RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Site News | Beer Talk | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Official Policy on Sour Stouts

read 2123 times • 42 replies • posted 7/3/2013 7:11:08 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

premium
Drake 7950:453
Itís also important to differentiate that admins make decisions with vastly different information at times. Sometimes I verify a beer based on a very limited amount of information. Sometimes Iím drinking it.

Usually when itís not a controversial case and it makes sense, when someone sends in feedback Iíll just change it.
7/3/2013 8:00:49 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
puzzl 3240:138
Originally posted by TheAlum
JP Brewers want their beer under their base.

Hasnít the protocol always been that itís not what brewers want, itís whatís right? I have all the respect in the world for Ron and his fantastic creations, but that beer is not a stout. It is a sour, by our measure; a sour stout, if you will, but we donít list that, and under no definition of stout will you find the characteristics of that beer.

We have done it to other brewers in the past, why do we make exceptions for only certain ones? God knows how many brewpub kolsches are rightly listed as pale lagers or golden ales, or how many IPAs are listed as wheat ales, or porters as black IPAs, or IPAs as pale ales. We have, and have always made the call on what a beer actually is, not what the brewer wants to call it. We shouldnít make exceptions.
7/3/2013 8:04:52 PM

premium
TheAlum 5205:10
Originally posted by puzzl

Hasnít the protocol always been that itís not what brewers want, itís whatís right? I have all the respect in the world for Ron and his fantastic creations, but that beer is not a stout. It is a sour, by our measure; a sour stout, if you will, but we donít list that, and under no definition of stout will you find the characteristics of that beer.

We have done it to other brewers in the past, why do we make exceptions for only certain ones? God knows how many brewpub kolsches are rightly listed as pale lagers or golden ales, or how many IPAs are listed as wheat ales, or porters as black IPAs, or IPAs as pale ales. We have, and have always made the call on what a beer actually is, not what the brewer wants to call it. We shouldnít make exceptions.

No. I donít think thatís the case.

If it was, Hill Farmstead certainly would not dominate so blatantly a couple select categories they currently do..
7/3/2013 8:09:01 PM

premium
puzzl 3240:138
Originally posted by puzzl

No. I donít think thatís the case.

If it was, Hill Farmstead certainly would not dominate so blatantly a couple select categories they currently do..

Yes, Hill gets away with it too. Doesnít mean itís right, though.
7/3/2013 9:14:18 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8216:502
Originally posted by GT2
Mostly JP Madrugada Obscura. Havenít had the new Anchorage Darkest Hour but that could be one as well.

Thatís not changing (And my own feelings have moved closer to yours over the years.. but ultimately.. not my call one way or the other).

Not always - they want them under the base beer, but they donít always land there. ESBam is a good example - sourness just has no place in a bitter, regardless of where you have it - hence itís in the sour ale category.
7/4/2013 2:58:17 AM

premium
caesar 4721:260
Interpretation of styles can be a thin line. I donít agree on a lot of the style-policies on this site actually :P

But thereís nothing wrong with corresponding with the brewer. If you agree on the interpretation on the beer, itís easy. If not, Iíd say Ratebeer should choose the category and inform the brewer why you do so. You can even add it to the beer description. Iíd love to see as much info as possible :-)

I agree with GT2 that a sour stout most of the times should fall in the sour category. Sours can be all colors, so it would be strange to put a sour stout in the stout category, but a sour golden ale in the sour instead of the golden ale category.

Also, smoked (imperial) stouts should be in the smoked category IMHO, next to the smoked lagers, smoked weizen etc.
7/4/2013 3:05:24 AM

premium
77ships 3313:104
Two examples - maybe not stouts but still

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/de-molen-rook-leer-smoke-leather/175860/ -> more sourness than some sours

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/gulden-spoor-druivenbier/211078/125231/ -> pretty much every review mentions this being sour or tasting like a lambic & this was intentional
7/4/2013 3:09:35 AM

premium
drowland 5961:172
Many to consider under CIB as well
7/4/2013 4:46:35 AM

premium
chriso 7344:356
Originally posted by caesar
Interpretation of styles can be a thin line.

Sure can. And, even if if were possible to achieve 100% consistentcy, with huge numbers of beers in the database it would be immensely time consuming. Time that is in short enough supply already. Lifeís too short for that. And for arguing the toss with brewers. And for having extended discussions about every borderline case.
7/4/2013 5:00:07 AM

premium
ReggieDunlap 2931:140
New style: Stour ale
7/4/2013 5:02:33 AM

Home > Forums > Site News

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.