RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

micropubs

read 968 times • 31 replies • posted 3/31/2014 5:50:02 AM

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Phil
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Originally posted by harrisoni
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.

Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.

you need to do it the old fashioned way, and walk the streets. Or call property agents in the area.

Oh, yeah, but to get an idea of where to start, it would be nice to see some listings on line. Then plan a trip based on that, find something in person, get Mrs to quit her job, sell the house here, emigrate....
4/1/2014 6:19:44 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Private message send the author a private message

Erlangernick 1:2
Originally posted by Erlangernick
Lease an old shop front for this, ex barbers, corner shop etc.

Havenít yet joined up with the Micropub Association, as they need a credit card for paypal, which I havenít got connected to paypal now. Any idea where to browse for cheap leases? Everything I see at http://uk.businessesforsale.com/ is "well established". No shit holes.

What part of Britain are you looking for Nick?

The warm, dry part, with lots of Mallinsonís around.

Seriously, I think weíd have to be near or at a stretch of coast, as a reward for investing the effort of doing all this. And then of course, warmer and drier would be nicer, so down your way is probably the most logical choice.

I do like the grim north though, and would even go for Scarborough (!).

I think Eastbourne might be ideal. Brighton, of course, but thatís a bit high-end for us. Or a bit inland. (Bicester is maybe a bit far.)

And then the more I think on it, the more I wonder why the hell Iíd want to *run* a pub, rather than sit in one! So maybe a B-n-B. I can make breakies.
4/1/2014 6:25:57 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Fin 7364:543
Donít worry Nick I wouldnít expect anyone to want to move to Bicester, other than great transport links its really dire, really, really dire for beer.
4/1/2014 9:55:28 AM

Post a reply Post reply

BeerBirraBier
Originally posted by PhilMy job, and pleasure has been getting others to enjoy beer, rather than the consumption myself.

And we thank you for it!

Despite none of the ones I go to being prefect, I absolutely adore Micropubs. They could only ever truly work in places like Thanet and thatís whatís great about them. I dread the day we see someone spot an opportunity to make money and start opening a íchainí of them. Not saying thatís likely to happen, just saying I hope it never does.

If youíre travelling a distance to visit a micropub then youíre missing the point ... and thatís what makes your local one worth going to.
4/2/2014 2:55:54 AM

Post a reply Post reply

evilempire 132:26
no micropubs in Sheffield yet...

just saying ;-)
4/2/2014 2:58:00 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
Originally posted by evilempire

just saying ;-)

Youíve got enough great pubs stop being greedy.
4/2/2014 4:32:32 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Originally posted by Fin
Originally posted by evilempire

just saying ;-)

Youíve got enough great pubs stop being greedy.

yeah but no micropubs. If I want to go to my nearest micropub I have to cross the border to Derbyshire. And then I get a nosebleed...
4/2/2014 4:50:08 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
If I want to go to my nearest decent pub I have an eleven mile trek into Oxford and even then whilst the pubs are great for atmosphere and history the beer (generally speaking) wonít come close to what you get, its good admittedly but variety and decent breweries are sadly lacking.

Dave - You are very lucky.
4/2/2014 4:53:37 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Originally posted by Fin
If I want to go to my nearest decent pub I have an eleven mile trek into Oxford and even then whilst the pubs are great for atmosphere and history the beer (generally speaking) wonít come close to what you get, its good admittedly but variety and decent breweries are sadly lacking.

Dave - You are very lucky.

I used to live in Stroud. before the Alehouse or even McSpoons opened. I know the pain of being miles away from decent beer!

but yeah, Sheffield is ace (and I admit the beer scene was a huge factor in me moving here!)
4/2/2014 5:08:53 AM

Post a reply Post reply

premium
RichardW 1502:39
Was really impressed with Beerdock, in Crewe, last week. Tiny narrow shop, with a fine range (circa 200 ?) of bottles lined up down both sides, nicely laid out. Down the middle are some trestle style tables with bench seats either side, then 5 keg taps and a hand pump on the end wall. It probably seats around 20 at the most, but is just a lovely little spot
4/4/2014 12:50:38 AM

Post a reply Post reply

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Reply to Thread     
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ