Pittsburgh Magazine’s ’Burgh Brew Bracket

Reads 1861 • Replies 17 • Started Thursday, January 7, 2016 1:12:15 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

mdg164
13:12 Thu 1/7/2016

What will our readers select as the best brew in the ‘Burgh? Pittsburgh Magazine invited local and regional breweries to submit a beer of their choice to compete in a bracket-style, readers’ poll tournament. 16 locally-brewed beers are going head to-head. Seeds for the tournament of 16 were randomly selected. Cast your vote now for round one. We’ll let you know when subsequent rounds of voting begin. The winner will be announced in our March issue.

Vote at:
http://www.pittsburghmagazine.com/Pittsburgh-Magazine/January-2016/Burgh-Brew-Brackets/

mdg164
13:20 Thu 1/7/2016

I’m a little surprised that Blue Canoe made it on the list when other breweries that are much closer and make much better beer were snubbed. Putting it up against Dark side of the pint at least ensures it gets destroyed, as that is probably the best beer on the list IMO. My final would end up as Four Seasons vs. East End. Voodoo could challenge east end and even win it all if they picked a better beer than good vibes, like any stout they make.

ShuBrew: Jungleboot IPA > The Brew Gentlemen Beer Co.: General Braddock’s IPA

Hop Farm Brewing Company: Hop Farm IPA > Rivertowne Brewing Company: Schloppy Monster Double IPA

Penn Brewery: Chocolate Meltdown > Hitchhiker Brewing Company: The Barbarian IPA

Four Seasons Brewing Company, Inc.: Darkside of the Pint > The Blue Canoe Brewery: Heavy Kevy Scotch Ale

Grist House Brewing: Fire on the Hill > Spoonwood Brewing Company: Cold Drip City

East End Brewing Co.: Snow Melt > Church Brew Works: Pious Monk Dunkel

North Country Brewing Co: Station 33 Firehouse Red > Full Pint Brewing: White Lightning

Voodoo Brewery: Good Vibes >Beaver Brewing Company: I.Porter.A

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 14:42 Thu 1/7/2016

Surprised by Blue Canoe as well. Would sub Roundabout Hyer-PA.

mdg164
16:36 Thu 1/7/2016

Just saw on twitter that roundabout declined to participate. It also looks like each brewery submitted a beer.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 09:21 Fri 1/8/2016

Originally posted by mdg164
Just saw on twitter that roundabout declined to participate. It also looks like each brewery submitted a beer.

Yep it was sent as a request to submit a beer it wasn’t the magazine picking the beers for the bracket.

User52877
places 3 º 19:58 Fri 1/8/2016

It didn’t look like a fair fight with some of them.

mdg164
06:12 Mon 1/11/2016

Originally posted by estover

Agreed. Two that are particularly unfair are:

Four Seasons > The Blue Canoe

East End > Church Brew Works

Two of the best local breweries against two of the worst. Voodoo is also pretty unfair for Beaver to go up against, but for some reason they picked good vibes... so IMO that weakens voodoo in this poll.

Beerman6686
beers 6607 º places 149 º 07:58 Mon 1/11/2016

Originally posted by estover

Agreed. Two that are particularly unfair are:

Four Seasons > The Blue Canoe

East End > Church Brew Works

Two of the best local breweries against two of the worst. Voodoo is also pretty unfair for Beaver to go up against, but for some reason they picked good vibes... so IMO that weakens voodoo in this poll.

Might be unfair because of the specific beers they chose, but overall as breweries, you have the greater than sign going the wrong way with the East End/Church Match Up

Art
beers 3223 º places 131 º 13:01 Mon 1/11/2016

I’m a little surprised that Blue Canoe made it on the list when other breweries that are much closer and make much better beer were snubbed. Putting it up against Dark side of the pint at least ensures it gets destroyed, as that is probably the best beer on the list IMO. My final would end up as Four Seasons vs. East End. Voodoo could challenge east end and even win it all if they picked a better beer than good vibes, like any stout they make.

ShuBrew: Jungleboot IPA > The Brew Gentlemen Beer Co.: General Braddock’s IPA

Hop Farm Brewing Company: Hop Farm IPA > Rivertowne Brewing Company: Schloppy Monster Double IPA

Penn Brewery: Chocolate Meltdown > Hitchhiker Brewing Company: The Barbarian IPA

Four Seasons Brewing Company, Inc.: Darkside of the Pint > The Blue Canoe Brewery: Heavy Kevy Scotch Ale

Grist House Brewing: Fire on the Hill > Spoonwood Brewing Company: Cold Drip City

East End Brewing Co.: Snow Melt > Church Brew Works: Pious Monk Dunkel

North Country Brewing Co: Station 33 Firehouse Red > Full Pint Brewing: White Lightning

Voodoo Brewery: Good Vibes >Beaver Brewing Company: I.Porter.A

Have you tried General Braddock’s? That may be the winner of the whole thing.

mdg164
05:27 Tue 1/12/2016

It’s been a while since I’ve had it, but wasn’t impressed. I had it losing in the first round to shubrew, which makes some good beer. You guys are telling me that things have changed with a new brewer, so I need to get back out there.

mdg164
06:18 Tue 1/19/2016

Round 2 is out, no real surprises. I didn’t pick the brew gentlemen or hitchhiker, but I would have guessed that they won. I really need to get down to the brew gentlemen and give it a third chance. But going on memory, I can’t pick them.

Hop Farm Brewing Company: Hop Farm IPA > The Brew Gentlemen Beer Co.: General Braddock’s IPA

Four Seasons Brewing Company, Inc.: Darkside of the Pint > Hitchhiker Brewing Company: The Barbarian IPA

East End Brewing Co.: Snow Melt > Grist House Brewing: Fire on the Hill

North Country Brewing Co: Station 33 Firehouse Red > Voodoo Brewery: Good Vibes (I love voodoo, and I fully expect them to win this matchup, I just don’t like good vibes)