North Mississippi opens two new Breweries this week!

Reads 699 • Replies 8 • Started Tuesday, August 6, 2013 11:17:29 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 11:17 Tue 8/6/2013

What a long way we have come since I moved here about 7 years. Until this year there was only Lazy Magnolia brewing in Mississippi, a long drive from this half of the state.

It would seem unusual being that the 2 biggest universities are both in North Mississippi, but with ABW capped at 5% most brewers were unwilling to risk it, but a change came with the raising of the cap.

Last year saw Southern Prohibition in Hattiesburg, Lucky Town in Jackson, and Crooked Letter in Ocean Springs, but still nothing up here.

Saturday was the open house for Yalobusha Brewing Company in Water Valley, MS. Water Valley is a small town south west of Oxford, MS right on the edge of the beginning of the Delta. The building was incredible, built in the 1830’s, and has been a manufacturing facility for Ford, a place to make bullets during the Civil War, and is just really cool. The owners are very nice and have done a lot of research prior to opening, traveling and spending time at Three Floyds, Cigar City, Savor and more. They picked up a brewer from Portland and also got fortunate that one of the former brewers from Abita was living in Oxford 20 min. away and they had a chance meeting.

It will be a fairly large operation and will begin official production next month as the 2nd largest capacity in the state. Andy and partners seem like really great guys and I wish them best of luck and if their root beer they brewed for the open house is any indication, I’m excited to taste the first fruits of their labor.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 11:21 Tue 8/6/2013

Yesterday, the second brewery opened.

Oxford Brewing Company had their official launch yesterday with the release of their first two beers....Sorority Blonde Ale and MPA No. 8 (Mississippi Pale Ale). I think both will do well in Oxford at Ole Miss especially launching during football season. Tailgating at Ole Miss is pretty damn epic. Both beers were very clean, easy to like, if uncomplicated.

I had the opportunity to hang out and share a few brews with Mason and Haggard from Oxford Brewing last week, and I’m excited for them. Currently they are having their bottles contract brewed by Back Forty and I expect big things from them.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 13:59 Tue 8/6/2013

FYI the tentative time table I’m hearing for Oxford Brewing having their own place is Spring or Summer 2014

Suttree
beers 7122 º places 260 º 16:20 Tue 8/6/2013

Very cool. Hopefully i’ll see some their stuff at a festival soon...

batsnapper
beers 5 º places 1 º 11:30 Tue 8/13/2013

Natchez needs to be next.

jzzbassman
beers 1638 º places 30 º 22:21 Tue 8/13/2013

Anything planned in Natchez yet?

CKDexterHaven
18:04 Wed 9/4/2013

Do you know if either if these will be participating in the Cigar and Brewfest in Jackson, TN coming up in October? I look forward to trying them. Hopefully they'll be here in Corinth soon.

---Posted via Beer Buddy for iPhone

Cybercat
beers 12811 º places 403 º 14:43 Thu 1/30/2014

TWO breweries opening in Mississippi in one week? Now I will believe that there are unicorns.

Travlr
beers 33878 º places 4582 º 06:03 Fri 1/31/2014

I bought some Yalobusha beers at Corner Market in Hattiesburg last weekend, bringing them to a tasting here on Saturday. So they’re about a get a bunch of DC ratings!
It’s not possible to visit Yalobusha yet, though, is that right? Is a tasting room or anything planned?