RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Homebrew | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Non-US | Industry | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

priming with honey

read 15020 times • 12 replies • posted 5/26/2006 12:23:33 PM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2

funkyhops
Instead of using priming sugar, I am going to use honey. How much should I use for a 3 gallon batch?
Private message Send the author a private message

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by funky_hops
Instead of using priming sugar, I am going to use honey. How much should I use for a 3 gallon batch?

Honey is inconsistent in sugar content and is therefore not appropriate for use as a priming sugar.
5/26/2006 2:12:04 PM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
kp 10886:11
And donít calculate out the right amount for a 5g batch and then switch to 3g batches without recalculating.
Took years for that batch to settle down and not taste like a sweet mead.
5/26/2006 2:16:33 PM

FOAMer 45:2
5/26/2006 2:50:00 PM

peter 445:17
Why do you want to use honey?
5/26/2006 2:54:56 PM

funkyhops
I think my local homebrew shop has gone out of business...or something fishy is going on. It hasnt been open all week, and the only thing I dont have at the moment is priming sugar. My batch is ready to bottle, so I figured some honey might do the trick. What else can you prime with?
5/26/2006 3:02:17 PM

FOAMer 45:2
I think my local homebrew shop has gone out of business...or something fishy is going on. It hasnt been open all week, and the only thing I dont have at the moment is priming sugar. My batch is ready to bottle, so I figured some honey might do the trick. What else can you prime with?

Honey, cane sugar, or DME will work for priming. Just use the like I gave you and you will be fine.

Just remember to relax,...................
5/26/2006 3:13:49 PM

peter 445:17

You can also convert table sugar. What part of the world are you in? Perhaps there is another local store.
5/26/2006 3:15:31 PM

erway 1004:41
Originally posted by FOAMer

Honey, cane sugar, or DME will work for priming. Just use the like I gave you and you will be fine.

If you follow this link and try to prime with honey there is a hell of a good chance that one of two things will happen:
1) You will have a flat beer.
2) You will have a bottle bomb.

Honey is not predictable in sugar content and changes from varietal and from year to year.

If you canít get dextrose or DME, then use cane sugar. It works fine.
5/26/2006 10:39:56 PM

GEOBRAU 188:
Originally posted by erway
Originally posted by FOAMer

If you follow this link and try to prime with honey there is a hell of a good chance that one of two things will happen:
1) You will have a flat beer.
2) You will have a bottle bomb.

Honey is not predictable in sugar content and changes from varietal and from year to year.

If you canít get dextrose or DME, then use cane sugar. It works fine.

I am brewing a batch of "honey brown" for a friend next week and I had planned to use Papazianís "Elbro Nertke brown ale" recipe with a cup of honey at the end of the boil and also for priming.

This is the first time Iíve heard a warning about using honey.

So do you suggest honey in the boil only?

Iíve also heard conflicting info on the dangers of contamination by adding honey after the final hop addition when the flame is off. I donít want to boil off the character of the honey, but I donít want to risk infection.

5/31/2006 7:08:29 PM

premium
JoeMcPhee 8411:508
You can always figure out the gravity of the honey youíve got (if youíve got accurate measuring containers). Just dilute it 1:10 and figure out how many points youíll get from it when added to your batch.
5/31/2006 7:11:25 PM

Home > Forums > Homebrew

Page 1 | 2

Homebrew Shops - A collection of homebrew shops and supply houses submitted by RateBeer readers

Homebrewing Articles - RateBeer Magazine's homebrewing department

Homebrew Recipes - Experiment, share and post your own homebrew recipes

Until we can make beer come out of your monitor...

Beer2Buds
Send Beer Over The Net

Free signup now. Even out a trade, keep good vibes alive, say hi with a beer

Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers
add