RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Beer Travel | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Place Rating Format

read 782 times • 15 replies • posted 6/14/2013 6:41:46 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

notalush 4992:340
What I focus on depends largely on what type of place I am rating. If itís a bar or a brewpub/brewery, Iíll focus a lot more on ambience, location, and service, as I feel these are of much greater importance than they are at a bottle shop. If itís a bottle shop, I will focus more on selection.

Iíll also look at things differently depending on whether it is a local place or a place in a city I am visiting, as I want different things from a local joint (although I will often make notes in my ratings of local places about what an out of towner might think of the place).

I really do think we need to figure out a way to encourage people to write more in their place ratings, as I think the content of place ratings is much more important and useful than the content of beer ratings. Iím a little tired of reading a bunch of place ratings that say "Cool shop with a great selection. Service was awesome. Recommended!"

Perhaps we can have some kind of ranking system similar to how amazon does itís product review rankings (you know, that "was this review helpful" button?).
6/16/2013 8:07:15 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
Christian 11274:237
Originally posted by notalush
I really do think we need to figure out a way to encourage people to write more in their place ratings, as I think the content of place ratings is much more important and useful than the content of beer ratings. Iím a little tired of reading a bunch of place ratings that say "Cool shop with a great selection. Service was awesome. Recommended!"

Perhaps we can have some kind of ranking system similar to how amazon does itís product review rankings (you know, that "was this review helpful" button?).

When travelling, that description is often all I take away from myfive minute visit scanning through the beer selection. I really, really like the ranking idea. Although recent ratings are also important. Perhaps still list reviews by date, but add a smaller or larger star to show the "helpful" rating?
6/16/2013 8:35:14 AM

ContemplateBeer 1580:117
Originally posted by notalush
What I focus on depends largely on what type of place I am rating. If itís a bar or a brewpub/brewery, Iíll focus a lot more on ambience, location, and service, as I feel these are of much greater importance than they are at a bottle shop. If itís a bottle shop, I will focus more on selection.

Iíll also look at things differently depending on whether it is a local place or a place in a city I am visiting, as I want different things from a local joint (although I will often make notes in my ratings of local places about what an out of towner might think of the place).

The "helpful review" suggestion is a fantastic one, especially if it could come up somehow as a statistic on our profiles. For a person to have the top number of "helpful reviews" would be an honor indeed.

What a wonderful way to see our contribution to the community!
6/16/2013 12:10:49 PM

ContemplateBeer 1580:117
So, two pages, some possibly useful suggestions- and one admin has joined the discussion. Any others have thoughts on what we could do?
6/16/2013 5:33:33 PM

premium
decaturstevo 5213:135
I like the comment on parking. That is a handy bit of info to consider. I think the idea of consideration of size of distribution possibilities is important. I live in a super small town where that would be relevant in the decision on where to stop. TVís and music selection for an old guy like me mean a lot as well. Dog friendly should be a listing as well. We got a shit eater that we take with us from time to time. It is always nice to know if she is welcome, and what considerations must be met to bring her along. Cost of food and beer are important as well. Are there flights available and if so what are the restrictions. I travel a lot and rely on your comments to help decide where to stop. Rate those places if you would. cheerstevo
6/16/2013 7:05:45 PM

Home > Forums > Beer Travel

Page 1 | 2
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers