RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
New Here | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

NYT on family friendly bars

read 1940 times • 27 replies • posted 8/12/2012 4:57:36 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
Tibeerious 1
My kids have eaten at four star restaurants since about age 5. When they were younger they ate appetizers in lesser places because sometimes people think "kid friendly" means to be condesending towards kids and give the fries and chicken fingers.

There is no reason in the world that a kid over about 4 canít behave appropriately in public, and by appropriate I mean be less annoying than a loud person who has consumed too much beer.

In Ohio state laws permit parents(or spouses) to buy alcohol for their kids who are under drinking age. Most bars, however, have their own policies and do not allow it. To me being kid unfriendly is being a sports bar that wonít let me buy a decent beer to share with my 18 year old son while we watch UFC fights.

I do not know how people expect children to grow up and behave as adults in public if they donít get some practice when they are younger. Maybe that is why the late teen early twenties crowd is so annoying in bars?
8/14/2012 7:15:58 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
kerenmk 2162:47
Originally posted by Tibeerious
I do not know how people expect children to grow up and behave as adults in public if they donít get some practice when they are younger. Maybe that is why the late teen early twenties crowd is so annoying in bars?

Agree, however, in the pedocentric society I live in, too many parents just let their kids go wild in public places. Parents are tired and perhaps immune to their kids volume and behaviour. Whereas even as a childfree person I sometimes find it heartwarming to see families drink and dine together, when I go out at night I prefer my pub to be an adult-oriented place. Leave your kids at home and mind their circadian circle, too, please.
8/14/2012 7:44:57 AM

premium
Tibeerious 1
Originally posted by kerenmk
Originally posted by Tibeerious

Agree, however, in the pedocentric society I live in, too many parents just let their kids go wild in public places. Parents are tired and perhaps immune to their kids volume and behaviour. Whereas even as a childfree person I sometimes find it heartwarming to see families drink and dine together, when I go out at night I prefer my pub to be an adult-oriented place. Leave your kids at home and mind their circadian circle, too, please.

Agreed, tired cranky kids are pretty annoying, and a lot of parents these days seem to accept levels of "annoying" that my parents grandparents or myself would never tolerate.

I also donít get parents that neglect to provide entertainment. Hell, Amy Carter read a book at a state dinner once, and I thought it demonstrated good judgement by her mom rather than an insult to the other diplomats
8/14/2012 8:03:33 AM

premium
jercraigs 7456:270
Originally posted by hopson
The big theme running through most of these posts has little to do with the kids- Itís the inappropriate/ridiculous behavior of the parents letting their kids run wild at bars and breweries.

Pretty much. The issue is that many parents have very different thresholds for what is acceptable public behavior then the people around them do.

Places that allow kids should also hand out temporary tattoos that read "My parents are not very responsible" to the rest of the patrons, to be applied to the foreheads of wayward children ;P
8/14/2012 11:32:16 AM

premium
Tibeerious 1
Originally posted by jerc
Originally posted by hopson
The big theme running through most of these posts has little to do with the kids- Itís the inappropriate/ridiculous behavior of the parents letting their kids run wild at bars and breweries.

Pretty much. The issue is that many parents have very different thresholds for what is acceptable public behavior then the people around them do.

Places that allow kids should also hand out temporary tattoos that read "My parents are not very responsible" to the rest of the patrons, to be applied to the foreheads of wayward children ;P

That would be brilliant, like the opposite version of a gold star for good behavior.
8/14/2012 11:45:26 AM

dankman 253:20
My kids (now 13 and 15) have gone to almost every brewpub in our area with no complaints at all from other patrons; I also think that leaving the pub before 9:00 pm and telling them how much of an asshole Iíll turn into if they misbehave has an effect.
8/14/2012 4:14:35 PM

premium
cbfobes 2269:26
Personally, most of the establishments around the Madison area knew my wife and I before we had our son. After he was born they wanted us to bring him in. Almost all the Breweries in the area know him by name and are always happy to see us when we stop by.
8/15/2012 8:47:50 AM

Home > Forums > New Here

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers