Nimbus comes out AGAINST cans

Reads 2021 • Replies 29 • Started Saturday, August 16, 2014 9:03:37 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 21:03 Sat 8/16/2014

I couldn’t get my iPad to copy it properly, but a long, sponsored post in my Facebook newsfeed was a post by Nimbus saying they will never can their beers because of BPA (a short summary of a very long post).

Perhaps someone else can find and copy the whole thing.

There were a ton of comments on both ends of the spectrum, including many age old stereotypes. Comments ranged from:

"Who cares you’re beer sux" (I made those errors on purpose)

to:

"Beer is better from bottles anyway lol"

Thoughts?!

DrSilverworm
beers 11383 º places 123 º 22:36 Sat 8/16/2014

A twitter rant against cans by the owner of Lagunitas comes to mind

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/04/lagunitas-brewing-well-be-the-last-brewery-in-the-us-to-use-aluminum-cans/

He says nothing of BPA, though. His main issue seems to be about how un-green cans are

thome50
beers 1295 º places 34 º 22:40 Sat 8/16/2014

Originally posted by DrSilverworm

http://www.beerpulse.com/2012/04/lagunitas-brewing-well-be-the-last-brewery-in-the-us-to-use-aluminum-cans/

He says nothing of BPA, though. His main issue seems to be about how un-green cans are

This was what I was going to reference as well. I’ve never heard the BPA argument but then again, I’d never heard the un-green argument that Lagunitas put out until I read the twitter rant and the various research into it. That said, more beer should come in cans.

StefanSD
beers 2449 º places 57 º 23:28 Sat 8/16/2014

Originally posted by thome50
Originally posted by DrSilverworm

This was what I was going to reference as well. I’ve never heard the BPA argument but then again, I’d never heard the un-green argument that Lagunitas put out until I read the twitter rant and the various research into it. That said, more beer should come in cans.

BPA’s seem like a good reason not to age or cellar canned beer. No references, but I reason that time is a potential enemy.

Its (BPA liners in cans) also an argument against beer can chicken, or any other cooking, as heat will break down the chemical (references available).

As long as you drink fresh and recycle cans are a good option.

TheHOFF43
beers 2045 º places 169 º 00:18 Sun 8/17/2014

I don’t believe the amount of BPA in canned goods and beverages is linked to any health concerns. I feel like I have posted this link before but the FDA and Mayo Clinic don’t seem concerned so I’m not too worried.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

reggiedunlop
beers 3729 º places 182 º 08:50 Sun 8/17/2014

I recently researched this very topic a bit for an article I wrote that was loosely related. I came across this log post in which New Belgium responds to a consumers concerns about BPA. Take a look... http://www.newbelgium.com/community/Blog/08-06-19/Speaking-of-CANS.aspx

Originally posted by ReggieDunlap
I recently researched this very topic a bit for an article I wrote that was loosely related. I came across this log post in which New Belgium responds to a consumers concerns about BPA. Take a look... http://www.newbelgium.com/community/Blog/08-06-19/Speaking-of-CANS.aspx
Worth posting the response here in full:

Dear Jason,
We understand your concern. There is so much press about bisphenol A these days! We became aware of BPA in epoxy resin can liners during our due diligence prior to deciding on packaging in cans. We looked into the matter thoroughly. What became apparent is that there are no cans whose lining does not contain BPA. The industry is actively looking for alternatives, but as yet, none exist. We still believe the benefits of cans outweigh the potential risk of the liners because the anxiety surrounding BPA seems to have far outstripped the science. For example, The European Unionâs Food Safety Authority exercises a stricter precautionary principal than our own FDA. EU research led them to increase the Tolerable Daily Intake (TDI) of BPA by a factor of five, from 600 parts per billion per day to 3000 parts per billion.
According to the Society of the Plastics Industry, Inc., the amount of BPA migrating from can coatings would result in the consumption of less than 0.105 micrograms (0.000105 milligrams) per kilogram body weight per day. This level is more than 475 times lower than the maximum acceptable or "reference" dose for BPA of 0.05 milligrams per kilogram body weight per day, which was determined to be the safe life-time exposure dose by the USEPA in 1993.
Also, per the European Food Safety Authorityâs risk assessment notes, when BPA is ingested by humans itâs worked on by enzymes, gains a sugar molecule, loses all estrogenic power and is rapidly excreted in urine. But this is not what happens when BPA is administered to rats and mice either orally or intravenously. In each case the metabolic pathways are different, and there is more free BPA and/or other metabolites swimming around. This is, at a highly simplified level, why independent European, Japanese and American risk assessments rejected the studies which claim endocrine disruption.
All that said, we respect everyoneâs right to choose their own level of acceptable risk. In other words, donât worry, Fat Tire will still be available in glass bottles and served out of stainless steel kegs on tap. Thanks for asking!

Clownoisseur
beers 531 º places 1 º 09:13 Sun 8/17/2014

Originally posted by TheHOFF43
I don’t believe the amount of BPA in canned goods and beverages is linked to any health concerns. I feel like I have posted this link before but the FDA and Mayo Clinic don’t seem concerned so I’m not too worried.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-living/nutrition-and-healthy-eating/expert-answers/bpa/faq-20058331

Yea, but the FDA and Mayo Clinic also make a shit load of money off of drugs>side effects>more drugs>more side effects, without offering many "cures"...only "treatments".

The wellness of the public does not seem to be their main concern, but rather stringing them along with other ailments and offering other synthetic drugs in order to keep getting $$$$.

Seems a bit hypocritical of them....so, I would not sink all of my trust into what they are telling us.

/conspiracy theory

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 09:56 Sun 8/17/2014

Anybody find the long Nimbus post?

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 09:59 Sun 8/17/2014

Found it:

"People are always asking me... "When are you going to put your beer in cans?"

In an attempt to minimize the number of times that I have to answer this question and so anyone that follows the Nimbus Brewery webpage will have no need to email me or personally ask me this question, the answer I most often cite is: most canned foods and drink cause me concern because of what the can is lined with. The fact is, the lining of almost all canned foods and drinks are made with a chemical called bisphenol-A, or BPA.

I have long held the position to keep Nimbus Beer in bottles and not to follow the recent trend of some craft breweries. Those that have made the switch to cans or have always marketed their beer in cans act as if they are on the cutting edge of "something big" simply by their putting the fine products they produce into cans and then selling their product to the public without doing the research as to why selling their beer in cans is not such a great idea.

My negative feelings toward this trend have always left me wondering ... why! More recently my feelings on the subject were solidified due to a recent study I ran across and published in the May 2013 edition of the published proceedings of the National Academy of Siences. In that article it documented the conclusion of a long term study of bisphenol-A or BPAs, just how seriously dangerous the chemical, bisphenol-A, or BPA actually is.

The extent of what I had long suspected due to reading several previous (and well hidden, likely even intentionally suppressed from the public’s awareness) publications about this chemical more commonly known as BPA, that when ingested by anyone that chooses to eat or drink foods and beverages from canned containers is basically playing Russian roulette with their health. This study documented the extent to which the hazards of ingesting BPAs pose as they actually affect the way genes work all the way down to the DNA level of the genes inside the brain of rats.

Even the FDA agrees that there is a problem with BPA as it is supporting efforts to either replace or, at the very least, to minimize the amounts of this chemical found in most all canned foods and beverages. And, you know it must be bad when even the very lax FDA is concerned!

The west coast styles of beer (such as we produce) typically being more aggressively "hopped" as is with the IPAs being produced throughout the craft beer industry being all the rage, the more bitter the beer, the higher the risk are to these exceptionally dangerous chemicals. The fact is, all of the ingredients in beer, (yeast, hops and malt) as well as soft drinks are very acidic. Have you ever thought, "this is a fantastic beer but every time I drink it I get acid reflux so bad I can’t sleep or I end up losing my lunch or dinner?"

It is these very acids that cause BPAs to leech from the lining of the can that are sold to an unsuspecting public believing that drinking beer from a can is safe; but, these same BPAs are going right into your body via the beer you drink from a can! The actual level of BPAs in these types of beers have the potential to be so high that, in fact, you should seriously consider not ever consuming any canned beer (or canned foods for that matter) at any time in your home or when you are out and about due to the risk of ingesting BPAs.

Current FDA laws, combined with terrific lobbying in Washington D.C. by the chemical companies that make BPAs and the manufacturer’s of the cans themselves, is the reason that there are no standards for labeling of BPAs in canned products. Always remember, "simply because a can does not say it has or does not have BPAs does not mean that the can does not contain BPAs."

drowland
beers 11069 º places 430 º 09:59 Sun 8/17/2014

Be safe, be wise and at all times, AVOID CANS! Buy your beer in brown glass bottles and when you do, be safe knowing this fact as you are primarily buying Nimbus branded beers!

Remember: When you see the monkey on the label, you’ll know, It’s a "Natural Selection"!!!

(still them. It was too long for one post)