RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > UK & Ireland | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Mikkeller/Brewdog

read 674 times • 16 replies • posted 6/17/2013 7:32:27 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
MannyGoldberg 160:6
Interesting blog post from Nate Dawg/Southwood.

Looks like the Farringdon bar is definitely off the cards.

http://www.boozebeatsbites.com/2013/05/the-mikkeller-distribution-debacle.html
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
maneliquor 3103:149
Interesting read
6/17/2013 8:51:41 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
jackl 4596:403
Perhaps the fact that Mikkeller gave a company with literally no experience in this kind of business the exclusive rights to distribute their beer in the UK reveals just how relatively immature the market still is over here.
6/17/2013 9:03:36 AM

premium
chriso 7352:371
So, if I interpret that correctly, it boils down to:

"If you could get Mikkeller beers before youíll have to pay more for them because we are the middleman. If you couldnít get Mikkeller beers before thereís a better chance that you will because the distribution will be wider".

To be honest Brewdogís stock management and distribution of their own products has not always been exactly top notch. And then there was the fiasco with their own online shop when they farmed fulfilment out to My Brewery Tap and then wasted no time in passing the buck when things went pear shaped.

Hmm.
6/17/2013 10:19:23 AM

tdtm82 668:77
Nate wrote that blog a while ago. There is a big reason why they wouldnít let Mikkeller/Brewdog run a beer bar. The reason thinking they will promote beverages of high alcohol content with people getting increasingly drunk from the consequences.

This thinking is from the sort of people whom donít visit craft beer bars or even understand the product or alcohol itself unless itís a completely unfounded Government report (donít get me started on those).

The bar was supposed to happen by now and Mikkel still wants a craft beer bar in London. Brewdog have huge logistics issues and quite frankly Iím very surprised that they have done this without trialing a run on one of the smaller UK distribution companies first. I think Brewdog could lose a lot of money with their currently project setups. If you have a delivery route itís no good being the opposite end of London with all of the calls in the other side and having to go back for that. This model I see causing lots of problems.

Iím still annnoyed with how they unfairly blamed My Brewery Tap when it was the delivery courierís fault. So many of these companies rely on third party delivery couriers and with my extensive background in logistics this proves to be unreliable and often the extent of a hot beer - bastardised beer which ends up in my - our glasses.

If they do this internally at has to be structured and complete. They need a lot more vans than they realise and they need a big ops center. Their name is too big now. It will be mental busy. I also think their keg prices are too expensive for most of the bars.
6/17/2013 10:28:45 AM

premium
chriso 7352:371
Originally posted by tdtm82
Iím still annnoyed with how they unfairly blamed My Brewery Tap when it was the delivery courierís fault.

It was Brewdogís fault for not doing their homework properly. Asking what the delivery arrangements would be and then Googling the words "Yodel delivery problems" shouldnít have been too hard.
6/17/2013 10:52:32 AM

tdtm82 668:77
I agree Chris!
6/17/2013 12:21:58 PM

ACD 634:31
The Mikkeller pricing on BD's web shop is one thing, but check out the wild costs of the new Founders beers compared to other online outlets (beermerchants & alesbymail for example) - c40% more expensive. Not so tasty. Hopefully they'll sort themselves out soon.

6/17/2013 12:27:38 PM

hopbomber 107:32
Originally posted by ACD
The Mikkeller pricing on BDís web shop is one thing, but check out the wild costs of the new Founders beers compared to other online outlets (beermerchants & alesbymail for example) - c40% more expensive. Not so tasty. Hopefully theyíll sort themselves out soon.

Indeed, most of the founders at utobeer were under £3 and thatís utobeer!
6/17/2013 1:02:35 PM

premium
Theydon_Bois 8649:620
Its also worth taking into account the freshness when it comes to the likes of Founders.

Never purchased anything than local London beers at Utobeer but have heard stories of tired hops in beers from the US.

I personally donít purchase US hop forward beers in the UK for this reason, however I had a couple of Founders IPA/APAís at a mates BBQ a few weeks ago that heíd purchased via BD online and they were in good nick.

Iíd rather pay 30% for a beer in good condition than 30% less for a dud. Or option 3 - go without!
6/17/2013 1:10:01 PM

hopbomber 107:32
Those founders have just been imported by James clay in the past few weeks so the argument of paying extra 30% for ífreshnessí via brewdog doesnít apply in this instance.
6/17/2013 1:33:20 PM

Home > Forums > UK & Ireland

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers