PDX or Seattle - RBSG?

Reads 6352 • Replies 108 • Started Tuesday, March 10, 2015 3:21:12 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

douglas88
admin
beers 13195 º places 398 º 01:01 Wed 3/11/2015

Originally posted by Sarlacc83
Originally posted by beastiefan2k
I’ll echo a lot of what has been said. I think PDX would be a great place to do it for the following:
1. Great beer and people on RB would love to come out.
2. Very good public transportation.
3. No need for a bus, the crawl can be walked. Saves money and headache.
4. Not an expensive city.

The amount of people that come to the gatherings differ. It seems the gatherings get a bus full of people for the crawls and maybe double that for the grand tasting.

I think if one of the cool Portland RBians started the process, a lot of RB would be very happy.

I don’t know if Douglas and I count as cool, but we’ve had a text discussion on a few of the minor preliminaries and the proposal. We’re both in it to win it, and I think that, if a few of you were available on April 17th (yes it’s one day before the deadline) to get together to discuss what we have planned and help make any corrections or add any input, I could host at my house.

I’m as cool as they get.

after4ever
admin
beers 8025 º places 322 º 01:39 Wed 3/11/2015

Originally posted by Prufrockstar
Originally posted by after4ever
Can’t argue that the beer scene in PDX surpasses SEA. And most of those breweries are new since 04, so even for the 20-30 who came last time, it would feel new.

We’ll have to throw a pre- or post-RBSG party in Seattle to lure a few people up to make a week out of it :).

Yes, we can make dreams come true, for those who follow the yellow brick road to the Emerald City.

Travlr
beers 33878 º places 4582 º 08:15 Wed 3/11/2015

Originally posted by Ferris
The last 2, which I attended, I believe were between 60-75. I think a PDX could garner more.
Yes, 100 or so would be a reasonable planning factor.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 16:51 Sun 3/22/2015

Bump on this as I (selfishly) really want to see this happen. Happy to help where I can as an outsider as well.

douglas88
admin
beers 13195 º places 398 º 17:02 Sun 3/22/2015

Originally posted by brokensail
Bump on this as I (selfishly) really want to see this happen. Happy to help where I can as an outsider as well.

Awesome. I am going to get some stuff together soon and hit up all the locals. Anyone have an idea where a grand tasting could be held?

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 18:39 Sun 3/22/2015

Originally posted by douglas88
Originally posted by brokensail

Awesome. I am going to get some stuff together soon and hit up all the locals. Anyone have an idea where a grand tasting could be held?

I think we’re going to be relegated to renting a hotel space or one of the McMenamins rooms

beastiefan2k
beers 5012 º places 294 º 19:05 Sun 3/22/2015

fwiw, I think a brewery has a lot of motivation to host a tasting. They get a bunch of tickers to come and the situation creates almost a halo effect for the brewery.

radarsock
beers 1226 º places 112 º 20:23 Sun 3/22/2015

I think I change my mind. Seattle sounds cool.

brokensail
admin
beers 21480 º places 1691 º 20:26 Sun 3/22/2015

I’m cool with either one, but (again, selfishly) would prefer PDX.

Yeah, doing it at a brewery is fine, even if it is a McMenamins. I’d also just say that having a place within walking distance or a short cab ride from the main hotel is preferable, if at all possible.

Sarlacc83
beers 2662 º places 111 º 20:35 Sun 3/22/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
fwiw, I think a brewery has a lot of motivation to host a tasting. They get a bunch of tickers to come and the situation creates almost a halo effect for the brewery.

There really aren’t any breweries here - short of a rentable Widmer space that I don’t know about - that can handle 100 people. We’d have to buy out the Horse Brass for a day to get that many people in a Portland brewery/pub.

Edit: Laurelwood might have a space, IIRC, but I don’t know how many it holds.

The other outside shot would be getting the Lucky Lab Quimby beer hall.