Nitrogenated Coffees for beer retailers: Reverse Starbucks idea?

Reads 2046 • Replies 19 • Started Sunday, July 27, 2014 8:22:16 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:22 Sun 7/27/2014

Starbucks has been working on doubling up on the use of its retail spaces to create coffee in the morning, beer at night shops.

I’ve also recently heard that five gallon cold coffee brews dispensed through tap systems (often nitrogenated) offer coffee retailers a method of producing and selling a unique popular coffee that’s low energy, reduces production time costs, and reduces customer wait times.

I could see a few scenarios where grabbing the morning coffee crowd might work for a few beer retailers.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 20:22 Sun 7/27/2014

Thoughts?

Frank
beers 4561 º places 92 º 20:26 Sun 7/27/2014

4 Hands in St. Louis had nitro coffee on draft at the brewpub when we stopped through for RBSG. It was pretty good but I am not much of an iced coffee guy. I could see it being popular at bars where people could order it straight or mixed w/ booze.

In my (limited) experience, most of the people I know who drink good coffee also drink good beer, and vice versa.

Gralehaus in Louisville is another Tyler and Lori (creators of the Louisville Beer Store and Holy Grale) project eventually slated to be a B&B. They sell Argo Sons Coffee (a Louisville roaster) along with the more widely known Intelligenstia brands. They also hired one of the best baristos (I just can’t call a man a "barista") in our area for the gig. I can’t vouch for their financial success, but I was quite happy with my espresso drinks when I stopped by. With so many brewers doing a coffee-related beer, I think it’s a natural partnership.

RABinCO
beers 1511 º places 103 º 05:09 Mon 7/28/2014

My buddy is in charge of brewing the cold brew they serve on nitro @ the coffee shop/bar he manages. They have it on tap in line with all their beers, nice tap handle and all. Seems to be a hit.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 05:48 Mon 7/28/2014

There’s a really cool new spot in Scottsdale called "Sip". It’s a coffee/beer place. It’s doing quite well I believe.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 16:11 Mon 7/28/2014

Originally posted by daknole
There’s a really cool new spot in Scottsdale called "Sip". It’s a coffee/beer place. It’s doing quite well I believe.
nitro?

redlight
beers 2318 º places 50 º 16:17 Mon 7/28/2014

we sell cold brew on tap made by a local coffee roaster at redlight redlight in orlando. it sells pretty well. its really caffeinated though, they do an 18 hour brew. a lot of people add a shot to their left hand milk stout or old rasputin.

daknole
beers 11050 º places 464 º 04:54 Tue 7/29/2014

Originally posted by joet
Originally posted by daknole
nitro?

I’ll need to double check, I’m not 100% sure.

AcctError62185
places 1 º 06:42 Thu 7/31/2014

There is a place here that is coffee shop plus craft beer and wine. Its the concept we were going for with our place until we ran out of money. No nitro though

SamGamgee
beers 2452 º places 182 º 12:13 Thu 7/31/2014

Modern times also roasts and sells coffee. If I ever have a brewpub you can be sure that I’ll also do a good coffee program. I’ve had nitro-keg cold brew once at Verve in Santa Cruz and it was pretty cool. Definitely an easy way to keep coffee always ready to pour.