Mort Subite brewing tidbits

Reads 753 • Replies 15 • Started Friday, February 1, 2013 11:24:18 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

rotjoch
beers 50 º places 79 º 20:06 Fri 2/1/2013

Originally posted by levifunk
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
Originally posted by levifunk
What I find most interesting is they don’t use a coolship (and even more interesting is that they are a member of HORALS )

there is a reason why not all traditional lambic brewers are part a part of HORAL.

Cantillon is the only one who isn’t, correct?

Girardin is a member, but does not participate in the ’Toer de Geuze’... I don’t know if that is because of Mort Subite or not. This Toer de Geuze will not be visiting Mort Subite nor Lindemans, if I am correct. Tilquin, on the other hand will be a part of the TdG for the first time. I will not miss Mort Subite (no koelschip = no traditional lambic. period), but it is a pity Lindemans is not there. Their lambic, together with the lambic of Girardin (and Boon), is the foundation of a lot of good beer blended by De Cam, Hanssens, Tilquin, Oud Beersel and Drie Fonteinen.

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 20:25 Fri 2/1/2013

The koelschip seems like a weird detail to get hung up on; as long at the wort is inoculated through contact with the natural air, why does it matter?

rotjoch
beers 50 º places 79 º 06:14 Sat 2/2/2013

I thought they added lambic to the wort to kickstart fermentation

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 08:20 Sat 2/2/2013

I judge based on taste. The fact of the matter is, they have as pure of a lambic character as you can get in their Oude products, and they produce a lambic far better than most of their competitors. And if the sweetened lambics are your problem, well I’ve never seen anyone hating on Lindemans when Cuvee Rene is being discussed? If a brewery needs to pay the bills with crap in order to produce a masterpiece like their kriek, I see no problem with that. Although I do think in the current climate that Mort Subite could get by with purely traditional product, especially if they expanded distrobution to the US.

levifunk
beers 12 º 11:46 Sat 2/2/2013

Originally posted by SamGamgee
The koelschip seems like a weird detail to get hung up on; as long at the wort is inoculated through contact with the natural air, why does it matter?

The High Council for Artisanal Lambic Beers seems to agree with you. Also no problem with using syrup, juice, coloring, and/or flavoring. Also no need to ferment/age in oak; stainless steel is just fine.