RateBeer
home Home > Forums >
Industry | Beer Talk | Site News | Beer Trade | Beer Travel | Food/Beer | For Sale | New Here | Homebrew | Non-US | OT - Lite | OT - Medium

Professional Beer Monger??

read 3487 times • 49 replies • posted 4/24/2013 8:14:36 AM

Thread Frozen
Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5

ParkerDaniels
The places are already profitable, they just want to be able to provide something that no one else does or events that no one else has. Creating a small profit margin is their goal while providing a unique experince in their neighborhoods.

In speaking to them, I let them know that under no circumstances would I be a part of raping the public. I might be an a**hole, but I have my limits.
4/24/2013 10:04:47 AM

Private message send the author a private message

premium
NobleSquirrel 3437:209
Originally posted by foppa78
Originally posted by ParkerDaniels

As for the mark-up, charging astronomical prices and prison raping the general public is not something that I would be a part of and will not work for those that do.

How could a place pay you a salary and cover all of your expenses and NOT have to charge astronomical prices?

My guess is 200% mark up on bottles, which isnít really anything too crazy. $45 for a $15 bottle of beer. Plenty of people would pay that if it was rare. Factoring in the costs associated with sourcing the bottle, theyíll probably still make $10+ on each of those bottles. A better question is what sort of structure of pay exists. It wouldnít be hourly, obviously.
4/24/2013 10:04:59 AM

ParkerDaniels
Iím sure weíve all paid and traded some crazy prices and bottles for that one beer we just had to have. I just donít see it as being something you would want to do to your community. Thatís my opinion and I donít own any of these places, so I guess itís irrelevant.

Yes, the salary was worked out including an expense account. Literally could be the best job Iíve ever had...fun wise. Travel and beer?? Yeah, Iím into that. Working on the leagal end while we figure out the financials and profitability.
4/24/2013 10:12:14 AM

ParkerDaniels
Yes, the salary was worked out including an expense account. Literally could be the best job Iíve ever had...fun wise. Travel and beer?? Yeah, Iím into that. Working on the leagal end while we figure out the financials and profitability.

*legal* end. Jesus what is up with my spelling today
4/24/2013 10:22:31 AM

ParkerDaniels
Thanks for all your input everyone...really appreciate it!
4/24/2013 10:44:26 AM

premium
legion242 2224:116
If I understand the concept, and Iím not sure that I do, this reeks of plain old bootlegging.

Is an example of what you would be doing something like flying here to Texas for a Saint Arnold Divine release and buying up as much as you can and then driving it back to these stores in Cali?

If so, that is flat-out bootlegging.
4/24/2013 11:26:14 AM

ParkerDaniels
Originally posted by legion242
If I understand the concept, and Iím not sure that I do, this reeks of plain old bootlegging.

Is an example of what you would be doing something like flying here to Texas for a Saint Arnold Divine release and buying up as much as you can and then driving it back to these stores in Cali?

No...more like getting into relationships with brewers and distributors for kegs and releases. As the conversation moves forward, we may have found a way to do this that is legal, profitable, and wonít be taking away from any local beer drinkers that we engage with. Again, I will not engage in any behavior that hurts the beer community or the local community where these breweries are. I know how the hoarding of product affects the local market negatively. Iím a beer lover, I wonít sh*t where I drink.

Thanks for responding...do you think itís a viable job? Thatís the big question.
4/24/2013 11:36:33 AM

premium

No...more like getting into relationships with brewers and distributors for kegs and releases. As the conversation moves forward, we may have found a way to do this that is legal, profitable, and wonít be taking away from any local beer drinkers that we engage with. Again, I will not engage in any behavior that hurts the beer community or the local community where these breweries are. I know how the hoarding of product affects the local market negatively. Iím a beer lover, I wonít sh*t where I drink.

Thanks for responding...do you think itís a viable job? Thatís the big question.

Iíll be perfectly honest, no I donít see how it would be viable.

Are you talking about setting up these "relationships" with only breweries and distros in Cali?
4/24/2013 11:43:06 AM

ParkerDaniels

Are you talking about setting up these "relationships" with only breweries and distros in Cali?

See...I donít see it being financially stable or viable either, and thatís where the concern is. Like I said earlier, I really like these guys and donít want them to get into a bind over this venture.

Weíd like to set up relationships in multiple states, however, until I get some more information from the ABC and other governing bodies, we canít move forward with that. Thereís a lot of legal speak and ways in which states differ with their distributorship, etc. A lot to still accomplish before anything moves forward.
4/24/2013 11:56:33 AM

premium

See...I donít see it being financially stable or viable either, and thatís where the concern is. Like I said earlier, I really like these guys and donít want them to get into a bind over this venture.

Weíd like to set up relationships in multiple states, however, until I get some more information from the ABC and other governing bodies, we canít move forward with that. Thereís a lot of legal speak and ways in which states differ with their distributorship, etc. A lot to still accomplish before anything moves forward.

Well, just to use Texas as an example because it is the state whose laws I know the best, this would never work.
Re: Breweries- there is just no way around the 3-tier system
Re: Distros- they are tied to their territories and canít do business outside of those territories.
4/24/2013 12:00:44 PM

Home > Forums > Industry

Page 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Copyright © 2000-2014,
RateBeer LLC. All rights
reserved.
about us
About RateBeer
FAQ
Contact/Feedback
New Beers