RateBeer

primary sample, sulfury smell

read 573 times • 6 replies •

Thread Frozen

sharpe1987
beers 8 º 18:03 Mon 2/11/2013

Just took a sample of hefeweizen from the primary after 9 days and got an immediate sulfur smell. After degassing and letting it sit in the pint glass for a few minutes it was far less noticeable. Is this something that is a common byproduct from fermentation, or an off-flavor?

Yeast: Wyeast 3068 Weihenstephan
Primary average temp around 60F, fluctuated down a degree or two depending on my basement ambient temp that day.

lithy
beers 2996 º places 156 º 18:08 Mon 2/11/2013

Way common with that yeast, let it condition a bit longer, preferably in a secondary if it has reached a terminal gravity and it will clean up.

mathieuc
premium
beers 2285 º places 5 º 18:08 Mon 2/11/2013

My only experience remotely connected to this was with Wyeast 3787 Trappist High Gravity. This specific strain puts out a lot of sulfur when underpitched/stressed it seems. All I know is that my closet smelled like crap for the first few days though.

SamGamgee
premium
beers 2452 º places 182 º 19:14 Mon 2/11/2013

Hefe yeast gets a bit sulfury if itís upset or early in fermentation. Our Hefe gets sulfury on day 2 but usually cleans up by day 3-4 and gets super banana-y. But weíre brewing with a big, freshly propagated pitch of yeast that gets to terminal gravity within about three days. With a smaller pitch, it will take longer to clean up, but you should be good with a little more aging. Sulfur in general will always age out, just depends on storage time. Many lagers take weeks to get the sulfur down to acceptable levels.

t0rin0
premium
beers 72 º places 1508 º 19:45 Mon 2/11/2013

Originally posted by SamGamgee
Sulfur in general will always age out, just depends on storage time.

Does it have to blow off or does it get consumed? Just wondering if there is any hope for bottled beer that tastes sulfury.

NobleSquirrel
beers 3438 º places 209 º 19:50 Mon 2/11/2013

I always rouse my fermenters, even more so with sulfury strains. Iím using Anerican lager right now (3rd generation) and it is the most fart smelling yeast Iíve ever used. Time seems to clean it up well.

drowland
premium
beers 7059 º places 216 º 19:58 Mon 2/11/2013

Iíve found a few times when Iíve brewed wheat beers with wheat yeasts, I get a sort of phenolic-y burnt plastic aspect on the aroma early in the fermentation (<1 week) that always clears up. Similar, or unrelated?

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer