RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Need help - blueberry beer

read 2916 times • 21 replies • posted 7/13/2012 4:04:25 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

ogivlado 5539:297
My friend is getting ready to make a beer and since he isnít on RB Iím going to be middleman. So here are the things that he would like to know.

Hi guys

Iím getting ready for brewing a blueberry beer for the first time and, as you might expect, I have some questions.
Has any of you had any experience with this style of beer? If yes, can you give me some tips?
I mean I donít know when to add the blueberries. Iím thinking somewhere toward the end of the boil should be ok.
Also do you think that 2kg of bluberries is sufficient for a batch of 20 lit.?
I want my beer to be about 4.5-5.0 in alcohol content.
Iíll be using only Belgian pils malt and blueberries. (I donít want to experiment much with this beer)
If thereís somewhere some link itís also welcome.

Thanks in advance
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
admin
Oakes 12167:630
One thing I know is that some places add blueberries at serving as well. It looks good, if nothing else.

And of course, wild blueberries have a hell of a lot more flavour than ones from a farm. I donít even waste my time with the latter anymore.
7/13/2012 4:08:41 PM

Private message send the author a private message

Christian 11021:235
My suggestion: Deep freeze to break down the skins.

Add berries in secondary fermentation.

Drink fresh to avoid any infections from the berries taking over the beer (assuming this is not a wild beer experiment)

Using pils malt, just enough hops for bittering, and a neutral ale yeast this could be a nice easy drinking late summer beer
7/14/2012 3:12:23 AM

premium
JulienHuxley 2854:198
I made a blueberry beer last autumn. I used 2.1 kgs of frozen berries for 21 l of beer. The base beer was a pale ale, that I had hopped for 45 mins using 1.5 oz Northern Brewer. Turned out to be 6% alcohol. I added the berries to secondary fermentation for 12 days. It wasnít bad, but tasted a little bitter/grassy.

Here is what I would do differently:
Knock back the hops - No need for that much bitterness
Tune down the OG - The blueberries started the fermentation again which I believe led to some hot alcohol aromas
Use more berries - 4.5 pounds was decent for beautiful red purple color and some flavor, but I could have used a lot more. I like Oakesí suggestions of using wild ones (I used a super sweet varietal of farm ones - my aunt owns a blueberry farm).
Give it a slightly longer secondary - Not sure about this one as I was afraid of stuff growing in there that I didnít want. It definitely looked weird but I bottled it early because I was worried. I might try leaving it in there longer next time.

Hope it helps!

Cheers!

J.
7/14/2012 3:23:26 AM

premium
gnoff 7664:416
As per adding fruits to beer Iíve always had the best luck freezing them first, then boiling shortly in water, adding to secondary, leaving for one week.
7/14/2012 4:58:29 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by ogivlado
I mean I donít know when to add the blueberries. Iím thinking somewhere toward the end of the boil should be ok.

Donít add them to the boil. Add them to the secondary. Freezing them first will help break down the cell walls so that more color and flavor are readily available.

Also do you think that 2kg of bluberries is sufficient for a batch of 20 lit.?

I would double that, as that only comes out to be about 1 lb. per gallon.

Iíll be using only Belgian pils malt and blueberries. (I donít want to experiment much with this beer)

A full recipe, including hops and yeast strain, would be rather useful.
7/14/2012 5:19:19 AM

premium
BBB63 5946:133
Use hop that have a currant character like UK Bramling Cross and German Brewers Gold to add more berry notes.
7/14/2012 6:21:32 AM

premium
joeneugs 3108:147
Originally posted by BBB63
Use hop that have a currant character like UK Bramling Cross and German Brewers Gold to add more berry notes.

Also bullion hops might go well with this one. Lots of dark berry aroma.
7/14/2012 7:36:43 AM

premium
bitbucket 2159:63
Add them to the secondary if youíre using one, otherwise add to the primary after a week or so. The best blueberry beer Iíve tried so far used freeze-dried blueberries, which turns out to be a win on shipping costs if youíre ordering on the internets.
7/14/2012 3:13:52 PM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
As an aside, I actually am brewing a Blueberry Berliner today. I am adding 1.5kg of blueberry purťe at the addition OG yeast(16hrs after lacto addition. With that being said, it will depend on the ripeness and quality of the blueberries. Good luck!
7/14/2012 3:25:39 PM

premium
TheAlum 5530:10
Originally posted by NobleSquirrel
As an aside, I actually am brewing a Blueberry Berliner today. I am adding 1.5kg of blueberry purťe at the addition OG yeast(16hrs after lacto addition. With that being said, it will depend on the ripeness and quality of the blueberries. Good luck!

Nice, Brian
7/14/2012 4:04:31 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2 | 3

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add