RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Pilsner Urquell WTF price?

read 3169 times • 27 replies • posted 9/22/2007 9:43:26 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

ABUSEDGOAT 2416:57
Was in grocery store today and saw a sale on Pilsner Urquell. It was 8.30/12 pack and I was thinking... nice... because I was looking for a 6/12 pack of pilsner type beer so at that price I figured what the hell. Back in NY a 12 pack is usually $12-13 range. However, when it was rung up, it was $18. The other price was a sale on 6 packs, I misread the tag. Expensive grocery store or just more expensive in CA as opposed to NY? Iíve noticed Belgian prices are all over the place in comparison to the east coast. Some Cantillon stuff is a few dollars less, some more mainstream Belgians stuff is a few dollars more... but this is just some stupid Pilsner made by Miller.

Itís kinda funny because I wonít flinch when spending $25 on a rare bottle (2006 Bon Chien for example..) of beer, but paying $5 or $6 extra on a 12 pack common beer made me not buy it.
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Reid 1944:45
Originally posted by ABUSEDGOAT
Was in grocery store today and saw a sale on Pilsner Urquell. It was 8.30/12 pack and I was thinking... nice... because I was looking for a 6/12 pack of pilsner type beer so at that price I figured what the hell. Back in NY a 12 pack is usually $12-13 range. However, when it was rung up, it was $18. The other price was a sale on 6 packs, I misread the tag. Expensive grocery store or just more expensive in CA as opposed to NY? Iíve noticed Belgian prices are all over the place in comparison to the east coast. Some Cantillon stuff is a few dollars less, some more mainstream Belgians stuff is a few dollars more... but this is just some stupid Pilsner made by Miller.

Itís kinda funny because I wonít flinch when spending $25 on a rare bottle (2006 Bon Chien for example..) of beer, but paying $5 or $6 extra on a 12 pack common beer made me not buy it.

If it said "8.30/12 pack" on the sign I would expect to pay THAT for a 12 pack, if they rang up $18, I would demand that i be given the price advertised on the rack, if they would not I would politly decline to buy the 12 pack and leave.
PU is usually aboyt $12-13 a 12 pack here also.
9/22/2007 9:49:01 PM

Private message send the author a private message

erway 1004:41
but this is just some stupid Pilsner made by Miller.

What is it exactly that you would change about this beer? What would make it a better example of the style?
9/22/2007 10:48:21 PM

DerWeg 1524:38
Originally posted by erway

What is it exactly that you would change about this beer? What would make it a better example of the style?

WADR itís not that good compared to its former self, which is to say the original pitched-barrel aging and whole-flower hopping must have created some of the incredible aroma I experienced twelve years ago especially right there in CZ. Whereas today... sure, Urquell is okay but Miller-SAB has whored the name of an historic icon to step up eficiency.

I like Christoffel far better right now, itís fantastic & a real íoriginal.í
9/22/2007 11:16:37 PM

ABUSEDGOAT 2416:57
I donít think Iíd change anything. I mean.. I rated it well over itís rating.. which I donít do very often. I definitely think it kicks ass if itís fresh. Iím defintely tempted to try the brewery only version or whatever though...

They actually went and checked the price, I was wrong. I wouldnít have assumed that the 6 pack would be on ísaleí for $8+ when Iíve seen it for $7 not on sale. But the point is... Iíve never seen a 12 pack of the stuff even close to $18. Whatever... itís not a big deal.
9/23/2007 12:07:50 AM

JCapriotti 1379:67
Originally posted by DerWeg
WADR itís not that good compared to its former self

define "WADR"
9/23/2007 12:12:24 AM

jesskidden 1
Originally posted by DerWeg

WADR itís not that good compared to its former self, which is to say the original pitched-barrel aging and whole-flower hopping must have created some of the incredible aroma I experienced twelve years ago especially right there in CZ. Whereas today... sure, Urquell is okay but Miller-SAB has whored the name of an historic icon to step up eficiency.

The wooden aging tanks were eliminated in the 90ís (I remember reading about it first in MJís Pocket Guide- í97 edition) well before SAB bought the brewery in Pilsen in 1999 (and so, needless to say, also before SABís purchase of Miller in 2002).

Likewise, as discussed here http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/for-media/za-branou-employees-magazine/2005/3-2005-01
the switch to pelletized hops occurred when the brewery was still independent.

"...we decided more than fifteen years ago to use hops from Zatec compacted into pellets immediately after harvesting for the production of Pilsner Urquell." (So, pellets have been in use since 1990- the last 17 years.)

I, too, agree that PU has lost "something" over the years (it seems a bit "lighter" in both color and flavor since I first had it in the 1970ís)) BUT it sure is a lot easier to find fresh stock (date codes, and all) and un-light struck packaging (including wrapped 12 packs and the 1/2 liter cans) today- when itís one of my regular "rotation" pils unlike years ago when Iíd "take a chance" on a six pack on a rare ocassion when it looked like a new case that I could "steal" a six pack from. Sometimes I wonder if the "lightness" I find today isnít in some ways a factor of the freshness.

I was always a big fan of the famous quote by brewer Ivo Hlavacek (which I read in an interview in my early days of "beer ed"):

"We spend two years studying each new brewing technique as it comes along--before rejecting it."

...and I hated to see stuff like the cork lined caps disappear and cringed when I heard about the SAB purchase, but, all in all, itís still world classic beer.
9/23/2007 5:52:59 AM

jesskidden 1
Surfing around that Pilsner Urquell website some more, I came across an interesting article about the cooperage at the brewery and the fact that they still do use wooden barrels for aging a small percentage of the their beer. Available only at the brewery- for visitors and to "...compare traditionally brewed and the industrially produced Pilsner Urquell beer." Interestingly worded, I thought- would Anheuser-Busch ever be so frank?

http://www.prazdroj.cz/en/for-media/news/350
9/23/2007 6:18:08 AM

Gazza 726:163

Going back to proper lagering times, uing wooden casks for primary fermentation as per the original method, using whole hops not extract, making it in only in Plzen... howís that for a start?

Multinationals - just say no!!!
9/23/2007 7:48:58 AM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by Gazza

Going back to proper lagering times, uing wooden casks for primary fermentation as per the original method, using whole hops not extract, making it in only in Plzen... howís that for a start?

Multinationals - just say no!!!

You are talking about brewing techniques that, and I am going out on a limb here, you probably donít realize the actual affect of. Now, instead of quoting what you have read from Roger Protz and others, tell me what you would change about the flavor, body and presentation of the beer.
9/23/2007 11:29:10 AM

DerWeg 1524:38
Originally posted by jesskidden

Surfing around that Pilsner Urquell website some more, I came across an interesting article about the cooperage at the brewery and the fact that they still do use wooden barrels for aging a small percentage of the their beer. Available only at the brewery...

And that beer is one of the highest percentile Lagers in the world. Urquell Unfiltered

While the beer I drank in Plzen and Prague were clearly two different beers, I still think the bottled/draught Prague version had leagues of three-dimensional character that I donít detect in Urquell anymore. Even the imported bottles twelve years ago had some of the "being right in Bohemia" magic I no longer feel is there - but if you guys insist, Iíll keep sampling fresh stock.

(Though why bother if Christoffel is a no-excuses sure thing when itís really fresh?)
9/23/2007 11:36:21 AM