RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Pilsner Urquell

read 1278 times • 21 replies • posted 10/23/2007 10:16:52 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3

kenb 1102:4
Well, everyone of these i had ever had in bomber bottles was at least partially skunked and just not very good.
But that is all i had ever seen available.
However today while shopping at the local Safeway grocery, i notice two things. #1 they have tripled their craft beer selections, and #2, they now offer Pilsner Urquell in a sealed 12 pack (well 90% sealed at least).
SO i figure, what the hell...maybe i will get lucky.
Well low and behold, this beer is not skunky in the least and is pretty damned tasty. I can actually smell the Saaz hops and malts, and even some subtle fruity notes.
Have anyone else noticed this big a difference?
Honestly, i would not even have known it was the same beer, it was sooo much better.
We should have rating options here for the skunked and unskunked versions, as they really are nothing alike
Private message Send the author a private message

beastiefan2k 2440:177
available in cans as well
10/23/2007 10:22:14 PM

Private message send the author a private message

ChillCoat 1029:43
Iíve found the bottled version to be nothing like the kegged version: Iím guessiing my bottles have come from six pack carriers that have enjoyed the top-deck of a slow cruise over the pond.

Kegged, however, this beer is great! (I hear the cans are good too but havenít tried them yet).

I say; if theyíre going to continue to bottle in green glass, they should take whatever ratings are given to them.

10/23/2007 10:26:51 PM

billk 353:59
I got a couple 12 packs about a month and a half ago that were 5 months before the date stamp. If I figure right it was only 1 month old. Age seems to make a big difference on Pils Urquell. I always check the dates and if itís not less than 3 months old I donít buy it.

I thought those 2 12s were quite good. I have to be in an Urquell mood to enjoy it, and when I am I canít stop drinking it.
10/24/2007 3:25:09 AM

jesskidden 1
Originally posted by billk
I got a couple 12 packs about a month and a half ago that were 5 months before the date stamp. If I figure right it was only 1 month old. Age seems to make a big difference on Pils Urquell. I always check the dates and if itís not less than 3 months old I donít buy it.

Agree that PU has to be purchased from a closed case/12 pack (havenít tried the new "wrap-around" six packs, but them still seem a little too "open" to me) and as fresh as possible but, according to this pdf. file on SABMiller date codes, their imports have a "pull date" of 9 months from the production date.

http://www.millerbrewing.com/brandsBreweries/pdf/mbcocodedateguide.pdf

For "standard strength" beers, I have a personal "shelf life" of 2-4 months, for imports, given the longer time to get on the shelf, I extent it to 6 months. Anything bought in green bottles (mostly Jever and PU), only by the sealed case. Really love the 1/2 liter Pilsner Urquell cans, thoí my local distributor isnít really pushing them and theyíre only carried by a few stores and in much smaller quantities that bottles. (Seems they dropped the "bombers" and some retailers are only using the cans to sell as singles, rather than by the case).
10/24/2007 6:44:22 AM

faroeviking 10289:131
The very best fresh from tap......
10/24/2007 7:17:32 AM

LeRay 17:6
Iíve always had this beer from bottles and itís always been one of my favorites. Iíve had it on tap a few times too.

What do you mean by sealed 12 pack?
10/24/2007 9:04:43 AM

jesskidden 1
Originally posted by LeRay

What do you mean by sealed 12 pack?

http://www.bevmo.com/115images/60392.jpg

"Sealed", rather than an open (and, thus, exposing the green bottles to light), basket-type six pack holder. Might not be in all markets, thoí.

The new PU six-pack packaging wraps the bottles from the base of the neck down, but some light no doubt can still get in.
10/24/2007 9:30:46 AM

LeRay 17:6
Oh...ok...I gotícha. Thanks for the photo.
Yes we do have those here.

So youíre saying that green bottles and sunlight are a bad thing, correct? I had heard that sunlight affects beer.
10/24/2007 9:34:29 AM

premium
MrRomero 1976:112
I enjoyed one from the airport in Prague earlier today.
10/24/2007 9:49:06 AM

jesskidden 1
Originally posted by LeRay

So youíre saying that green bottles and sunlight are a bad thing, correct?

Only in combination with beer especially hoppy, lighter beers, since itís the hops reacting to the light. And, of course, clear glass is even worse and florescent light is not much better. A quick Googliní of "light struck beer" will turn up some good (and some bad) articles on the subject.
10/24/2007 10:00:39 AM