Peach IPA

Reads 1749 • Replies 8 • Started Wednesday, August 22, 2012 6:46:42 PM CT

Thread Frozen

pellegjr
beers 395 º places 16 º 18:46 Wed 8/22/2012

So Iíve got a peach IPA recipe (one for the wife) that Iíve tweaked probably about a half dozen times. Iím very happy with the malt, the hop profile, and the fermented character. The one angle that Iím still having trouble nailing is the peach aspect.

I tried fresh peaches pureed in secondary (turned out hot and sour) hop-derived (good but not peach flavor), and extract. I begrudgingly settled on the extract as itís the only option that yielded a distinctly peach flavor, although it tastes quite artificial.

Iím going to give it another go in the next week or so and am considering another option: peach skins in secondary. Any considerations with this option I need to address or any other potential options to yield some authentic peach flavor?

Cheers,

Joey

dchmela
beers 2986 º places 105 º 06:03 Thu 8/23/2012

Cigar City makes a fabulous Peach IPA, maybe you could shoot them an email and see what they do.

Jeppe
beers 2631 º places 84 º 06:14 Thu 8/23/2012

Dried peach in conditioning. Worked well with the beer I did at Bellwoods.

robrules
places 1 º 12:56 Mon 8/27/2012

I think Mosher (radical brewing) suggests using apricots to get peach flavor in a beer. Might be enough so you can use less peach extract anyway.

pellegjr
beers 395 º places 16 º 13:12 Mon 8/27/2012

Originally posted by robrules
I think Mosher (radical brewing) suggests using apricots to get peach flavor in a beer. Might be enough so you can use less peach extract anyway.

Sorry, forgot to mention that I tried this as well, one of the few times a Mosher technique hasnít worked out for me. No discernible peach flavor and fairly hot.

stumpyiliz
beers 217 º places 7 º 14:56 Mon 8/27/2012

amp up the abv% two points and then you can blend it with a peach juice.

JoeMcPhee
beers 9169 º places 529 º 18:06 Mon 8/27/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe

Yeah - that stuff was damn awesome. Very fruity smelling (although a lot of that was probably the hop addition as well).

Degarth
22:49 Mon 8/27/2012

Originally posted by Jeppe

We do something similar to this.

pellegjr
beers 395 º places 16 º 04:49 Tue 8/28/2012

Thanks so much for the awesome suggestions guys, sounds like dried peach in secondary is a solid option. Iíll post results.

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer