New to RB, need help iwth information transferring

Reads 1758 • Replies 17 • Started Monday, September 30, 2013 7:21:23 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

merc7186
beers 3160 º places 208 º 07:21 Mon 9/30/2013

Greetings Fellow Beer Nerds...
I have recently signed up for RB because I am getting sick of the bullshit on another site that I currently use for the moment. Does anyone have an easy way of transferring information from Unmentioned Site to RB? I have roughly 1350 reviews that I would like to move with having to copy and paste all of them...any information at all would be extremely helpful.

Whatup14
beers 3399 º places 302 º 07:30 Mon 9/30/2013

Maybe someone else can correct me, but the copy and paste way will be the only one... But welcome to Ratebeer!

Christos
beers 6111 º places 110 º 07:31 Mon 9/30/2013

Unfortunately only option is copy and paste, we are also using different grades here so you’ll have to adjust yur ratings to that too. It will take a while tranferring your reviews here but it worths it.

Cheers and welcome!

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 07:46 Mon 9/30/2013

Does the other site by any chance sound a bit like ’Here Gbadvocate’ ?

Just saying as you called them reviews and not rates

t0rin0
beers 102 º places 1528 º 08:05 Mon 9/30/2013

As mentioned, it’s not as easy as clicking a button and having all of them copied over. The database is a bit different here (and way better). For example most of the time dry hopped variations of a beer are not considered new entries. So Stone IPA with Cascade dry hops is the same as with Chinook or anything else (dry hops, but spices and other stuff still counts). Vintages also don’t count for the most part (Papier-Bois, Old Guardian, etc). Here is a recent thread that shows some of the rules

http://www.ratebeer.com/forums/new-need-advice-on-adding-beers_238220.htm

If you just copy and paste a couple a day you’ll be caught up in a month or two. It’ll also be the only month where you’ll rate as many beers as the Danes,

And welcome. You’ll like it here.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 08:17 Mon 9/30/2013

If the other site has a way to compile and export ratings into a csv spreadsheet, or DB file, there is a possibility they could be batch up-loaded here. You’ll need to PM Joet for specifics.

Personally I think that it would be much more fun to re-drink and re-rate 1350 beers and only copy and past the ratings of beers you’re not likely to drink again.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:18 Mon 9/30/2013

BA gives major bonus points to beers for appearance and palate, which don’t exist here. So you will need to come up with your system on how to translate scores.

You’ll also find that many beers that BA breaks down into yearly vintages we do not, and some they combine we break out.

Last, you can rate ciders/sakes/meads here that are unavailable there.

tl;dr you’ll have to custom import them and people have had to transfer more than 1350 in the past. It is extremely annoying

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 11:28 Mon 9/30/2013

You could pay a snotty-nosed teenage computer nerd from your neighborhood to do the cutting and pasting for you, keeping him/her off the streets, out of trouble, away from drugs, off the police blotter, and primed for a career on RateBeer when s/he comes of age.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40412 º places 1239 º 11:34 Mon 9/30/2013

Originally posted by Travlr
You could pay a snotty-nosed teenage computer nerd from your neighborhood to do the cutting and pasting for you, keeping him/her off the streets, out of trouble, away from drugs, off the police blotter, and primed for a career on RateBeer when s/he comes of age.

Is that a service you have employed in the past ?

Travlr
beers 33863 º places 4576 º 11:51 Mon 9/30/2013

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois
Originally posted by Travlr

Is that a service you have employed in the past ?
Absolutely. And if you use non-US teenagers, they can drink legally at age 16, so they can set up their own RB accounts.

UDBeernut
beers 2883 º places 348 º 16:08 Wed 10/2/2013