Moderation of places

Reads 6077 • Replies 71 • Started Wednesday, July 20, 2016 3:56:36 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

Marduk
beers 21930 º places 967 º 07:17 Thu 7/21/2016

My couple rule of thumbs for deleting places are:
1) It’s not selling beer at all or it’s main purpose is not to sell beer (fe: Burger King, McDonalds etc)
2) It’s a coffee shop, restaurant, pub etc in a dense area selling only macros and there are better places in close range (old towns, central hubs)
3) If it’s an individual location entry for a supermarket chain (selection is 90% same so why bother?)
4) Duplicate

I do not delete the place if:
1) it is the only place in the district/town/area and selling some beer (small town pubs mainly)
2) if the main purpose is not to sell beer, but got something unique on tap (imagine McDonalds selling Urquell Nefiltrovaný in one of their restaurants in X-City outside of Plzen. Or similar.)
3) Selling very kraft beers

YantarCoast
beers 4627 º places 210 º 09:45 Thu 7/21/2016

Originally posted by Marduk
1) It’s not selling beer at all or it’s main purpose is not to sell beer (fe: Burger King, McDonalds etc)
2) It’s a coffee shop, restaurant, pub etc in a dense area selling only macros and there are better places in close range (old towns, central hubs)
3) If it’s an individual location entry for a supermarket chain (selection is 90% same so why bother?)
4) Duplicate

Going by those rules you could easily delete pretty much all the places that I wrote about in the start of this thread (that have clearly been spam added and unsurprisingly don’t have any ratings).

For example:

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/tashir-pizza-yerevan/62300/

It’s a pizza joint (main purpose: not beer), located in a capital city, and it only sells macros (Baltika 3, 5, 7 and various Armenian lagers).

haukur
beers 2184 º places 32 º 06:08 Fri 7/22/2016

4) Duplicate

I do not delete the place if:
1) it is the only place in the district/town/area and selling some beer (small town pubs mainly)
2) if the main purpose is not to sell beer, but got something unique on tap (imagine McDonalds selling Urquell Nefiltrovaný in one of their restaurants in X-City outside of Plzen. Or similar.)
3) Selling very kraft beers

there is an Icelandic users who has flooded places in Iceland with needless Restaurants which are not beer centric. And rated them all. Very annoying

visionthing
beers 7936 º places 785 º 08:15 Fri 7/22/2016

I have two things on my wish-list:
- A sort of duplicate check when the places are entered. (Other non-beer related sites I use have that) If I for example would try create a new place with almost (or exactly) the same name name and location as already exist in the database - it at least either ask if it’s the same or similar named place (or as one site I’m using is saying it already exist something very similar so an admin has to create or verify that it’s really a new/different place). I do from time to time send the list over the duplicate places I find to the admin so it can be deleted. Often it has exactly the same name. Like this example
- That the listet affiliated user(s) can’t rate the places they are affilieted with. One example is this - The Pub - it’s rated by two people and both have listed themselves as affiliated user(s)....

Oakes
admin
beers 30614 º places 1135 º 10:29 Fri 7/22/2016

Originally posted by YantarCoast
4) Duplicate

Going by those rules you could easily delete pretty much all the places that I wrote about in the start of this thread (that have clearly been spam added and unsurprisingly don’t have any ratings).

For example:

http://www.ratebeer.com/p/tashir-pizza-yerevan/62300/

It’s a pizza joint (main purpose: not beer), located in a capital city, and it only sells macros (Baltika 3, 5, 7 and various Armenian lagers).

That’s a delete.

Gotta be craft beer. And that doesn’t sound like any sort of special selection. Sounds like anywhere in Yerevan.

BlackHaddock
beers 15433 º places 1050 º 11:11 Fri 7/22/2016

Having just spent 4 days drinking in Barcelona with the European Summer Gathering I can honestly say Barcelona has some very good beer bars and shops. However the high scores they have are not a true ’international’ numerical rating.

I investigated some bars and some raters, as I rated the various places we visited once back in the UK: I soon realised that there were a lot of one day ’homer’ raters who have scored anything Spanish/Catalonian 100 or at least over 90.

Someone needs (Admin wise) to have a proper look at some of those guys/bars and clean the act up a bit.

<*))))))><

hawthorne00
beers 8444 º places 63 º 12:19 Fri 7/22/2016

This is the sort of problem that since at least the 1950s has been solved with telephone trees and very basic record keeping. It is surprising that this place resists.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 14:33 Fri 7/22/2016

Originally posted by t0rin0
Originally posted by Travlr
Originally posted by t0rin0
The problem is that as long as they serve beer they’re allowed. Feel free to post a list of all the places that don’t meet that criteria.

I think the criteria are that they have to serve craft beer, and be open for business. So a bar that serves only Bud Light would not be allowed

That’s pretty subjective though. If we’re going by the BA guidelines and calling anything non-macro a "craft" beer then the bar with 4 taps: Bud Light, MGD, Shocktop, and Sam Adams Boston Lager would be valid here.

I agree. I also feel like there should be a rising tide criteria. For example, in Portland, both Apizza Scholls and Trader Joe’s (Cesar Chavez) are listed. Though both carry craft beer, Apizza Scholls isn’t a restaurant with a focus on beer, and if Trader’s Joe’s is listed, then just about every Safeway in Portland should be as Safeway actually has a better selection. But rather than inundate the places list, I think Apizza Schools and Trader Joe’s should go for Portland.

However, for a smaller city, a grocery store might be the only place to carry beer, and as such, would be worth including. Hence each area should probably have its own rules for inclusion.

Oakes
admin
beers 30614 º places 1135 º 14:39 Fri 7/22/2016

Originally posted by visionthing
I have two things on my wish-list:
- A sort of duplicate check when the places are entered. (Other non-beer related sites I use have that) If I for example would try create a new place with almost (or exactly) the same name name and location as already exist in the database - it at least either ask if it’s the same or similar named place (or as one site I’m using is saying it already exist something very similar so an admin has to create or verify that it’s really a new/different place). I do from time to time send the list over the duplicate places I find to the admin so it can be deleted. Often it has exactly the same name. Like this example
- That the listet affiliated user(s) can’t rate the places they are affilieted with. One example is this - The Pub - it’s rated by two people and both have listed themselves as affiliated user(s)....

Done and done. Both clear cut cases.

It is worth pointing these things out when they are identified. Local admins handle places, too, but of course local admins know all the places. So when someone else enters one, it might fly under the radar, especially in a city with 100+ listings.

BlackHaddock
beers 15433 º places 1050 º 11:17 Sun 7/24/2016

Anyone want to investigate this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/user/407365/place-ratings/

or this:

http://www.ratebeer.com/user/151803/place-ratings/

Plenty more for our Spanish admins to look at.

<*))))))><