RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

NYC Bicycle Beer Tour

read 1317 times • 14 replies • posted 5/22/2012 5:54:21 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

danfromgan
I am thinking about starting a business in New York City where my business partner and I take a group of 6-8 people on a tour via bicycles of famous breweries and pubs throughout the city and show the different food that can be paired with them...along with the history of the city we are riding through.
We would charge a fixed rate that would include tours at the breweries, drink at each place along with light appetizers that pair with the different beers.
The route(s) would be roughly 6-7 miles long and last somewhere around 5 hours...something very doable on a bicycle on the flats of NYC.
I wanted to post on this forum to see what people thought and if you think people may be interested in something like this?
Private message Send the author a private message

TheWhiteWolf 3:
You can get a DUI on a bicycle in NYC right? I love the idea though.
5/22/2012 6:00:52 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
weihenweizen 1635:150
I like the idea. Why not drive your 6-8 people around in a van. It would likely be faster, no chance for DUI, and not everybody is going to want to ride a bike.
5/22/2012 6:07:59 PM

danfromgan
thanks for the feedback, and it varies by state certainly...We would ideally have 1 beer/ flight at each stop so nothing crazy by any means. Our experience would be geared less towards a "bar crawl" and more towards the brewery tours, explaining the different brewing processes, what foods to pair while providing an informational tour of NYC.
5/22/2012 6:11:22 PM

danfromgan
Thatís a great point also not everyone wants to ride a bike...but I figured with the amount of tourist/ residents in nyc and how easy it is to get from place to place in nyc it would be fairly easy to get a couple tours filled on the weekend.
I would have to look into the legality of biking for sure.
I know there is a guided bus tour in NYC already but by no means does that mean you canít make it better, take a different route, make it cheaper, etc...thanks for the feedback
5/22/2012 6:16:07 PM

premium
blipp 5967:117
We got subways yo
5/22/2012 6:28:05 PM

premium
blipp 5967:117
And biking in the city is no picnic. Especially for tourists used to riding in the burbs.
5/22/2012 6:29:39 PM

premium
Ernesto987 3611:104
dude, i like it. Of course I race bikes and drink like a fish.
5/22/2012 6:29:59 PM

premium
RamyG4 320:3
To be honest I think itís a very bad idea to have buzzed to drunk tourists riding bicycles through the streets and sidewalks of NYC.
5/22/2012 6:52:48 PM

danfromgan
Agreed. Getting drunk or even buzzed for that matter is not the goal of the trip by any means. My business partner and I have lived in nyc our whole lives and know the history of the city and also happen to be brewing fanatics.
It would be geared towards visitors of NYC who are looking to learn and see sights of NYC in a different way...along with seeing how some NYC breweries operate and how local pubs pair their extraordinary beer menus with particular foods.
It certainly needs to be looked at further...just trying to lay some groundwork...but thank you for the feedback
5/22/2012 7:04:25 PM

premium
RamyG4 320:3
Oh I have no doubt that itís not the goal of your trip, but alcohol and maybe even food for that matter donít seem to mix with a bike tour. I would look into a mode of transportation that isnít operated by the tourists.

A walking tour might be a good idea though, depending on the distances.
5/22/2012 7:22:23 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Talk

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers