RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
New Here | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

NYT on family friendly bars

read 1988 times • 27 replies • posted 8/12/2012 4:57:36 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
drfabulous 4169:80
Originally posted by Cletus

Not when the kids are running around the beer garden like it sounds like theyíre doing at the place quoted in the article. Adults with beers are not looking out for 2 foot tall kids with no sense of space and no supervision when making their way to the table. I totally get the whole idea of bringing your kids to a place to have some beer as long as they are supervised and not allowed to "frollic" about in the eating area as one of the parents is quoted as saying.

Donít know about that. Thatís not our experience. Since we take our kids out with us and show them this experience, they gain maturity even at their young ages of 5 and 2. They sit with us and eat with us and color activity books or something else at the table. I canít speak for other people and their kids just as I canít speak for the a-hole in the bar getting drunk and making a scene either when Iím out with friends and not my kids. That obnoxious drunk seems far worse to me than a couple of kids.
8/12/2012 11:25:21 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
legion242 2266:116
Originally posted by drfabulous

Not when the kids are running around the beer garden like it sounds like theyíre doing at the place quoted in the article. Adults with beers are not looking out for 2 foot tall kids with no sense of space and no supervision when making their way to the table. I totally get the whole idea of bringing your kids to a place to have some beer as long as they are supervised and not allowed to "frollic" about in the eating area as one of the parents is quoted as saying.

Donít know about that. Thatís not our experience. Since we take our kids out with us and show them this experience, they gain maturity even at their young ages of 5 and 2. They sit with us and eat with us and color activity books or something else at the table. I canít speak for other people and their kids just as I canít speak for the a-hole in the bar getting drunk and making a scene either when Iím out with friends and not my kids. That obnoxious drunk seems far worse to me than a couple of kids.

This. My 8 year old has been going to my local with me since nearly birth and simply sits and reads or colors, etc.
8/12/2012 12:05:33 PM

premium
Christian 11274:237
What I like to see is a restaurant area that is kid friendly and a bar area that is adults only.

This sounds like the right way to do it. Parents will probably want to take their kids to a place that isnít too bar-like, and bar patrons donít want kids there...
8/12/2012 12:07:39 PM

premium
HogTownHarry 6129:28
Unless itís mid-afternoon, I donít want to see kids anywhere I go to enjoy good beer. I donít complain, I just never go back. I think itís awesome there are many of you who actually care that your small ones might be holy terrors, but it only takes one head-up-their-arse parent to turn a pleasant pub/bar experience into a screaming chaotic hell. And there is ALWAYS one.

I donít go back to places where I see the little ecological disasters (children are the least "green" thing on this planet) after around 7pm.
8/12/2012 1:39:35 PM

premium
jtclockwork 8896:182
Originally posted by legion242

This. My 8 year old has been going to my local with me since nearly birth and simply sits and reads or colors, etc.
Unfortunately, not all parents are as good. If Iím at a bar, Iíd rather not there be kids running around. Just my personal preference. Ultimately, itís up to what the establishment wants to do and Iím fine with that.
8/12/2012 1:46:42 PM

premium
Cletus 6354:233
Originally posted by legion242

That is normal and acceptable public behavior. So is letting them go and have fun in a play zone if there is one. The last time I went to BAR (a local eatery/brewpub), there were dozens of parents there with their kids. All but one of them were doing what you described. The one that wasnít was climbing under everyoneís bar stools and running around the place like a lunatic. There were lots of complaints and the parents of that kid laughed it off.
8/13/2012 1:42:53 PM

502Che 999:47
I like to avoid family friendly places. It just adds a whole different vibe, which i dont seek out and actually try to avoid. Maybe one day when i geezer up and my wife pops out a few little monsters i will change my mind and meet you all for a michelob at TGI Fridays.
8/13/2012 2:18:35 PM

premium
malrubius 1849:29
My eight-year-old has been to beer bars everywhere from Brooklyn to California to Belgium and Amsterdam, Munich and Bamberg. She never causes a problem (except a minor accident/injury at Kulminator once), and I always tip extra because I brought a kid, who might make a little mess or something. She always has a Shirley Temple or a Ginger Ale. Her current favorites are Fourth Avenue Pub (free popcorn), Pacific Standard (darts), and Mission Dolores (across from Oaxaca Tacos). She is quite used to hearing the F-bomb and we donít take her anywhere where/when there are offensive drunks. I like seeing other parents bring their kids, and sometimes they get together and have fun (although they may have had too much fun for the managers at Flying Saucer in Raleigh).
8/14/2012 6:42:53 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Different places for different people. But for those of us who want a place to go in the afternoon or early dinner hour (5pm), donít want to leave our kids behind, donít want to tack on another $50 to the day for a sitter, and want to have a beer, itís nice to have the options as well. We also buy a lot of food, and margins on food are higher than on beer.

Thatís the first Iíve head that margins are higher on food than beer... There is a reason a lot of places arenít brewpubs, which is that margins on food arenít higher at most places...
8/14/2012 7:00:02 AM

hopson 635:11
This thread interested me as I love my kids and my beer. The big theme running through most of these posts has little to do with the kids- Itís the inappropriate/ridiculous behavior of the parents letting their kids run wild at bars and breweries. I take my kids to family friendly restaurants that serve excellent beer- thatís about as far as I take it- these restaurants serve kid food and are casual environments because thatís where weíre most comfortable. If you are a parent and want to go to a fancier joint, you better have children that are extremely well behaved- otherwise, itís an unwanted distraction for everyone.
8/14/2012 7:09:39 AM

Home > Forums > New Here

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers