RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Priming with Gyle, whack gravity?

read 360 times • 3 replies • posted 3/4/2012 8:12:17 PM

Thread Frozen

DA 1
Ok homebrew crew, question for you. Iíve been working on priming my bottles with save gyle. What Iíve been doing is putting aside the required amount into a sanitized growler and storing that in the freezer, then transferring that to the fridge the week before bottling, then quickly boiling before adding to the bottling bucket.

What Iíve found though is my gyle is dropping gravity somewhere in this period. When I pull the gyle from my kettle it will measure, say on one batch 1.055, then when I check the gravity before bottling the gyle is at 1.048. I canít imagine this is fermenting at all since most of the time it is frozen, and the week before bottling itís slowing warming from 32 to 40ish. Can it? Other ideas with freezing?

Ideas
Private message Send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
My guess is that as it thaws, it may be stratifying and giving a perception of change in gravity? Are you making sure to stir prior to sampling?
3/5/2012 7:13:14 AM

Private message send the author a private message

DA 1
Yah, I did swirl the growler before testing. I was wondering if something was happening in the freezing/unfreezing process, maybe pulling vapor in and condensating? But Iíd be surprised if there was enough condensation to drop it 7 points.

This next round I just kept it in the fridge instead of freezing it, so Iíll see if that changes anything.
3/5/2012 8:39:35 AM

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by DA
Yah, I did swirl the growler before testing. I was wondering if something was happening in the freezing/unfreezing process, maybe pulling vapor in and condensating? But Iíd be surprised if there was enough condensation to drop it 7 points.

This next round I just kept it in the fridge instead of freezing it, so Iíll see if that changes anything.

a buddy of mine actually cans his with ball jars. Uses that for starters and gyling.
3/5/2012 9:22:36 AM

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add