RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Non-Malt Fermentables

read 497 times • 9 replies • posted 9/21/2012 8:12:46 PM

Thread Frozen

premium
pellegjr 395:16
This is like, my fourth thread on the subject. Oh well.

Here are a few ingredients Iím thinking about using soon:

Wild Rice: Iím thinking low abv/low IBU session rice beer due to the expense and desire for a subtle malt profile to let the wild rice shine, like 40% Am 2-row, 40% wild rice, 20% long grain rice, cereal mashed.

Beans: I figure those super long chain polysaccharide would contribute some crazy viscosity to a stout, porter, etc. Thinking about adding about 8 ozs to my "ecuatorial" foreign extra stout.

Gelatin: See above on viscosity

Carrots/beets/other root veg: Wondering how this would do with a sour. Seems like the bugs would love those long chain starches.
Private message Send the author a private message

DA 1
Iíve used beets before, definitely a little goes a long way, adds a deep red color, but if you like that dirt geosmin flavor, it will come through. I dry hopped them, not sure if that makes a difference.
9/21/2012 8:20:22 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Originally posted by DA
Iíve used beets before, definitely a little goes a long way, adds a deep red color, but if you like that dirt geosmin flavor, it will come through. I dry hopped them, not sure if that makes a difference.

Beet Saison mayhaps?
9/21/2012 8:21:47 PM

premium
Oh, also forgot milled Indian corn, will it provide any noticeable flavor contributions not garnered from straight maize?
9/21/2012 8:41:45 PM

foduck 328:8
wouldnít gelatin just flocculate and make your beer really clear?
9/22/2012 2:13:58 PM

premium
admin
Danko
Originally posted by foduck
wouldnít gelatin just flocculate and make your beer really clear?

Exactly. Itís not going to add to the viscosity but instead make it really clear.

Rice is an easy way to really clog up the lautering stage and get a stuck mash, it happened to myself and Struise during the first ArchaÔc Ale brew once. Also watch out for tannins.
9/23/2012 4:24:42 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by Danko
Rice is an easy way to really clog up the lautering stage and get a stuck mash, it happened to myself and Struise during the first ArchaÔc Ale brew once. Also watch out for tannins.

Never used wild rice, but I have used jasmine rice a couple of times and the beers turned out very well (saison and peppercorn tripel). Itís a fun ingredient and it smelled wonderful when I was cooking it, but it didnít impart a whole lot of anything to the finished product besides a lighter color and additional fermentables. Terribly disappointed that that great aroma didnít make it into the beer.

9/23/2012 6:53:20 AM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by pellegjr
Beans: I figure those super long chain polysaccharide would contribute some crazy viscosity to a stout, porter, etc. Thinking about adding about 8 ozs to my "ecuatorial" foreign extra stout.

Iíve used black beans before and the beer was a disaster. The protein in the beans made the beer both overcarbonated with MASSIVE head retention. Something in the beans also increased the hop utilization tremendously and the finished beer ended up with over the top bitterness. That being said, I used quite a few pounds of beans, so 8 oz (cooked or uncooked?) shouldnít be that much of a problem. I would think that a little less on the bittering side of things might not be a bad idea.
9/23/2012 6:59:04 AM

beerinmeear 1
Originally posted by HornyDevil

Iíve used black beans before and the beer was a disaster. The protein in the beans made the beer both overcarbonated with MASSIVE head retention. Something in the beans also increased the hop utilization tremendously and the finished beer ended up with over the top bitterness. That being said, I used quite a few pounds of beans, so 8 oz (cooked or uncooked?) shouldnít be that much of a problem. I would think that a little less on the bittering side of things might not be a bad idea.

did you boil the beans? That might have something to do with the bitterness, just like if you boiled grains (I donít see how the beans could increase hop utilization). Not sure how to utilize the beans though- itís not like malted barley with the sugar readily accessible for a sub-boil sparge extraction.
9/25/2012 2:08:51 PM

HornyDevil
Originally posted by beerinmeear
Originally posted by HornyDevil

did you boil the beans? That might have something to do with the bitterness, just like if you boiled grains (I donít see how the beans could increase hop utilization). Not sure how to utilize the beans though- itís not like malted barley with the sugar readily accessible for a sub-boil sparge extraction.

Nope,didnít boil them. Just cooked them and added them to the mash.
9/25/2012 2:16:05 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add