Place Rating Format

Reads 1167 • Replies 15 • Started Friday, June 14, 2013 6:41:46 PM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

After a trip to DC, back through West Virginia, and finally home again into Kentucky, I have been thinking about how I format my place ratings. I have come up with the following "Big 3" categories:

PROS: What I liked (obviously)
CONS: What I didn’t like (also duh)
OVERALL+NOTES: Overall impressions, plus additional information about the area (parking/transport, other amenities, etc.)

What is your place rating "format"? What do you think of this simple model?

Dogbrick
beers 18567 º places 883 º 21:05 Fri 6/14/2013

Mine is similar, it goes:

Location, parking

Exterior, interior

Beer selection (taps, bottles)

Service

Food

Overall impression

Originally posted by Dogbrick
Mine is similar, it goes:

Location, parking

Exterior, interior

Beer selection (taps, bottles)

Service

Food

Overall impression
That’s a nice format. After reading reviews to some of the places I went, there were few folks who really took the time to give parking/transportation/area info.

I won’t speak for anyone else, but I could really amp up my place ratings; I’d like others traveling in my area (or places where I’ve been) to not have the same struggles I had trying to find places to park, etc.

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 10:34 Sat 6/15/2013

I think it’s much more individual than beer ratings are. I try to look at:
What makes this place unique.
Why would you want to go there? And who would want to go there?

If it’s the best place in a small town, then that is its special quality, and quite different from the exact same place in a big beer town. Some places focus on local beer which is great for tourists, while others focus on well known great beers, which wouldn’t impress a beer tourist as much (like finding Mikkeller in Prague - great for the locals, but not my reason to travel to Prague)

Originally posted by Christian
I think it’s much more individual than beer ratings are. I try to look at:
What makes this place unique.
Why would you want to go there? And who would want to go there?

If it’s the best place in a small town, then that is its special quality, and quite different from the exact same place in a big beer town. Some places focus on local beer which is great for tourists, while others focus on well known great beers, which wouldn’t impress a beer tourist as much (like finding Mikkeller in Prague - great for the locals, but not my reason to travel to Prague)
That is a very cool angle; in the "overall" I want to sum up why someone would visit the destination in question.

JoeMcPhee
beers 12092 º places 543 º 11:05 Sat 6/15/2013

I try to rate every place I get to that is on/should be on the site. It’s a very important community function. Question - what could the site do to encourage more of it?

HenrikSoegaard
beers 20702 º places 691 º 11:12 Sat 6/15/2013

Here is a tryout for a rating form for places....

Place-rating

Place:
City:

Ambiance 1-5 _______

1: Dont want to be here 2: Boring 3: OK 4: Cosey
5: Excellent

Service 1-10 _______
Beerlists good/bad
Friendly
Knowledge
1-2: Very pour 3-4: Not existent 5-6: Average
7-8: some extra 9-10: The Full Monty

Selection 1-15 _______
No. Cask
No. Taps
No. New ratings
No Micro taps
No. Bottles
No. Unik for the place
Guest taps/Changing taps
Beercard/Beerboard

Food (1-10) ________

1-2: Bad 3-4: Eateble 5-6: God 7-8: Very good 9-10: Excellent
Pricelevel: High/Medium/low

Value (1-10) ________
General pricelevel

Overall 1-20 ________
1-4 Never comming back
5-8: Might come back
9-12:Nice place
13-16: Realy nice place
17-20: World class

Originally posted by JoeMcPhee
Question - what could the site do to encourage more of it?
I’m not sure. With beer ratings you have a "overall/style" which is prominent, whereas place ratings use a five-star system. Maybe if we did an "overall/type (of place)" format, the rating would seem more meaningful? Just an idea, really.

HenrikSoegaard
beers 20702 º places 691 º 11:24 Sat 6/15/2013

Top 100 placeraters and improove the statitics in generel for placeratings. Its in the beginning but not 100% full filled yet.

Originally posted by ContemplateBeer
Question - what could the site do to encourage more of it?
I’m not sure. With beer ratings you have a "overall/style" which is prominent, whereas place ratings use a five-star system. Maybe if we did an "overall/type (of place)" format, the rating would seem more meaningful? Just an idea, really.

Christian
beers 17296 º places 278 º 03:33 Sun 6/16/2013

I try to rate every place I get to that is on/should be on the site. It’s a very important community function. Question - what could the site do to encourage more of it?

Make an announcement that number of beer ratings have no actual value. And that the cool kids are the ones with many and meaningful place ratings

pinkie
beers 470 º places 10 º 07:27 Sun 6/16/2013

I look for dollar value and originality in not only the beer selection but in the menu. I find place rating to be an afterthought though and if there was some way to overcome that it would help. I think it’s partially because when I go to a restaurant I am not looking for great beer per se because I buy that and have it at home. If a place has a great beer selection then I will definitely note it.