RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Mission Street Pale Ale ranked too low?

read 1183 times • 21 replies • posted 7/31/2012 1:16:55 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

sharpe1987 8:
Just tried this beer for the first time and thought it was great. Was surprised to see how low it scored (3.20). Anyone else agree/disagree?
Private message Send the author a private message

cquiroga 371:11
Itís pretty much a flawless beer. It wins a medal at GABF virtually every year, in a tough field with over 100 entries.

That said, I can understand why it doesnít garner much praise here on RateBeer: itís not a beer that will blow you away with flavor, and as a result it has a hard time racking up points in a rating system (and beer culture) where people often think "MORE flavor = BETTER flavor." Itís also somewhat lower-gravity and not as impervious to the kind of abuse to which we beer geeks often subject our beers, so you gotta try it fresh to have a fair read in it. Finally, it wonít stand out in many beer lineups with bigger beers, and it doesnít even aim at all for a prominent hoppiness that tends to get "rewarded" within the style.

Itís "just" a technically flawless beer and a great go-to for those who are fortunate enough to have ready access to fresh stocks of it. Especially for the price.
7/31/2012 1:32:35 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
3fourths 7976:1270
not only is it sensitive to age, but itís sensitive to serving method. small sample sizes may allow you to get a snapshot of a big beer with strong flavors, but smaller beers are generally presented poorly in small samples. "but thatís how the GABF judges taste them!" "yes, but they also are tasting within a style, not putting them up against stronger beers like imperial stout". thatís not how most bottle shares go down. a 2oz pour of pale ale or pilsner will give you a snapshot, but a full serving, with proper freshness, proper gas concentration, proper glassware and a proper pour, that is where youíll find the real beauty of a beer. or you could just one-and-done tick that mofo, itís up to you.
7/31/2012 1:46:16 PM

bgburdman9 857:24
The bottles at my local store always seem to be way out of date. I check every time but it seems like no one is buying it around here.
7/31/2012 2:04:24 PM

premium
kmweaver 3206:116
Normally Iíd point to style percentages... but yeah, even thatís surprisingly low. Itís a damn good pale ale. A regular rotation in our fridge.
7/31/2012 2:09:38 PM

cquiroga 371:11
Originally posted by kmweaver
Normally Iíd point to style percentages... but yeah, even thatís surprisingly low. Itís a damn good pale ale. A regular rotation in our fridge.

See: "No prominent hoppiness, has difficulty standing up even to the hop monsters within its own style."
7/31/2012 2:19:15 PM

premium
SamGamgee 2452:182
I have a lot of theories.
7/31/2012 4:20:51 PM

Trev 1921:17
Donít go to T.Joeís very often, but when I do I always grab some.
rated it a 3.6 myself which is a decent score on my curve.
7/31/2012 4:23:46 PM

premium
GT2 8337:582
Donít normally drink beer, but when I do; I make it a Mission St Pale Ale
7/31/2012 4:37:12 PM

premium
kmweaver 3206:116
Originally posted by Trev
Donít go to T.Joeís very often, but when I do I always grab some.
rated it a 3.6 myself which is a decent score on my curve.

One of these days I need to go to T. Joeís with Joe T. and see if the universe implodes.
7/31/2012 4:39:28 PM

flabeer 2
Well...thereís your problem. Itís available.
To get better ratings it needs to be a "limited release".
7/31/2012 6:33:16 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers