Order the Scandinavian countries by beer and beer place quality

Reads 6851 • Replies 48 • Started Friday, August 5, 2011 1:07:41 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

joet
admin
beers 2900 º places 125 º 01:07 Fri 8/5/2011

How would you order them? We’re talking about the quality of beers, brewers and bars, bottle shops, beer culture, etc.

FrumptyDumpty
01:08 Fri 8/5/2011

Well if you take all those parameters into account then I would say Denmark. We have ølbutikken a host of great bars and some great breweries.

omhper
beers 40166 º places 332 º 01:51 Fri 8/5/2011

Pretty much depends on how you see it.
In terms of beer shops and number of breweries, Denmark by a mile.
In terms of bars I’d rank Sweden and maybe Finland higher than Denmark.
In terms of quality of average beer produced by a microbrewery I’d say Sweden ahead of Norway and Finland.
In terms of ease of access to many beer places in one trip Denmark wins again by miles, as distances in Denmark are small.
In terms of uniqueness I’d go with Finland and their sahti culture ahead of Norway.

FrumptyDumpty
01:55 Fri 8/5/2011

Originally posted by omhper
In terms of quality of average beer produced by a microbrewery I’d say Sweden ahead of Norway and Finland.
In terms of ease of access to many beer places in one trip Denmark wins again by miles, as distances in Denmark are small.
In terms of uniqueness I’d go with Finland and their sahti culture ahead of Norway.

Why would you rank sweden and finland higher then Denmark for bars? Simply because of the 1 off lambics that each country has at 1 bar?

Rasmus40
beers 34324 º places 722 º 02:34 Fri 8/5/2011

Originally posted by FrumptyDumpty
Originally posted by omhper

Why would you rank sweden and finland higher then Denmark for bars? Simply because of the 1 off lambics that each country has at 1 bar?

I agree with Per as far as the bars are concerned. I spent a week in Sweden this summer visiting five different bars ranging from excellent to world class, and that was just in Gothenburg and Stockholm. According to the Places section I missed several others in those two cities that were equally good, but there was just not enough time.

In Denmark most of the good bars are concentrated in Copenhagen, and beyond those six or seven, there are just another five or so in the rest of the country that deserves recognition.

My theory on this is that in Sweden you have to go to bars to get exciting beer (Systembolaget has some, but that wouldn’t last me a month if I lived there), whereas in Denmark we have a lot of great beer shops. This makes the market smaller for the bars. Then again that’s just my theory.

FrumptyDumpty
02:59 Fri 8/5/2011

I have yet to visit sweden but that theory makes sense. What are the breweries that make sweden win out?

Rasmus40
beers 34324 º places 722 º 03:17 Fri 8/5/2011

I have yet to visit sweden but that theory makes sense. What are the breweries that make sweden win out?

Sweden doesn’t win in terms of breweries. It wins in terms of bars. The best Swedish breweries I had beer from were

Närke
Dugges
Jämtland
Nynäshamn
Oppigård

It was just 20 beers from these five breweries in total, but they had a consistent high level. I’m not a big fan of lagers, but I was impressed with the lagers from the above mentioned breweries. Very few Danish micros make interesting lagers.

FrumptyDumpty
03:26 Fri 8/5/2011

Sorry was referring to ompher saying sweden made better beer on average which I do not believe.

konstifik
beers 573 º places 37 º 03:33 Fri 8/5/2011

Sorry was referring to ompher saying sweden made better beer on average which I do not believe.

I would problably also say that Sweden wins on that point, though the top Danish breweries are better than the top Swedish breweries.

Rasmus40
beers 34324 º places 722 º 03:52 Fri 8/5/2011

Originally posted by konstifik

I would problably also say that Sweden wins on that point, though the top Danish breweries are better than the top Swedish breweries.

I haven’t tried enough smaller Swedish breweries to know their general level, but I have tried plenty of Danish micros to know that I wouldn’t shed a tear if a third of them closed tomorrow. I just has to be the right third.

Although the level is said to have improved at the latest Copenhagen Beer Festival, it’s only a month ago that I had eight different beers from two small Danish micros, and there was something wrong with each and every bottle. The sell this stuff for 50 DKK for 50 cl at a respectable bar, and it is really poorly crafted. I fail to understand why these two breweries are still in business, but I suppose it must be something along the lines of local patriotism.

In addition to poorly crafted beers, there is also a ton of bland Dansih micro brews available. I only had a few bland Swedish micros, but then agian I have only tried 43 different Swedish beers in total.

If Sweden has fewer of the lousy or bland beers, then they might very well win on average, but that doesn’t mean that their top level is higher than the Danish.

FrumptyDumpty
04:05 Fri 8/5/2011

Yeah there are a handful of really bad brewers in Denmark. I have also had some bad beer from sweden as well but have not tried enough beer from there to comment on the average quality. I simply say Denmark is a better place for beer due to the level of beer put out by the good breweries over other Scandinavian countries.