RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

New York Times calls for Anheuser Busch boycott

read 3234 times • 37 replies • posted 5/8/2012 10:41:39 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4

premium
admin
joet 2228:93
Battle of the heavyweights here... And thanks to Adam Nason at BeerPulse for bringing this to our attention.
http://beerpulse.com/2012/05/new-york-times-columnist-calls-for-anheuser-busch-boycott/

But this is about the Pine Ridge incident? Really? A national boycott because of this local incident based on a claim many of us centrists might take issue with or at least are not in strong support of? Really?

--
AFTER seeing Anheuser-Busch’s devastating exploitation of American Indians, I’m done with its beer.

The human toll is evident here in Whiteclay: men and women staggering on the street, or passed out, whispers of girls traded for alcohol. The town has a population of about 10 people, but it sells more than four million cans of beer and malt liquor annually — because it is the main channel through which alcohol illegally enters the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation a few steps away.

Pine Ridge, one of America’s largest Indian reservations, bans alcohol. The Oglala Sioux who live there struggle to keep alcohol out, going so far as to arrest people for possession of a can of beer. But the tribe has no jurisdiction over Whiteclay because it is just outside the reservation boundary.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/05/06/opinion/sunday/kristof-a-battle-with-the-brewers.html
Private message Send the author a private message

Sevenlee 1407:67
You don’t have to ask me twice to boycott AB. Already there
The problem I have with this is why they’re boycotting. I boycott them cause they make shit beer but lines like this really bother me:

..."and fuels alcoholism, crime and misery there"

Alcohol also fuels stunning rates of domestic violence, suicide and crime on the reservation

So by this logic, once someone consumes alcohol they are then officially absolved of all their proceeding actions?
Please, PLEASE STOP blaming alcohol and their makers for these problems! I’m a very firm beliver that we are responsible for OUR OWN actions! and laws and society should reflect that (unfortunately, it doesn’t) Sure we’ve all made a questionable desicion or two when we’ve had a couple but when people say "the evil alcohol made me do it", that’s when I call bullshit.

I’m not American so I not going to give an opinion about Indians either way but if people can’t handle their drink, that’s not Budweiser’s fault. If they were all drinking vodka or Scotch instead, would he call a boycott of Smirnoff or Johnny Walker?

I think this is a local problem that locals need to address and the people who have alcholic issue need to get the help they need. Calling for a nation-wide boycott of AB is a bit rough on them to be fair. We all know they’re a cold, heartless, faceless and money-grubbing corporation that has an unhealthy desire to win, annihilate the competition and make money at all costs but a statement like:

...a giant corporation’s business model here is based on violating tribal rules and destroying the Indians’ way of living.

...is misleading and just simply untrue.
5/8/2012 11:20:43 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
DuffMan 7030:279
Originally posted by Sevenlee
You don’t have to ask me twice to boycott AB. Already there
The problem I have with this is why they’re boycotting. I boycott them cause they make shit beer but lines like this really bother me:

..."and fuels alcoholism, crime and misery there"

Alcohol also fuels stunning rates of domestic violence, suicide and crime on the reservation

So by this logic, once someone consumes alcohol they are then officially absolved of all their proceeding actions?
Please, PLEASE STOP blaming alcohol and their makers for these problems! I’m a very firm beliver that we are responsible for OUR OWN actions! and laws and society should reflect that (unfortunately, it doesn’t) Sure we’ve all made a questionable desicion or two when we’ve had a couple but when people say "the evil alcohol made me do it", that’s when I call bullshit.

I’m not American so I not going to give an opinion about Indians either way but if people can’t handle their drink, that’s not Budweiser’s fault. If they were all drinking vodka or Scotch instead, would he call a boycott of Smirnoff or Johnny Walker?

I think this is a local problem that locals need to address and the people who have alcholic issue need to get the help they need. Calling for a nation-wide boycott of AB is a bit rough on them to be fair. We all know they’re a cold, heartless, faceless and money-grubbing corporation that has an unhealthy desire to win, annihilate the competition and make money at all costs but a statement like:

...a giant corporation’s business model here is based on violating tribal rules and destroying the Indians’ way of living.

...is misleading and just simply untrue.

+1
Very well stated. A much hated and widely maligned corporation makes for an easy scapegoat, but this is a poorly presented argument. First-nations and aboriginal people face tremendous challenges with respect to addiction and other health problems (not just in the U.S., but also in Canada and Australia and New Zealand), and it is such a complex issue that to blame a single manufacturer of alcohol is actually harmful in that it grossly oversimplifies a very complicated problem.
5/8/2012 11:43:47 AM

premium
mcberko 7230:325

The causal link between alcohol abuse and violence is a bit fuzzy, since the true fundamental root causes of violent behaviour lies in more in socioeconomic factors. For example, if you research the work of James Gilligan (specifically his book called Violence: Our Deadly Epidemic and Its Causes) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gilligan), we find a much stronger causal link between the deeply neglected, physically and sexually abusive upbringing of children to violence.

That you’re a firm believer that we are individually responsible for our actions is a misguided view actually. When we understand that our choices, beliefs and actions are all causes by prior events (our childhood, friends, socioeconomic factors and genes to a lesser extent), we realize that the idea of "free will" is a gross illusion. Check out this book for example: http://www.samharris.org/free-will

And actually, our society is structured on this illusion that we each are the autonomous author of our choices, beliefs and actions. The entire legal system along with market economics is all predicated that we have free will. We do not. And understanding this illusion as a society would entail completely restructuring our entire social model.
5/8/2012 11:51:12 AM

premium
DuffMan 7030:279

And actually, our society is structured on this illusion that we each are the autonomous author of our choices, beliefs and actions. The entire legal system along with market economics is all predicated that we have free will. We do not. And understanding this illusion as a society would entail completely restructuring our entire social model.

Descartes is rolling in his grave!
So just to be clear, you’re saying that beer IS to blame for all of life’s problems? Or neglect and sexual abuse? Not sure where this falls into the discussion about the OP...
5/8/2012 12:00:15 PM

premium
mcberko 7230:325
Originally posted by DuffMan

So just to be clear, you’re saying that beer IS to blame for all of life’s problems? Or neglect and sexual abuse? Not sure where this falls into the discussion about the OP...

No, I was just commenting on Sevenlee’s statement that we are all individually responsible for our actions.

And no, alcohol is not the true root cause of most incidences of violence, according to the data. To truly understand this would entail an extremely long analysis which is beyond the point of this thread...
5/8/2012 12:07:57 PM

peteinSD 1406:57
here is the complaint for the lawsuit:

http://www.keloland.com/ClassLibrary/Page/News/files/Oglala%20Sioux%20Tribe%20Lawsuit.pdf

interesting but it’s hard to see how they can connect the dots to assign liability against individuals and companies that engaged in legal activity because those individuals and companies either knew or should have known that third parties used the legally purchased alcohol for illegal purposes.

5/8/2012 12:20:54 PM

Sevenlee 1407:67
Originally posted by mcberko

The causal link between alcohol abuse and violence is a bit fuzzy, since the true fundamental root causes of violent behaviour lies in more in socioeconomic factors. For example, if you research the work of James Gilligan (specifically his book called Violence: Our Deadly Epidemic and Its Causes) ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/James_Gilligan), we find a much stronger causal link between the deeply neglected, physically and sexually abusive upbringing of children to violence.

That you’re a firm believer that we are individually responsible for our actions is a misguided view actually. When we understand that our choices, beliefs and actions are all causes by prior events (our childhood, friends, socioeconomic factors and genes to a lesser extent), we realize that the idea of "free will" is a gross illusion. Check out this book for example: http://www.samharris.org/free-will

Certainly, if you want to talk philosophy, we can jump over to ratephilosophicalquestions.com and expand our conversation in the forums there

I guess the free will I’m talking about is the simple, straight forward personal desicion to either do something or not while intoxicated or not. As you stated, it’s really beyond the scope of the thread here to talk in such detail about the situation.

Let’s at least just agree that alcohol shouldn’t be flat-out blamed for people’s behaviour? ?
5/8/2012 12:55:29 PM

jegross2 1:
Now now. Can’t we just boycoy cheat AB beer and preserve the goose island brand ;)
5/8/2012 1:10:29 PM

premium
brokensail 11599:900
Originally posted by DuffMan

I believe the point he is making is that certain factors predispose you to participate in certain behaviors, make certain decisions, etc. Growing up with no money, in a violent neighborhood, without positive parental/adult influence in your life, etc. is likely going to affect the choices you make and your ability to make the "right" ones throughout your life.
5/8/2012 1:16:47 PM

miketd 125
Pure garbage, but pretty much what I expect from that rag.
5/8/2012 1:24:17 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers