251 º places 108 º 12:35 Mon 3/31/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
The ones I frequent are full time businesses. And they make a decent enough turnover. All of the landlords seem very happy and never complain about being strapped for money. As Phil says, they get low rent old shopfronts, do a bit of spurcing up, stick in a stillage and some cooling, buy a till, some glasses and some beer and thatís about it. Crisps, nuts, pickled eggs/onions, a bag in a box cider, a red and white wine, a few soft drinks for drivers. A couple of tables and seats.

First step is to get your 2 licences from the local council and then sign your lease on your space, do it up and bobís your uncle. Lots of help is here

http://micropubassociation.co.uk/

You can do virtually all the research online. And you do fit the right "character" to be a micropub landlord IMO.

Here is a good example of how my local council help people apply for a personal licence to sell alcohol and also licence to sell in a premises along with costs (change of use etc)

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/860/69/

http://www.shepway.gov.uk/content/view/910/69

The whole setup is less than £10,000

I did a quick calculation on fixed and variable costs and reckon you can make the initial outlay back in 10-20 weeks.

After that itís all gravy.

Any further help required then BM me Nick.


Top report mate!

 
Erlangernick
beers 1 º places 2 º 02:53 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.


Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.

 
harrisoni
premium
beers 15317 º places 27 º 03:26 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by harrisoni
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.


Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.


What part of Britain are you looking for Nick?

 
Fin
premium
beers 8424 º places 733 º 04:25 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by harrisoni
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by harrisoni
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.


Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.


What part of Britain are you looking for Nick?


I hear that OX25 is crying out for a micropub Nick

 
Phil
premium
beers 181 º places 33 º 05:38 Tue 4/1/2014

Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by harrisoni
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.


Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.


you need to do it the old fashioned way, and walk the streets. Or call property agents in the area.