I recently did a high gravity saison (5 gallons) with honey, candied ginger, and six pounds of blueberries all added to primary.
The blueberries were treated thusly. 1/3 blanched and "dried" in the oven for 14 hours at 165F. This produced a very uneven drying, with some berries having turned to little raisons while others took on a pie-like aroma and flavor. Since this experiment failed miserably, I took the rest of the fruit, blanched them, then combined with the oven berries and froze them all.
When the fermenting beer approached high kreusen I added the honey and ginger, followed by the blueberries.
Itís big and juicy to say the least.
8/2/2012 6:58:19 AM|