Portland

Reads 2986 • Replies 56 • Started Tuesday, June 9, 2015 2:13:31 AM CT

The forums you're viewing are the static, archived version. You won't be able to post or reply here.
Our new, modern forums are here:
RateBeer Forums

Thread Frozen

DuffMan
beers 10981 º places 349 º 12:39 Wed 7/8/2015

I think the bathroom thing deserves its own entire episode of Portlandia

beastiefan2k
beers 5008 º places 294 º 15:29 Wed 7/8/2015

This is not an Oregon thing. Many places nowadays have single occupancy bathrooms. Sometimes they are labeled Men and Women but I use whichever is free.

Frankly, I miss the horse troughs. Now that’s a way to move the bathroom line.

dicemanstl
beers 21 º places 1 º 18:43 Wed 7/8/2015

I think we can all agree that the Timbers are the biggest problem with Portland ;)

footbalm
beers 1219 º places 76 º 20:29 Wed 7/8/2015

http://www.toiletinspector.com/ Go ahead and blast those nasty public unisex bathrooms. But was the beer experience tasty?

douglas88
admin
beers 13192 º places 398 º 23:47 Wed 7/8/2015

I can totally see woman not wanting to share a restroom that men have used. But as has been said, this is common all over in smaller places. Portland has tons of breweries, but most are very small. Cascade is expanding, so I expect more bathrooms. I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue in PDX with waiting for bathrooms.
By the way, I hate the gas thing. I want to pump my own gas again!

digita7693
beers 1 º places 7 º 03:05 Thu 7/9/2015

Originally posted by dicemanstl
I think we can all agree that the Timbers are the biggest problem with Portland ;)

Dont hate just bc Portland is a better city;)

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:50 Thu 7/9/2015

Originally posted by beastiefan2k
This is not an Oregon thing. Many places nowadays have single occupancy bathrooms. Sometimes they are labeled Men and Women but I use whichever is free.

Frankly, I miss the horse troughs. Now that’s a way to move the bathroom line.

I did indeed poke my head in at Jake’s (right? across the street from McMs Crystal Hotel) just to look at the tap lineup, the fish menu (halibut & razor clams...dammit, I should’ve had razor clams one night...), and of course, the piss trough AT THE BAR.

Whether this is a uniquely Oregon thing or not, this I don’t know, having not visited every one of the Several States in the Union. But it was certainly new to me back then, and I’ve never had to wait in line to piss at a brewpub or restaurant (hell, even Higgins had these idiotic one-holers) outside of Oregon. Or Rome, but then we’d expect Oregon to be ahead of the sloppier southern Euro countries, wouldn’t we?

No, I guess not.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:53 Thu 7/9/2015

Originally posted by douglas88
I can totally see woman not wanting to share a restroom that men have used. But as has been said, this is common all over in smaller places. Portland has tons of breweries, but most are very small. Cascade is expanding, so I expect more bathrooms. I can’t say I’ve ever had an issue in PDX with waiting for bathrooms.
By the way, I hate the gas thing. I want to pump my own gas again!

Like I said, I’ve only ever seen this in Orygun and olde southern Europe. There are codes governing this sort of thing elsewhere, requiring x number of toilets & pissers for y number of customers, especially for the gastro trade.

I used to drive to Vancouver to pump my own, since I got tired of pumpmonkeys slopping gas on my car or not getting the cap back on properly, despite the INTENSIVE TRAINING required to perform such a dangerous job.

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 08:54 Thu 7/9/2015

Originally posted by dicemanstl

Was surprised to see no baseball being played there. And that not only was Kitzhaber STILL governer, also that he’d quit!

Erlangernick
beers 6 º places 2 º 09:05 Thu 7/9/2015

Originally posted by footbalm
http://www.toiletinspector.com/ Go ahead and blast those nasty public unisex bathrooms. But was the beer experience tasty?

Lots to say about the beer. Have to strategise how to say it.

Was very pleased to see McMenamins places having improved, both brewing and general competency of staff. And the Machine House Mild, cask-conditioned (apprently *really* cask-conditioned, not just typical Oregon-style keg-through-a-handpump stuff) at the Green Dragon. And seeing Russ running the place there, catching up with him from old days in Newport & Flanders St.

Really liked Breakside & Burnside, but only got to them once each. Also liked Hopworks, the brewpub in SE, not so much the Hipsterdome up north. Didn’t manage to run into John Harris to congratulate him on Ecliptic, really competent beers there, if nothing wow-y. I don’t need wow-y though.

God, I’d love to have the Fulton and Hillsdale brewpubs here. And the new Wilsonville place. And Bombs Away in Corvallis...could be happy having that here too. Would trade 5 dozen Franconian lager breweries for it. No, 10 dozen.