New Beer

Reads 13797 • Replies 170 • Started Friday, November 4, 2011 9:02:47 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 17:12 Wed 2/29/2012

Originally posted by 3fourths
unless you’re a fan of concord grape jelly flavored pancake syrup.

Then rate that shit, yo.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 17:24 Wed 2/29/2012

unless you’re a fan of concord grape jelly flavored pancake syrup.

OBVIOUSLY you just don’t like true, classic saisons! Because what you described is EXACTLY what a saison shou...oh, wait. Doggone it!

Way too expensive; scrolled past.
9% ABV bourbon "saison"; scrolled past.
Mike didn’t like it; scrolled past.

BlackForestCO
beers 978 º places 18 º 18:19 Wed 2/29/2012

Ernest and Mike don’t know shit about beer anyway. I am getting a keg of Miller Chill for my wedding.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 19:34 Wed 2/29/2012

funkwerks has the means to be russian river and hill farmstead level but i think they are going in the wrong direction ಥ_ಥ

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 20:46 Wed 2/29/2012

funkwerks has the means to be russian river and hill farmstead level but i think they are going in the wrong direction ಥ_ಥ

Indeed. They are trying too hard and getting a little too crazy with the brews. Their best beers are their simplest, most restrained ones.

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 21:28 Wed 2/29/2012

Dark Prophet = ewwwwwwww

Caspercot = boring

All the breweries in Fort Collins should pretty much go back to the drawing board.

Ernest
beers 9435 º places 229 º 21:37 Wed 2/29/2012

Originally posted by notalush

Indeed. They are trying too hard and getting a little too crazy with the brews. Their best beers are their simplest, most restrained ones.

I’m not sure "trying too hard" is the right way to describe what they are doing. They boast about traditional saisons on their website, and yet Casper might be the only classic saison they make. They’re not even trying to adhere to the lofty goals which they themselves claim to ascribe to. The trend instead has been to make overly strong, overly sweet, overly expensive beers that they sell as "saisons" but are nothing of the sort, at least in traditional/classic terms. That’s not to say a couple of their beers aren’t good in a general sense, as Belgian-inspired strong ales go...but they’re certainly not the "saison brewery" they set out to be originally. They are part of the Americanized reconstruction/redefinition of what saison is...which is exactly what it isn’t...strong and sweet...that is the antithesis of saison. Mike is right...they have lost their way. Their "Cherry Saison" was insulting, and the end of the road for me. They’re one of many breweries making "fancy beer" (another anti-saison notion) at exorbitant prices. Saison was a simple sustenance kind of beer for farmers that could be consumed in large quantities without getting drunk. How many so-called saisons do you know that are like that? If Funkwerks makes a 3.5-4.5% saison and sells it at half their normal sticker price, then we’ll talk.

notalush
beers 7123 º places 452 º 21:53 Wed 2/29/2012

Originally posted by adnielsen
Originally posted by TAR

Dark Prophet = ewwwwwwww

Caspercot = boring

All the breweries in Fort Collins should pretty much go back to the drawing board.

A little birdy told me that you haven’t been to Big Beaver yet. I think your opinion of Northern Colorado’s breweries will completely change after you try that one.

Are all of their beers named by 12 year old boys? How many juvenile-genital-joke beer names can you have?

TAR
beers 2821 º places 34 º 21:55 Wed 2/29/2012

Originally posted by adnielsen
Originally posted by TAR

Dark Prophet = ewwwwwwww

Caspercot = boring

A little birdy told me that you haven’t been to Big Beaver yet. I think your opinion of Northern Colorado’s breweries will completely change after you try that one.

Are they the ones that brew a beer with a Belgium yeast?!?! Sounds interesting!

Glad you dig ’em. I haven’t paid them a visit but someday soon I’m sure.

3fourths
beers 9492 º places 1576 º 22:00 Wed 2/29/2012

Grimm Brothers could be making Heater Allen german lagers.
Funkwerks could be making Dupont saisons.

WTF is wrong with colorado? ಥ_ಥ

last night I ad to endure gushing praise for Avery IPA ಥ_ಥ

where did we go wrong? ಥ_ಥ

maybe there’s hope. Pateros Creek will save us ಥ_ಥ ಥ_ಥ ಥ_ಥ ಥ_ಥ