Next Spoons Fest

Reads 13317 • Replies 223 • Started Wednesday, September 5, 2012 1:45:49 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

madmitch76
beers 36915 º places 240 º 13:25 Fri 10/26/2012

Picked up the Avery today. Good stuff but that thin palate would annoy me if I were sessioning it. Feral still the winner so far.

6 Spoons today but their taps were almost identical - much less variety than I have seen before.

SilkTork
beers 7742 º places 111 º 15:16 Fri 10/26/2012

That Feral is very nice.

SilkTork
beers 7742 º places 111 º 15:20 Fri 10/26/2012

The Avery is not for me. I like the taste of malt, and the hops - fairly dry and bitter - dominate too much. But I can see why those who like hops would like it.

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 01:55 Sat 10/27/2012

Originally posted by madmitch76
6 Spoons today but their taps were almost identical - much less variety than I have seen before.

When speaking with the manager of the Folkestone Spoons I asked him about that and he said yes, he gets 30 of them up front and then 20 more in about a week’s time. Given the time to then rack and vent them, it should mean that the following weekend, 2/3 Nov, should be the best time to get the cross over of the 2 deliveries.

So next Saturday 2 Nov I’ll be doing the 13 pub cycle ride hoping to pick up most of the second batch.

Still not had the Feral yet though.

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 02:06 Sat 10/27/2012

Went to Reading last night to see Spector and as one of the spoons was right next door to the venue I popped in. Sampled the Baltijos, the Cambridge Heather and the Liberation Rouge. All drinkable drops but no wow factor. Off to get my barnet trimmed in Camberley this lunchtime so will pop into the JDW there. Expecting less in terms of fest choices but we’ll see !

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 02:08 Sat 10/27/2012

Has anyone ever been to the Crown Rivers at LHR T5 on a festival date?
Flying out next Saturday morning and I normally budget for minimal time at the airport, however if anyone can convince me there’ll be 2 or 3 festival beers on I might set out a little earlier

wheresthepath
beers 3441 º places 279 º 03:39 Sat 10/27/2012

Originally posted by Theydon_Bois

Went to Reading last night to see Spector and as one of the spoons was right next door to the venue I popped in. Sampled the Baltijos, the Cambridge Heather and the Liberation Rouge. All drinkable drops but no wow factor.

If it was the Hope Tap, as I suspect it was, they’ve had the Cambridge Heather on since the start of the week, so probably not at its best any more. Although it wasn’t spectacular to start with.

Haven’t seen the Avery or the Feral in Reading yet. The best I’ve found so far were the Thirsty Beaver (lovely balance, definitely feels like an American amber rather than an ESB) and the lovely mild that is Howling Wolf (incidentally, I notice this is on the database twice - once as Howlin’ Wolf and once as Howling Wolf...). The Hefe Hare was surprisingly decent too for a wheat beer. Perhaps mammals are the key to this festival for me - I’ll have to try the War Horse, Fox and Cotswold Lion to see if this holds true!

The standard seems to have been high so far - all the beers at the Monks Retreat in Reading have been in super condition so far. I’ve only scored two below 3 so far - the Steenbrugge Dubbel (too sweet, too bland) and the Maxim (too boring) - and even they were reasonably drinkable.

Incidentally, that Baltijos is very definitely not a porter! Tasty beer, but definitely something from the European lager stable (marzen? vienna?).

Cheers

Anth

cgarvieuk
beers 37619 º places 457 º 03:42 Sat 10/27/2012

anyone seen the deep shaft or what evers its called yet, its my No1 Want

Theydon_Bois
admin
beers 40489 º places 1239 º 07:12 Sat 10/27/2012

Why I hate spoons Vol . 27.

Turned up at the Camberley spoons this lunchtime and to my surprise 2 of the festival collabs - one I had had the previous night (The Cambridge Heather), the other the Avery which I really wanted to try but NO - this wasn’t the version everyone else has been rating, this was the tripple collab with the available soon brauhaus!

Ayhow decided I’d opt for the 3 x 1/3rd pint deal and plumped for Banks Old Howler, The Titanic Porter and Batemans Combined Harvest (which I’d suffered in the past but needed for a rate)

No - sorry the Titanc has gone it isn’t actually on despite the clip being on show

Ok - I’ll suffer the Ruddles (which I’d not had for 15 years or more but needed for a rate)

No - that went just as the girl started pulling it !

Ended up with a third of Broadside (which I couldn’t remember whether I’d rated or not - I had!)

Rubbish!

Yet again underwhelmed by a Wetherspoons and another reason why I never get too bothered about their fest!

harrisoni
beers 25356 º places 68 º 07:27 Sat 10/27/2012

Ashford Spoons wow what a massive effort. 4 festival beers on all i have had before. Avery Devils Advocate Steenbrugge Dubbel and Red Sails. Cant decide if Avery is hoppy as i stink of cascades after doing a home brew this morning. I guarantee my home brew will be hoppier than this.