RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Prickly Pear Wine

read 1230 times • 8 replies • posted 9/24/2012 7:03:10 PM

Thread Frozen

GVegasBrewer 1:
Just made a batch of Prickly Pear wine. For a 5 gallon batch I used ~1.8 gallons of pure prickly pear juice and 20lbs of sugar. I used a starter and pitched Montrachet yeast after adding camden tablets to the wort for 24 hours. The OG is ~1.19! Thoughts?? OG too high??
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
Naven 1000:92
Wow that is going to be some strong hooch.
9/24/2012 7:13:37 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
CanIHave4Beers 3351:74
You ever consider brewing a wheat beer with Prickly Pear and Texas grown hops?
9/24/2012 9:01:58 PM

eelbasher 285:6
Idk too much about making wine, but is 20lb of sugar necessary?? I mean for anything besides baking.....
9/24/2012 9:11:01 PM

GVegasBrewer 1:
Could be...but we have made muscadine wine with 20lbs of sugar and still had a fairly dry wine. The prickly pear juice is not very sweet.

Originally posted by eelbasher
Idk too much about making wine, but is 20lb of sugar necessary?? I mean for anything besides baking.....
9/25/2012 5:20:49 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by GVegasBrewer
Could be...but we have made muscadine wine with 20lbs of sugar and still had a fairly dry wine. The prickly pear juice is not very sweet.

Originally posted by eelbasher

sugar doesn’t make it sweet. Did you add any yeast nutrient at all? Do you plan to distill it?
9/25/2012 7:06:18 AM

radarsock 1000:50
I would never even consider doing a prickly pear wine because you would have to touch prickly pears and their thorn stay in your palms for hours. Did you buy thr juice or did you squeeze it yourself?
9/25/2012 7:16:38 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by radarsock
I would never even consider doing a prickly pear wine because you would have to touch prickly pears and their thorn stay in your palms for hours. Did you buy thr juice or did you squeeze it yourself?

The Mexican grocery by my house sells them sans pricklies. They’re called tuna there.
9/25/2012 9:42:04 AM

GVegasBrewer 1:
I used a small propane torch to singe the thorns off (still on the cactus), then used gloves to handle the pears and cut them into quarters before using a potato masher on them before bringing to a low boil and then straining through cheese cloth.

Originally posted by radarsock
9/25/2012 2:20:56 PM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add