RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Oregon beer tax hike.

read 2787 times • 21 replies • posted 2/15/2009 2:28:15 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
Reid 1860:45
It is huge.
http://www.leg.state.or.us/09reg/measpdf/hb2400.dir/hb2461.intro.pdf

This is a terrible Bill for the Oregon beer industry.
1800% increase per barrel.
But as usual wine and hard liquor are absolved from this.
The tax will go towards alcohol and drug treatment.
So why wasnt it applied to wine?
Yeah because the elitists in Salem love wine and look down on beer.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
GodOfThunder 1247:34
It is seriously time for another revolution in this country.
2/16/2009 3:10:10 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
presario 4596:141
Good news for Washington and California. Bad news for residents and beer tourists.

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/us/2009/02/14/or.1900.beer.tax.kgw
2/16/2009 3:29:48 PM

spikester 603:11
I signed the beer petition against the tax hike.
2/19/2009 11:59:51 PM

premium
IrishBoy 3805:105
But of course no alcoholics or kids abuse wine or hard liquor; only beer!
2/20/2009 12:32:57 AM

JPDIPSO 4956:27
Not sure what the tax are on other alcohols is, but this does seems like the "change" that is going on all over this country. I need some tea!
2/20/2009 12:43:28 AM

premium
TimE 3109:241
Not that in anyway I support the bill whatsoever, as I never believe in tax increases on beer (or tax increases in general). However, $49/31 gallons, hardly seems severe (about $0.47 cent/liter). It’s amazing that that is a 1800% increase in tax. It seems tax must be fairly cheap on beer.

That said, I also question the logic why beer is discriminated against and hard liquor and wine get off. That is total BS.

America still seems to have relatively low sin taxes in general compared to other developed nation.

Tim
2/20/2009 8:51:01 AM

premium
cheap 3975:158
Just like Pennsylvania and the US in general. The enlightened know what’s best for us and the government is now out of our control.

We got a 10% tax on beer to pay for the retirement of port authority bus drivers. You’d think the people who ride the bus should shoulder this.
2/20/2009 8:54:03 AM

premium
admin
Oakes 12234:640
Originally posted by TimE
Not that in anyway I support the bill whatsoever, as I never believe in tax increases on beer (or tax increases in general). However, $49/31 gallons, hardly seems severe (about $0.47 cent/liter). Itís amazing that that is a 1800% increase in tax. It seems tax must be fairly cheap on beer.

That said, I also question the logic why beer is discriminated against and hard liquor and wine get off. That is total BS.

America still seems to have relatively low sin taxes in general compared to other developed nation.

Tim

As an increase, that is huge, both in percentage terms and in real dollar terms. The price of a pint is estimated to go up from $4.50 to $6. That’s unbelievably bad for business. There’s going to be a lot of breweries shutting down in Oregon as they lose their ability to compete with out-of-state producers.

On an economic level, it doesn’t even take into account the full chain reaction. It’s an incredibly stupid move that has not been thought through in the slightest. The reduction in production will offset some of the tax increase right off the bat. This is a state that used to have strong production increases, adding more to the state’s coffers. Not any more. Then there’s the job loss - taxes on profits, sales, income, whatever they tax down there.

And for what? Don’t give me some crap about addiction programs. Every other jurisdiction funds those from general revenues, and I’m sure Oregon does too. The fact that they hit beer and not wine is another clear signal of intent. Wine lobbies are stronger and often better-connected. Neoprohibitionists go after beer because it’s not as well-organized, and in a state without a macro doesn’t have deep pockets either. If this bill isn’t their work, why are the people behind the bill using their tactics?

This tax hike is going to crush one of the state’s most robust industries to the benefit of nobody, except maybe the egos of some Prohibitionist whackos.
2/20/2009 9:47:05 AM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8314:502
Originally posted by Oakes
Not that in anyway I support the bill whatsoever, as I never believe in tax increases on beer (or tax increases in general). However, $49/31 gallons, hardly seems severe (about $0.47 cent/liter). Itís amazing that that is a 1800% increase in tax. It seems tax must be fairly cheap on beer.

Tim

As an increase, that is huge, both in percentage terms and in real dollar terms. The price of a pint is estimated to go up from $4.50 to $6. Thatís unbelievably bad for business. Thereís going to be a lot of breweries shutting down in Oregon as they lose their ability to compete with out-of-state producers.

On an economic level, it doesnít even take into account the full chain reaction. Itís an incredibly stupid move that has not been thought through in the slightest. The reduction in production will offset some of the tax increase right off the bat. This is a state that used to have strong production increases, adding more to the stateís coffers. Not any more. Then thereís the job loss - taxes on profits, sales, income, whatever they tax down there.

And for what? Donít give me some crap about addiction programs. Every other jurisdiction funds those from general revenues, and Iím sure Oregon does too. The fact that they hit beer and not wine is another clear signal of intent. Wine lobbies are stronger and often better-connected. Neoprohibitionists go after beer because itís not as well-organized, and in a state without a macro doesnít have deep pockets either. If this bill isnít their work, why are the people behind the bill using their tactics?

This tax hike is going to crush one of the stateís most robust industries to the benefit of nobody, except maybe the egos of some Prohibitionist whackos.

It’s not really the increase per se... it really is the size. The intent seems to be simply to punish a robust industry without any consideration for the consequences. I could see a large increase in the tax being justified and even warranted, but this just smacks of political opportunism in the worst possible way.
2/20/2009 10:04:44 AM

premium
TimE 3109:241
Originally posted by Oakes

Tim

As an increase, that is huge, both in percentage terms and in real dollar terms. The price of a pint is estimated to go up from $4.50 to $6. Thatís unbelievably bad for business. Thereís going to be a lot of breweries shutting down in Oregon as they lose their ability to compete with out-of-state producers.

On an economic level, it doesnít even take into account the full chain reaction. Itís an incredibly stupid move that has not been thought through in the slightest. The reduction in production will offset some of the tax increase right off the bat. This is a state that used to have strong production increases, adding more to the stateís coffers. Not any more. Then thereís the job loss - taxes on profits, sales, income, whatever they tax down there.

And for what? Donít give me some crap about addiction programs. Every other jurisdiction funds those from general revenues, and Iím sure Oregon does too. The fact that they hit beer and not wine is another clear signal of intent. Wine lobbies are stronger and often better-connected. Neoprohibitionists go after beer because itís not as well-organized, and in a state without a macro doesnít have deep pockets either. If this bill isnít their work, why are the people behind the bill using their tactics?

This tax hike is going to crush one of the stateís most robust industries to the benefit of nobody, except maybe the egos of some Prohibitionist whackos.

I am curious, who came up with the $4.5 to $6 increase in the price of a pint? It would only increase taxes on a pint by about a 25 cents.

How would the tax then compare to other states and what are pint prices in those states?

Couldn’t agree more that it has to be some wine/hard liquor lobbyist behind this. It is amazing at how they are trying to sell this bill as it doesn’t even seem remotely logical. I would say beer drinkers let Ben Cannon know they agree that a 1900% increase on all alcoholic beverages is necessary to get rid of alcohol addiction. See Ben try to wiggle out of that. I would be a great idea to get someone else to propose this if Ben’s bill fails. Then see if Ben supports the bill and show what a hypocrite he really is.

Just to be clear, this bill would impact micros right? (I just can’t see everyone here getting upset if it only impacted macros). The reason I ask is because Ben’s website (last updated in Sept) said he wanted to exempt micros http://www.repbencannon.com/2009_priorities

Tim

Tim
2/21/2009 7:07:17 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ