RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Food and Beer | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Pale Ale BBQ Sauce

read 2186 times • 12 replies • posted 6/16/2012 10:41:09 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

premium
SHIG 3664:205
Back in March the wife and I went on a cruise that stopped in Old San Juan, Puerto Rico. While there we ate at Old Harbor Brewing. The meal my wife ordered was Pale Ale BBQíd wings. Ever since my wife has been bugging me about coming up with a recipe for it. Anyone have any ideas or know of good starting point? Iíve seen a couple online, but would rather have input from someone with proven sauces.....Shawn
Private message Send the author a private message

BelgBeerGeek 1299:34
Depends on what the sauce tasted like ... was it sweet ? hot ? smokey ? etc ...
6/16/2012 10:43:28 AM

Private message send the author a private message

jimmie65 330:29
Looking at their menu and taking a wild guess, it looks like itís probably a typical tomato-based BBQ sauce - probably with some heat added? If so, what about finding a bbq sauce recipe made with beer and modifying it with a pale ale and some spices?
6/16/2012 10:49:49 AM

premium
jzzbassman 1522:28
Hope you had better service than we did. Decent beer though.
6/17/2012 2:22:30 PM

premium
We had great service, then again it was early on a weekday. My wife considered it the highlight of the cruise.
6/17/2012 2:29:06 PM

premium
jzzbassman 1522:28
Originally posted by SHIG
We had great service, then again it was early on a weekday. My wife considered it the highlight of the cruise.

We really didnít like Old San Juan....nothing but tourist shops for the most part and it was raining so without much to do we hit up a cab and went the the state museum which was excellent.

When we got back by the boat we had an hour and a half to kill so we went in there to eat and it was late on a weekday...around 2pm. Couldnít get waited on hardly at all and our waitress knew almost nothing about the beer. The food was decent, but the sandwich was small and overpriced.

By contrast we LOVED the brewpub on St Jon V.I.
6/17/2012 7:09:05 PM

SPDickerman 991:90
well, I found a recipe that sounds pretty solid. but I donít know if itís hot or not.

- 2C Ketchup
- 1C of hoppy beer (IPAís are good); I used Surly Furious
- 1C Molasses
- 1/2 C Cider Vinegar
- 2T Stone Ground Mustard
- 2T Worcestershire Sauce
- 1T Garlic Powder
- 1/2t Salt

Mix all ingredients in a saucepan, and simmer over medium heat for 20 minutes.
7/2/2012 6:19:30 PM

premium
Tibeerious 1
First of all, pale ale is not the best choice, use tumbler brown ale or smuttynose porter. Secondly, ketchup has too much corn syrup and burns too easily. Try this:
1/2 bottle of tumbler or smuttynose porter
1 medium onion
4 garlic cloves
evoo for saute the veggies and spices and to fix texture
5 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
1 teaspoon chipotle flakes
1/2 teaspoon salt
2 teaspoon fresh coarsly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 small cans tomato paste
1/2 cup molasses
1/2 cup red wine vinegar
1/3 cup dijon mustard
1 teaspoon anchovy paste
2 teaspoons miso concentrate
7/3/2012 8:05:32 AM

ICEatALAMO 994:16
Agree that Pale Ale may not be the best choice. You could go the Smokey route with a Smoked Porter or something to give it that flavor which a lot of people like. I make a decent amount of homemade sauces, but rarely use beer in it, only while making it if you know what I mean.

I disagree about not using ketchup, I find it to work well, but there are plenty that are great that donít use it as well. I just donít think one should say not to use it, that is all.
7/3/2012 9:39:54 AM

premium
Thanks for the suggestions. I agree on the darker beers working better. I think my wife was infatuated with the idea that it was light and cooked into the skin, not all gooey. Iím going to dabble the next few weeks for sure. Itís wing time!
7/3/2012 11:36:08 AM

kryptic
Originally posted by Tibeerious
evoo

I see someone is a big Rachel Ray fan. Can you cook your sauce in 30 minutes and with $40?
7/3/2012 12:03:05 PM

Home > Forums > Food and Beer

Page 1 | 2

Food, Beer Recipes

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback