RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Metros > Germany | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Nürnberg+Bamberg

read 829 times • 10 replies • posted 6/17/2012 4:32:12 AM

Thread Frozen

rauchbierlover 588:116
Hi there ratebeerians!

I saw there was a similar topic, but it’s frozen so I decided to start a new one with new enquiries.

I’ll be in Bayern for a week on the very first week of August (from 1st to 8th)and I’ll stay in München (two nights), Bamberg (3 nights)and Nürnberg (2 nights).

I got no doubt about where to drink in München, the same for Bamberg, I just got some doubt about Nürnberg.

1 - Is there any good brewpub? In the other topic some says Nürnberg is barely worth a stop at all...

2 - Is there any good pub/beershop in Hauptbahnhof? I mean, during the trip München-Bamberg I’ll have a one-hour stop over in Nürnberg. Instead of waiting for the train, I’d like drinking a beer. :)

3 - Is it worth a day-trip to Fürth or Erlangen? Not merely for drinking, I mean as a tourist.

Further questions are related to Bamberg.

1) How do I get to Gänstaller’s Drei Kronen by bus?
2) I’d like to visit St.Georgen Brau in Buttenheim. Once there, do you know if the Schloss is open for tourists?
3) I’d like to visit Rittmayer in Hallendorf ( http://www.ratebeer.com/p/brauerei-rittmayer-hallerndorf/5902). Do you know how to get there by public transports? Otherwise, do you know if it is possible to get their Smokey George ( http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rittmayer-smokey-george/71610/) somewhere in Bamberg (maybe by Abseits)? I can have their Land and Rauch by my personal beershop here in Rome, so I’d go there just for the Smokey George...

If you got any further suggestions on brewpubs in that area, feel free to recommend. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Prost an alle!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
bierkoning 9999:253
Originally posted by rauchbierlover
Hi there ratebeerians!

I saw there was a similar topic, but it’s frozen so I decided to start a new one with new enquiries.

I’ll be in Bayern for a week on the very first week of August (from 1st to 8th)and I’ll stay in München (two nights), Bamberg (3 nights)and Nürnberg (2 nights).

I got no doubt about where to drink in München, the same for Bamberg, I just got some doubt about Nürnberg.

1 - Is there any good brewpub? In the other topic some says Nürnberg is barely worth a stop at all...

That is up to you. Barfüsser is only a 10 minutes walk from the central station. Give it a try, I’d say

2 - Is there any good pub/beershop in Hauptbahnhof? I mean, during the trip München-Bamberg I’ll have a one-hour stop over in Nürnberg. Instead of waiting for the train, I’d like drinking a beer. :)

Landbierparadies is a 10 minutes walk from Hauptbahnhof

3 - Is it worth a day-trip to Fürth or Erlangen? Not merely for drinking, I mean as a tourist.

Take the bus to Schesslitz. From there to Gänstallers is 2 kilometres.

2) I’d like to visit St.Georgen Brau in Buttenheim. Once there, do you know if the Schloss is open for tourists? I don’t know, but visit Löwenbräu Buttenheim instead. It is just next door to St Georgen

3) I’d like to visit Rittmayer in Hallendorf ( http://www.ratebeer.com/p/brauerei-rittmayer-hallerndorf/5902). Do you know how to get there by public transports? Otherwise, do you know if it is possible to get their Smokey George
( http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rittmayer-smokey-george/71610/) somewhere in Bamberg (maybe by Abseits)? I can have their Land and Rauch by my personal beershop here in Rome, so I’d go there just for the Smokey George...

If you got any further suggestions on brewpubs in that area, feel free to recommend. Any recommendation is highly appreciated.

Prost an alle!

And the Bamberg beer guide site has all the answers about breweries, biergartens and public transport. Enjoy!
6/17/2012 5:32:17 AM

Private message send the author a private message

Thanks for your answers
6/17/2012 7:21:01 AM

Erlangernick 1:2

Sorry I missed this post!

Hi there ratebeerians!

Why München at all? 5 nights in Bamberg is time much better spent, getting around to all the many places in the country surrounding it.

Meh. Not sure I’d recommend staying overnight. Spend the time in Bamberg instead...see above.

Not any more, I’m afraid.

If you have interest in the Hugenots and their architecture of the 17th & 18th centuries, then Erlangen MIGHT be interesting. Otherwise, many other lovely little cities are worth wandering around in.

2) I’d like to visit St.Georgen Brau in Buttenheim. Once there, do you know if the Schloss is open for tourists?
3) I’d like to visit Rittmayer in Hallendorf ( http://www.ratebeer.com/p/brauerei-rittmayer-hallerndorf/5902). Do you know how to get there by public transports? Otherwise, do you know if it is possible to get their Smokey George ( http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/rittmayer-smokey-george/71610/) somewhere in Bamberg (maybe by Abseits)? I can have their Land and Rauch by my personal beershop here in Rome, so I’d go there just for the Smokey George...
The bus to Schesslitz is the one that stops at Gänstaller’s Drei Kronen, but note the restricted opening hours. Never been there myself.

Don’t think Schloss Buttenheim is ever open, it’s in private ownership.

Bus 265 runs from Forchheim to Hallerndorf. There’s the brewery in the village and then the gigantic bottling facility outside the village. What you really want to do is head to the Kreuzberg though, with its 3 Bierkeller(s) -- two for the two Hallerndorfer breweries and the third a 3 YO brewpub operation. And at the base of the Kreuzberg hill, less than a 1 km stroll, is Roppelt’s Bierkeller.

Prost an alle!

There are many, many places to explore. See franconiabeerguide.com’s discussion board for assloads of info and discussion.

That’s all I have time to write at the moment, have to get out on a Bierkellerbiketour now.
6/24/2012 3:39:33 AM

premium
Bierkrug 2131:311
If you at just staying in the old city of Nürnberg you can hit the Landbier Paradeis, Altstadthof and Hutt’n.
7/2/2012 11:48:58 PM

Thanks for all your kind replies!

I got two more question. I think I will surely go and visit Forchheim, do you know if the Annafest beers will be still available the first week of August?

Along with Klosterbrau Schwärzla and Neder Schwarze Anna which other schwarzbieren worth a try in the area?
7/26/2012 1:52:32 AM

Thanks for all your kind replies!

I got two more question. I think I will surely go and visit Forchheim, do you know if the Annafest beers will be still available the first week of August?

Along with Klosterbrau Schwärzla and Neder Schwarze Anna which other schwarzbieren worth a try in the area?

Some of the Keller(s) up in the Kellerwald might still have Annafestbier on tap, you have to ask. There will probably be bottles still available at shops and the breweries.

I can’t think of Schwarzbier other than Mönchshofer, but I also can’t think of where to find that on draught. Oh yeah, Bärenschanze in Nürnberg...Schwarzbier there is supposedly quite good.
7/26/2012 4:44:31 AM

7/26/2012 5:03:49 AM

Do you mean this one? http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/schanzenbrau-schwarz/108301/

Jawohl! Come to think of it, Schanzenbräu is worth a stop IF you’re in Nürnberg. Would I say it’s worth a trip to Nürnberg on its own? Not sure.
7/26/2012 10:51:55 PM

You seem to love Nürnberg less than a Manchester City fan loves Man utd. :)
7/27/2012 8:26:54 AM

You seem to love Nürnberg less than a Manchester City fan loves Man utd. :)

Meh. There just really is very, very little beer there for such a big city in such a beery part of the world!
7/29/2012 4:43:47 AM

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add
Advanced Search