RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Montana brewpubs battle

read 1408 times • 16 replies • posted 2/16/2013 7:39:24 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
jake65 2616:106
This sucks. I drive through MT a lot. It would suck to lose the majority of brewpubs because they donít bottle or can.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/montanas-ongoing-beer-battle/

Private message Send the author a private message

lithy 2996:156
Just a headís up, I have no idea what is going on with that article, but I would advise anyone reading it to not click any of the links, it seems like every other paragraph is spam with clickable links about medical stuff...
2/16/2013 7:56:00 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
budznsudz 557:9
interesting
2/16/2013 7:59:53 AM

premium
Awwwwww shoot. Works when I tried it... If youíre interested try the other link below or just google the title.

http://growlerfills.blogspot.com/2013/01/montana-tavern-association-takes-aim-at.html
2/16/2013 8:00:29 AM

premium
sthlm 1231:136
Originally posted by lithy
Just a headís up, I have no idea what is going on with that article, but I would advise anyone reading it to not click any of the links, it seems like every other paragraph is spam with clickable links about medical stuff...

That was not the case for me at all. Perhaps you have a virus on your computer?
2/16/2013 8:19:20 AM

lithy 2996:156
Originally posted by sthlm

That was not the case for me at all. Perhaps you have a virus on your computer?

Hmm, odd, I loaded it through Chrome and have no issues, but on Firefox it shows up with 3 or 4 junk links.

Off to run some diagnostics...

Anyway, definitely a rough issue for Montana, many states face similar issues because post-Prohibition laws set up many, many oligarchical type markets for alcohol. Sure it is íunfairí to them strip the value out of these licenses, but was it really a fair way to set up the market to begin with?
2/16/2013 8:26:45 AM

beastiefan2k 2433:177
Hmm, odd, I loaded it through Chrome and have no issues, but on Firefox it shows up with 3 or 4 junk links.

its probably a stupid thing that firefox does. clear your add ons and it should go away.
2/16/2013 1:54:03 PM

beastiefan2k 2433:177
Originally posted by jake65
This sucks. I drive through MT a lot. It would suck to lose the majority of brewpubs because they donít bottle or can.

http://www.washingtonbeerblog.com/montanas-ongoing-beer-battle/

so this is free enterprise? the public has obviously spoken and the old guard wants a return to the way things used to be.

doesnít Missoula have the highest brewery per capita ratio? I feel like a good campaign could change the laws in favor of the breweries.
2/16/2013 1:56:51 PM

premium
douglas88 6022:219
Terrible how money undermines democracy. Utah is like this as well.
2/16/2013 2:12:14 PM

premium
Originally posted by douglas88

There have been plenty of stories about how oppressive Utah is regarding alcohol. How do the taproom/brewpub laws compare? IMO, one of the most frustrating MT laws is brewpubs that donít serve food can only be open from 4-8pm and limit customers to three pints. I am assuming there is more to it that just serving food, like requiring a minimum percentage of sales to come from food otherwise more of them would offer a simple menu just so they could expand their hours. If it were me, Iíd have a Weber off the back door serving up hot dogs and hamburgers or some other nonsense just to get around the law.
2/16/2013 3:40:37 PM

premium
douglas88 6022:219
Originally posted by jake65
Originally posted by douglas88

There have been plenty of stories about how oppressive Utah is regarding alcohol. How do the taproom/brewpub laws compare? IMO, one of the most frustrating MT laws is brewpubs that donít serve food can only be open from 4-8pm and limit customers to three pints. I am assuming there is more to it that just serving food, like requiring a minimum percentage of sales to come from food otherwise more of them would offer a simple menu just so they could expand their hours. If it were me, Iíd have a Weber off the back door serving up hot dogs and hamburgers or some other nonsense just to get around the law.

In this sense, Utah is more liberal. Brewpubs can serve unlimited amounts, but only 4% or below. In conjunction with food sales, bottles over 4% can be sold. Generally, the state taxes alcohol very highly and is way more intolerant than most Utah citizens, Mormon or not.
2/19/2013 1:37:03 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers