RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

New $400 Beer from Carlsberg

read 5334 times • 43 replies • posted 1/25/2008 8:53:39 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
Jeppe 2631:84
Can you imagine, Carlsberg only have to sell 28984064 bottles to be able to pay their Scottish & Newcastle bill.......
1/26/2008 6:07:20 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
DocLock 7861:145
This pricing has hints of extortion and this continued practice has notes of free-market arrogance.

Letís see, I can buy this, or 80 bottles of great craft beer from Caponeís over the next 6 weeks. Iíll take the latter option for 800, Alex.
1/28/2008 10:57:15 AM

footbalm 1219:69
"Hints of"...like when you describing Midnight Sun La Maitresse du Moin???
1/28/2008 12:31:40 PM

premium
yespr 31178:43
Originally posted by BierKŲnig
OK, now lets get back to that discussion about not rating less than pint samples......

Iíll have my four bottles delivered this week (I won that auction from Myrups link). I guess it full pint is the criteria - Ungstrup and I are going to soak ourselves in all 4 bottles

All money from that auction went to charity, beers are split amongst those RBerians willing to pay a share of the cost...so if you swing by Copenhagen i late February/early March...let me know. Still a 5 - to 9 cL sample is going to be between $33 and $51. Again: money went to help kids in Africa - we are just enjoying an overhyped beer.

/Jesper
1/28/2008 12:45:14 PM

puzzl 3251:138
Originally posted by footbalm
"Hints of"...like when you describing Midnight Sun La Maitresse du Moin???

That was my 50th rating, so I was still influenced by what the media considers a proper wine/beer description. It is now 2.5 years later. Furthermore, I am not a professional writer. And there is nothing wrong with using it once in a while, but when every single description in every single publication uses it, it becomes really ridiculous and stupid.

I am really honored by your reading through all my ratings until you could call me out, though.
1/28/2008 1:32:06 PM

premium
omhper 19372:175
Some time ago I was sitting at a good pub in Stockholm, drinking a pint of Nšrke beer when market researchers from Carlsberg came in.
They asked me why I wasnít drinking one of their beers (which was available on som hidden taps). So, trying to put it kindly, I answered that I prefer the flavour of Nšrkeís beers to theirs. They the continued to ask what price they could possibly sell their beer to me at this pub. Looking at my glass and at the Carlsberg taps I gave it some thought before answering them that if they gave me $10 I might consider drinking one of their beers at this pub.

I am not sure how the marketing people at Carlsberg got things so wrong. Even if they try to brew better beers, there is no way these people can make something comparably good to the best microbrewers - yet they demand a price as if theyíd make the worldís best beers. Please donít buy their beer! You know itíll still be mediocre at best, like all their other beers.

If they have their way our hobby will be unaffordable. Rather spend your money on real lambic or other quality beers.

1/28/2008 1:39:17 PM

footbalm 1219:69
Thatís the point. Non-beer geeks may not know any better either.
1/28/2008 1:39:26 PM

puzzl 3251:138
Originally posted by footbalm
Thatís the point. Non-beer geeks may not know any better either.

So what you are saying is, (supposed) experts should do things wrong just because people donít know any better?
1/28/2008 2:07:22 PM

Myrup
2/8/2008 11:48:17 AM

premium
after4ever 6127:230
Originally posted by Myrup
Jacobsen Vintage No. 1 from Carlsberg - 400 dollars a bottle (CBS Early Show via YouTube)

Oh, lord love a duck. Pompous idiotic blowhards trying to sound informed. Saying the beerís "distilled," saying itís "vegetal" to describe the body after pointing out that itís viscous. And a side-by-side comparison with Guinness? wtf? Are they trying to establish right up front that theyíre just regular joes who know nothing about beer: by perpetuating the myth that Guinness is "thick"?

I was literally squirming after two minutes, yet I could not look away. Iím as annoyed with CBS right now as I am with Carlsberg.
2/8/2008 2:19:21 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers