No pictures of Florida beers in the database

Reads 2404 • Replies 56 • Started Wednesday, February 13, 2013 10:57:53 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:18 Thu 2/14/2013

Also, is it really that tough to upload photos? I don’t remember how to do it, but I was able to upload this after a few cans of 10% malt liquor

http://res.cloudinary.com/ratebeer/image/upload/w_250,c_limit,q_80,d_beer_def.gif/beer_194734.jpg

jmagnus87
beers 2903 º places 92 º 10:23 Thu 2/14/2013

Is photos@ratebeer still usable? Last time i sent one there it never got uploaded.

puzzl
beers 3258 º places 138 º 10:27 Thu 2/14/2013

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by puzzl
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
ahh thats USER faults.

If there was a better interface for adding pictures, we’d see a whole lot more pictures. I’ve been touting a per-beer gallery feature for many years, where users can easily upload pictures of a specific beer and not have to have everything run through a slow, sometimes non-existent approval process. Each beer will now have multiple pictures associated with it in a new gallery that don’t have to have the stringent guidelines of current premier pics. We can have tap handles, pints, people drinking it at a festival, bottlecaps, artsy shots, etc.

If abuse is a concern, simply add in a report button for each picture that will put the photo in the admin queue for approval or deletion. Easy as that.

Couple this with an API for app developers to use so they can upload versions straight from their phone without having to jump through hoops like in the current verson—I’m talking on Android take photo -> universal share button -> Ratebeer -> search beer name -> pick beer -> done—and we’ll end up with tens or even hundreds of pictures per beer. It will be more interesting, it will be more interactive, it will be fun for users, and it will provide more data to the site. And it won’t be an admin nightmare, as JoeT is about to say, because admins don’t have to do anything but clear the reported queue, which is a trivial action and will likely be quite short.

See, this is an awesome idea because beer labels change over time. It would be nice to have the already supported Flickr gallery just scroll through pictures on the beer’s page if there is more than one. Not sure if this will make the site run slowly though.

Well if it’s Flickr it will be slow as hell but there is no reason it should be Flickr. If it’s built into RB and served from the CDN it’ll be fast. Adding a few images per beer and capping resolution at 800x600 or even 1024 shouldn’t be much of a storage concern. Even at 500kb per picture, 3 pictures for every beer in the database, we are only talking 300gb storage, and with AWS costing less than $0.10/gb at the highest pricing tier, we are talking a theoretical max of at most $50/year, likely far less than that.

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 10:29 Thu 2/14/2013

Originally posted by GT2
Originally posted by cgarvieuk
ahh thats USER faults.

If there was a better interface for adding pictures, we’d see a whole lot more pictures. I’ve been touting a per-beer gallery feature for many years, where users can easily upload pictures of a specific beer and not have to have everything run through a slow, sometimes non-existent approval process. Each beer will now have multiple pictures associated with it in a new gallery that don’t have to have the stringent guidelines of current premier pics. We can have tap handles, pints, people drinking it at a festival, bottlecaps, artsy shots, etc.

If abuse is a concern, simply add in a report button for each picture that will put the photo in the admin queue for approval or deletion. Easy as that.

Couple this with an API for app developers to use so they can upload versions straight from their phone without having to jump through hoops like in the current verson—I’m talking on Android take photo -> universal share button -> Ratebeer -> search beer name -> pick beer -> done—and we’ll end up with tens or even hundreds of pictures per beer. It will be more interesting, it will be more interactive, it will be fun for users, and it will provide more data to the site. And it won’t be an admin nightmare, as JoeT is about to say, because admins don’t have to do anything but clear the reported queue, which is a trivial action and will likely be quite short.

See, this is an awesome idea because beer labels change over time. It would be nice to have the already supported Flickr gallery just scroll through pictures on the beer’s page if there is more than one. Not sure if this will make the site run slowly though.

Well if it’s Flickr it will be slow as hell but there is no reason it should be Flickr. If it’s built into RB and served from the CDN it’ll be fast. Adding a few images per beer and capping resolution at 800x600 or even 1024 shouldn’t be much of a storage concern. Even at 500kb per picture, 3 pictures for every beer in the database, we are only talking 300gb storage, and with AWS costing less than $0.10/gb at the highest pricing tier, we are talking a theoretical max of at most $50/year, likely far less than that.

Serving costs are greater than storage. And yeah, we are already using Amazon for images.

Our costs are much higher than your estimate but yeah I would consider a gallery at some point or other.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 10:43 Thu 2/14/2013

Well I am uploading a huge backlog of pics right now so this better work. Hopefully they will crop, rotate images when they are being approved.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:44 Thu 2/14/2013

I have a mixed 6 pack of okoboji cans sitting next to me. Half of them aren’t even in the database, not many pics either. I should probably get on that.

garthicus
beers 3025 º places 65 º 10:52 Thu 2/14/2013

I’ve been emailing photos@ratebeer.com for years with no issues whatsoever, the lads always stick them up pretty quick.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 10:57 Thu 2/14/2013

I do like photos for bottles, but it does seem kind of silly to just have a generic photo of a growler for every beer from a brewery that isn’t bottled (particularly if a brewery doesn’t bottle anything). I know I’ve seen a number of Bruery beers that just have the Bruery growler photo, and more recently, I think every beer that was in the database for Sons of Liberty just had a photo of their growler.

DietPepsican
beers 1592 º places 63 º 10:59 Thu 2/14/2013

I like the growler photos, especially when the artwork is cool. If you can’t find a random label or keg label, a growler looks pretty good compared to nothing.

GT
beers 10001 º places 672 º 11:09 Thu 2/14/2013

Originally posted by randomgarbage
I like the growler photos, especially when the artwork is cool. If you can’t find a random label or keg label, a growler looks pretty good compared to nothing.

Agreed, anything is better than nothing.

Welp, I just used the upload "add pic" button to do 50+ backlogged. We’ll see if they appear.