PA votes to update liquor/beer laws

Reads 469 • Replies 7 • Started Tuesday, June 7, 2016 1:00:54 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 13:00 Tue 6/7/2016

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 15:07 Tue 6/7/2016

small step.

sloth
beers 3473 º places 102 º 17:01 Tue 6/7/2016

Last grocery store i was in in PA. was serving wine, along with beer in their bar. Cant remember if they were selling bottles of wine or not. But apparently its okay to serve in a grocery store huh? Damn PA has some strange laws. Hope they ditch that damn dumb case law!

Travlr
beers 33878 º places 4582 º 17:32 Tue 6/7/2016

do you have to buy it by the case?

SpringsLicker
beers 4002 º places 158 º 19:07 Tue 6/7/2016

Originally posted by Travlr

It used to be that you either had to purchase a case at a State store or you could purchase up to 2 6 packs at a Tavern that had a cooler. Quite a few breweries distributed mixed cases to PA that couldn’t be found elsewhere for that reason.

boto
beers 2444 º places 104 º 19:53 Tue 6/7/2016

Originally posted by sloth
Last grocery store i was in in PA. was serving wine, along with beer in their bar. Cant remember if they were selling bottles of wine or not. But apparently its okay to serve in a grocery store huh? Damn PA has some strange laws. Hope they ditch that damn dumb case law!

These are actually satellite locations of the State Liquor stores. The PLCB hasn’t relinquished selling liquor and wine yet.

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 23:09 Wed 6/8/2016

Originally posted by SpringsLicker
Originally posted by Travlr

It used to be that you either had to purchase a case at a State store or you could purchase up to 2 6 packs at a Tavern that had a cooler. Quite a few breweries distributed mixed cases to PA that couldn’t be found elsewhere for that reason.

Currently this is a bit off.

Used to be cases were at a distributor and no more than 192oz purchased at a "bar".

Recently they passed a law to allow 12 packs at distributors. So...

12+ at distributors
12- ish at bars

Grocery stores could get around the "bar" thing by having separate food and beer sales. We can’t buy beer and groceries at the same register yet.

Liquor and wine needed to be purchased from a state store.

Bolagshataren
02:40 Thu 6/9/2016

Next week will be my fourteenth visit to North America.
Despite PA having several great brewerys, this is why I have always steered clear of that state.