Monnik/Beer Engine Situ

Reads 1115 • Replies 11 • Started Saturday, December 26, 2015 4:44:13 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 16:44 Sat 12/26/2015

Aren’t these two places owned/operated by the same folks? Since Beer Engine came first, shouldn’t any beer made at Monnik that is intended to be the same as a Beer Engine beer be aliased as such?

For starters, both Beer Engine and Monnik make a Brown Ale called "King George" and a Pilsner called "Hauck’s American Pils," both of which have roughly the same specs...

For any outside observers who are not familiar with the situation, Beer Engine is a Danville, KY brewery, and Monnik is it’s Louisville counterpart, as it is under the same ownership.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15026 º places 435 º 18:28 Sat 12/26/2015

Yeah, just went by Monniks tonight. Probably so - I will fix it.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 19:02 Sat 12/26/2015

Originally posted by shrubber85
Yeah, just went by Monniks tonight. Probably so - I will fix it.
10-4.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 06:47 Sun 12/27/2015

To take this a step further... Should we consider Monnik an independent brewery? Or should all of their beer be entered under Beer Engine with the Monnik Label?

For example, an Eisbock brewed at Monnik would be listed under Beer Engine’s brewery page as "Monnik Eisbock;" almost like a separate series of beers under the same brewer.

Or, maybe we just label Monnik as "Monnik Beer Co. (Beer Engine)" to show their association, and continue to put new beers under Monnik, unless otherwise specified as Beer Engine? Does the new Monnik beer existing necessarily mean that the beer won’t be brewed at Beer Engine under it’s old name?

Questions, questions...

drfabulous
beers 15589 º places 239 º 08:23 Sun 12/27/2015

Differently operated. Instead of guessing, why not just ask them what they are doing? Scott Hand is the head brewer at Monnik and he is not doing the same as Beer Engine.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 12:28 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by drfabulous
Differently operated. Instead of guessing, why not just ask them what they are doing? Scott Hand is the head brewer at Monnik and he is not doing the same as Beer Engine.
Fancy info! Thanks! So, Mr Hand never brews for Beer Engine? But what if some of the beer brewed at both locations are from the same recipes, under the same (I think) owner?

I’ve not yet visited Monnik, so I thought it might be odd for my first contact to be "Hey, I’m on Ratebeer, and I’ve never even been to your establishment, and I have this list of questions..." So I decided to post here and see what people already knew instead of bugging an already busy estalishment (according to facebook).

drfabulous
beers 15589 º places 239 º 13:12 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Fancy info! Thanks! So, Mr Hand never brews for Beer Engine? But what if some of the beer brewed at both locations are from the same recipes, under the same (I think) owner?

I’ve not yet visited Monnik, so I thought it might be odd for my first contact to be "Hey, I’m on Ratebeer, and I’ve never even been to your establishment, and I have this list of questions..." So I decided to post here and see what people already knew instead of bugging an already busy estalishment (according to facebook).

Hand brews at Monnik. Monnik is also a restaurant. They are supposed to be different operations. I’m not sure I understand why one would guess they are the same recipes without asking first. The brewers would know better. I also don’t understand what the big deal is if they are listed separately. There are many operations on Ratebeer listed as separate even when under same management/ownership.

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 14:00 Sun 12/27/2015

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer

Hand brews at Monnik. Monnik is also a restaurant. They are supposed to be different operations. I’m not sure I understand why one would guess they are the same recipes without asking first. The brewers would know better. I also don’t understand what the big deal is if they are listed separately. There are many operations on Ratebeer listed as separate even when under same management/ownership.
As far as the beer is concerned, aren’t duplicate beers on RateBeer aliased? That is my primary concern.

I can’t think of any instance where the same beer has two entries without an alias.

drfabulous
beers 15589 º places 239 º 14:05 Sun 12/27/2015

I can’t think of any instance where the same beer has two entries without an alias.

Not what I wrote. I wrote "There are many operations" in response to your query. Maybe visit Monnik? Since you haven’t been and are guessing, if you visit you can find out if it’s all the same or not. Or email them to ask. You’ll probably find that easier.

My memory is Scott saying that they are different operations. He’s easy to find if you want to ask.

shrubber85
admin
beers 15026 º places 435 º 15:12 Sun 12/27/2015

I just talked to Brian at Beer Engine - it’s a bit complicated but we will keep both separate and probably list all the shared/distributed beers under Monnik (per their preference).

ContemplateBeer
beers 2092 º places 154 º 16:05 Sun 12/27/2015

Not what I wrote. I wrote "There are many operations" in response to your query. Maybe visit Monnik? Since you haven’t been and are guessing, if you visit you can find out if it’s all the same or not. Or email them to ask. You’ll probably find that easier.

My memory is Scott saying that they are different operations. He’s easy to find if you want to ask.
Yes, I was simply trying to focus my query to my primary concern. Either way, I’m glad that Shrubber is on the case, since I’m a bit anti-social.