RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Pilsner Urquell Kvasnicovż (Unfiltered)?

read 732 times • 10 replies • posted 6/29/2008 12:01:26 AM

Thread Frozen

502Che 999:47
Iím confused how this beer can be so damn good being that it is a pilsner (I can enjoy a pilsner just canít imagine complexity in one) and the fact that it is pictured in a clear solo cup on its rating page. I need to try this stuff somehow and let it blow my mind!
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
cgarvieuk 13932:150
well im not a pilsner lover at all, and was suprised just how good it was. 30 more ratings for it this week from RBESG Pilzen. Its not been my top beer of the trip but close to it
6/29/2008 12:42:45 AM

Private message send the author a private message

ABUSEDGOAT 2322:57
I bet if I could ever try it Iíd really enjoy it. When I was getting into micros and doing the usual Stone/DFH thing, I couldnít stand pilsners. Now I can appreciate a lot of them.
6/29/2008 5:01:37 AM

illinismitty 2270:279
Pilsners can be complex in my book, when done well
6/29/2008 7:39:22 AM

premium
coldbrewky 1418:67
Originally posted by 502Flavors
Iím confused how this beer can be so damn good being that it is a pilsner (I can enjoy a pilsner just canít imagine complexity in one) and the fact that it is pictured in a clear solo cup on its rating page. I need to try this stuff somehow and let it blow my mind!

If you wish for this issue to be cleared up in your mind, buy a ticket to Prague and hop the train to Plzen and TAKE THE BREWERY TOUR AND QUITCHERBELLYACIN! Cheers!
6/29/2008 8:59:58 AM

premium
coldbrewky 1418:67
Trust me, itís worth the effort. I got a nice glass to drink it out of in the cellar, All I had to do was ask.
6/29/2008 9:02:22 AM

erway 1004:41
All it takes is trying to brew a good pilsner to realise just how wonderful and complex they really are. Honestly it is becoming one of my favorite styles...and I havenít even tried this one.
6/29/2008 10:52:32 AM

premium
JK 4349:271
I love a well made Bohemian Pilsner. I didnít know how awesome this style, as well as Vienna and dunkel, could be until I went to the Czech Republic.

Pilsners have a bad name among American craft beer drinkers for a variety of reasons. There are hardly any real pilsners made in the states, and even the good ones have limited availability. Add to that the fact that they donít travel well and are best fresh, and the few things we get from Europe are not in top form. Additionally, too many yellow lagers e.g., Miller Lite, call themselves pilsner beers, when the only thing they have in common with a pilsner is they are light colored lagers, which creates the perception that pilsners are crap.

6/29/2008 12:03:28 PM

PilsnerPeter 3028:100
Pilsners are one of the most underrated style in general. I just a very low rated Bohemian Pilsner, Samson, , and thought it was nice.
6/29/2008 4:10:25 PM

DerWeg 1482:38
Originally posted by 502Flavors
Iím confused how this beer can be so damn good being that it is a pilsner (I can enjoy a pilsner just canít imagine complexity in one...

Originally posted by JK
I love a well made Bohemian Pilsner. I didnít know how awesome this style, as well as Vienna and dunkel, could be until I went to the Czech Republic.

Pilsners have a bad name among American craft beer drinkers for a variety of reasons. There are hardly any real pilsners made in the states, and even the good ones have limited availability. Add to that the fact that they donít travel well and are best fresh, and the few things we get from Europe are not in top form.

+1. Owned, brother!!

People need to calm down about their preconceptions of "style = inherent quality" - the lagers from Southern Germany and Czechia did not become THE predominant styles in major beer cultures owing to a very mediocre sense of taste in beer.

On the contrary, beer drinkers in those lands have very discriminating palates & can tell a ígoodí German or Czech beer from one that doesnít íhave the taste.í

In fact, 502Flavors, Iím MORE confused why nobody can seem to make a damn good Bohemian Pilsner over this side of the Atlantic (generally speaking.) Is it perhaps because good examples have rarely been tasted here and as a result it is WE that lack discrimination or automatically think very little of all Pilsners? Itís too bad, given that authentic Bohemians are magic when they are done right.
6/29/2008 4:37:02 PM

jjohn 4:1
I just had Victoryís unfiltered Braumeister Pils last night, and it was one of the best beers I have ever had. I dont think it travels too far beyond the PA area, but if you can find it, it is outstanding.
6/29/2008 4:39:05 PM