RateBeer

Non-Malt Mash Ingredients

read 1187 times • 20 replies •

Thread Frozen
 
pellegjr
beers 395 º places 16 º 12:10 Fri 8/17/2012

Other than hops, anyone ever throw non-malt ingredients into the mash?

no, but have contemplated pumpkin

 
HornyDevil
13:42 Fri 8/17/2012

Spices, fruit juice, flowers

 
DA
places 1 º 14:48 Fri 8/17/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
Spices, fruit juice, flowers

Why do you spice the mash instead of the end of the boil? Different flavor?

 
HornyDevil
15:21 Fri 8/17/2012

Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by HornyDevil
Spices, fruit juice, flowers

Why do you spice the mash instead of the end of the boil? Different flavor?


I think it lends to a more incorporated flavor and a less sharp flavor characteristic.

 
DA
places 1 º 16:19 Fri 8/17/2012

Originally posted by HornyDevil
I think it lends to a more incorporated flavor and a less sharp flavor characteristic.

Do you have to use a lot more of it? I guess I assumed the boil would drive off most of the spice, this is interesting.

 
bitbucket
beers 2160 º places 63 º 17:46 Fri 8/17/2012

Grits
Flaked Rice
Oatmeal
Rice hulls

 
AAvgerinos
01:58 Sun 8/19/2012

Originally posted by pellegjr
Other than hops, anyone ever throw non-malt ingredients into the mash?


Flaked maize, rye, oats, and coconut so far.

 
HornyDevil
05:35 Sun 8/19/2012

Originally posted by DA
Originally posted by HornyDevil
I think it lends to a more incorporated flavor and a less sharp flavor characteristic.

Do you have to use a lot more of it? I guess I assumed the boil would drive off most of the spice, this is interesting.


Yeah, you definitely have to use more than you would if you had added it to the boil. Surprisingly, though, the flavor and aroma are fantastic. Not that the boil and primary wonít diminish the character somewhat, but their effect on the finished product is vastly exaggerated.

 
ALLOVATE
premium
beers 2650 º places 99 º 06:14 Sun 8/19/2012

Originally posted by bitbucket
Grits
Flaked Rice
Oatmeal
Rice hulls

Pretty much this. Lots of hops for first wort hopping, the odd batch of coffee grains but otherwise a mash is a mash. The rest is added to the boil!

 
HornyDevil
06:56 Sun 8/19/2012

Originally posted by ALLOVATE
Originally posted by bitbucket
Grits
Flaked Rice
Oatmeal
Rice hulls

Pretty much this. Lots of hops for first wort hopping, the odd batch of coffee grains but otherwise a mash is a mash. The rest is added to the boil!


Oh yeah, almost forgot. Iíve added coffee and cocoa to the mash as well.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer