Mission Street Pale Ale ranked too low?

Reads 1443 • Replies 21 • Started Tuesday, July 31, 2012 1:16:55 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 13:16 Tue 7/31/2012

Just tried this beer for the first time and thought it was great. Was surprised to see how low it scored (3.20). Anyone else agree/disagree?

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 13:32 Tue 7/31/2012

It’s pretty much a flawless beer. It wins a medal at GABF virtually every year, in a tough field with over 100 entries.

That said, I can understand why it doesn’t garner much praise here on RateBeer: it’s not a beer that will blow you away with flavor, and as a result it has a hard time racking up points in a rating system (and beer culture) where people often think "MORE flavor = BETTER flavor." It’s also somewhat lower-gravity and not as impervious to the kind of abuse to which we beer geeks often subject our beers, so you gotta try it fresh to have a fair read in it. Finally, it won’t stand out in many beer lineups with bigger beers, and it doesn’t even aim at all for a prominent hoppiness that tends to get "rewarded" within the style.

It’s "just" a technically flawless beer and a great go-to for those who are fortunate enough to have ready access to fresh stocks of it. Especially for the price.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 13:46 Tue 7/31/2012

not only is it sensitive to age, but it’s sensitive to serving method. small sample sizes may allow you to get a snapshot of a big beer with strong flavors, but smaller beers are generally presented poorly in small samples. "but that’s how the GABF judges taste them!" "yes, but they also are tasting within a style, not putting them up against stronger beers like imperial stout". that’s not how most bottle shares go down. a 2oz pour of pale ale or pilsner will give you a snapshot, but a full serving, with proper freshness, proper gas concentration, proper glassware and a proper pour, that is where you’ll find the real beauty of a beer. or you could just one-and-done tick that mofo, it’s up to you.

bgburdman9
beers 861 º places 25 º 14:04 Tue 7/31/2012

The bottles at my local store always seem to be way out of date. I check every time but it seems like no one is buying it around here.

kmweaver
beers 3208 º places 116 º 14:09 Tue 7/31/2012

Normally I’d point to style percentages... but yeah, even that’s surprisingly low. It’s a damn good pale ale. A regular rotation in our fridge.

cquiroga
beers 371 º places 11 º 14:19 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by kmweaver
Normally I’d point to style percentages... but yeah, even that’s surprisingly low. It’s a damn good pale ale. A regular rotation in our fridge.

See: "No prominent hoppiness, has difficulty standing up even to the hop monsters within its own style."

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 16:20 Tue 7/31/2012

I have a lot of theories.

Trev
beers 2023 º places 24 º 16:23 Tue 7/31/2012

Don’t go to T.Joe’s very often, but when I do I always grab some.
rated it a 3.6 myself which is a decent score on my curve.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 16:37 Tue 7/31/2012

Don’t normally drink beer, but when I do; I make it a Mission St Pale Ale

kmweaver
beers 3208 º places 116 º 16:39 Tue 7/31/2012

Originally posted by Trev
Don’t go to T.Joe’s very often, but when I do I always grab some.
rated it a 3.6 myself which is a decent score on my curve.

One of these days I need to go to T. Joe’s with Joe T. and see if the universe implodes.

flabeer
places 2 º 18:33 Tue 7/31/2012

Well...there’s your problem. It’s available.
To get better ratings it needs to be a "limited release".