RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Pilsner Urquell Questions

read 3859 times • 21 replies • posted 3/26/2010 4:45:10 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

premium
harrisoni 14020:22
Originally posted by Gazza
Originally posted by harrisoni
P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers Iíve drunk.

Ian, you need to get yourself to Praha and do a tour of the brewpubs and bars...

My opinion, obviously...

Yep, agree totally Gazza, I need to do more of Prague than the touristy bits I did with my sister a couple of years ago. She doesnít drink much, so beer consumption was pretty much just the standard city centre stuff.

Iíd like to do some of the places you have listed on Scoopergen.
3/26/2010 1:50:33 PM

Private message send the author a private message

DerWeg 1514:38
Originally posted by pivnizub
There were already very often discussions about this topic in the forums: But, few words about it, again: The Urquell You can get in the U.S. is made by the same ingredients as the Urquell in the Czech Republic, but.....

Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
There is also the question of where itís brewed. From what I know, all kegged beer is brewed in Pilsen, while you canít be 100% sure with bottles and cans.

Nice contradiction, ha ha. The main ingredient (water) is not always the same great Plzen CZ water which Plzen is famous for. Thereís a plant in Poland and one in Russia.

I had some Pee-yoo! (P.U.) at Ciros in Toronto recently, and maybe it was me but it did not taste very good - I nearly asked if the wrong line connected to the tap. Flabby, unfocused, lacking fine detailed aromas and flavors, dull sweet aftertaste.

I would definitely like to get back to Plzen and Prague!
3/26/2010 3:14:56 PM

tdtm82 672:82
Originally posted by Gazza
P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers Iíve drunk.

Ian, you need to get yourself to Praha and do a tour of the brewpubs and bars...

= Yes, Ian we need to tour in more global beer destinations with you!
3/26/2010 4:28:30 PM

fata2683 2176:131
Originally posted by pivnizub
There were already very often discussions about this topic in the forums: But, few words about it, again: The Urquell You can get in the U.S. is made by the same ingredients as the Urquell in the Czech Republic, but.....
There are four versions of this gorgeous stuff: Number One is not pasteurized and not filtered, fermented and lagered in wooden casks; only available during the brewery tour; a world class brew!!!! Number Two is made by the same recipe, fermented in modern cylindroconical fermenters and not filtered; only available in some pubs in Pilsen; no bottles; very good stuff, worth a detour !!! Number Three is made in the same way like Number Two, but filtered; available in so called "Tankovna" pubs, mainly in Prague; good and moreish!! Number Four is made in the same way like all others, but pasteurized and filtered; widely available in bottles, cans and KEGs. Good, but the other versions are better! Na zdravi!

thanks for this info
3/26/2010 4:46:32 PM

JesseM 1151:43
We started getting these new cans of PU from the LCBO here in Ontario recently, slightly different design and a slightly lower price than the cans we used to get. More green and smooth all over instead of the ridged castle things that used to stick out. They seem less hoppy and creamier than the older cans. Weird.

I find at a lot of bars in my area bottles of PU are actually pretty decent, very minimal skunking. So I stick with it for the night while my friends drink MDG (at best). I still have yet to have the pleasure of trying PU on tap.

Man I love this beer style.
3/26/2010 5:59:52 PM

peteinSD 1394:57
After having the real deal in the mother land I cannot bother with the bottled stuff. Fresh, clean pilsner on tap is insanely tasty. If you can, go at least once in your life.
3/26/2010 8:18:03 PM

Gazza 726:163
Originally posted by JesseM
We started getting these new cans of PU from the LCBO here in Ontario recently, slightly different design and a slightly lower price than the cans we used to get.

Itís probably the stuff made in Poland. Which is even worse.
3/27/2010 7:20:48 AM

rpattinson 84:
Originally posted by ChristianScheffel
Maybe the smmothness and creaminess in the Czech Republic has to do with a different tradition for CO2 level? Plus freshness of course.

The tradition in the Czech Republic is no CO2 pressure at all. Before 1989 draught beer was always sold by air pressure.
3/29/2010 6:25:44 AM

premium
imdownthepub 10581:522
P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers Iíve drunk. So different to the filtered and pasteurised version. And so much better. Fuller in the mouth, far more character. So easy drinking.

I remember that evening fondly too, in fact what a weekend.
3/29/2010 10:11:21 AM

premium
Marko 4030:212
Originally posted by imdownthepub
P.U. in Pilsen at Na Parkanu is just one of the best beers Iíve drunk. So different to the filtered and pasteurised version. And so much better. Fuller in the mouth, far more character. So easy drinking.

I remember that evening fondly too, in fact what a weekend.

indeed
3/29/2010 10:46:02 AM